Battle Fleet Gothic BFG Gerneal Rules Questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

BFG Gerneal Rules Questions

EDIT: So I had these great diagrams, but I guess LO didn't like them, I've attempted to put them in this album. But I think most of the questions are understandable without the visual aids.
    EDIT:ADDED PICTURES!
    -----
    So I've just finished my first real BFG game with all proxy pieces! and now have a few questions I was hoping to get clarified.

On Blast Markers

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...047-move-1.jpg
    1. IN Cruiser "Sitting Duck" (aptly renamed) is Crippled and has thruster damage after some fierce shooting. Is the movement score for the Cruiser now
    A. Base/2 [crippled] - Thruster Damage - having to move through a blast marker = 0 becoming -5 [Screwed]
    B. (Base - Thruster damage)/2[crippled] - Having to move through a blast marker = 5 becoming 0 [Still screwed]
    C. Other (please explain)
    2. The “Sitting Duck”…
    A. cannot turn as it does not minimum movement requirements for a cuiser
    B. can turn because [Citation]
    C. Just house rule it or you’re a jerk!
    3. The blast markers around the “Sitting Duck”…
    A. cannot be removed because they are basing a ship
    B. can be removed [Citation]
    C. Just house rule it or you’re a jerk!

On Torpedoes
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...046-torp-1.jpg
    1. The Cruiser Fudd can launch torpedoes off its prow. Does, "Move in a straight line" mean ONLY from the fixed 0/360 degree point off the prow of the ship(1/Green) or because it is “front arc” any point within that 90 degree front arc(2/White)

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...045-torp-2.jpg
    2. The Cruiser "Jerk face" was not watching its line of fire when they shot
    torpedoes. The volley went off and nicked the "Stabbity Death" causing 1 hit (Great job, Jerk) but all the other torpedoes flew past and into the "Unfortunate Soul". Does the "Unfortunate Soul" take friendly fire?

-End-

Sorry about the size of the post but these are the biggest questions that arose from two noob's dueling it out.

Last edited by Blind_Baku; January 21st, 2012 at 21:48.
    "The Lady Demands"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Alright, in the case of your Crippled Cruise, the aptly named 'Sitting Duck' is stuck in place until it can repair it's thrusters. Remember, Crippling only reduces your base speed by 5cm. So you have
    20cm, -10 for Thruster damage, -5 for crippled, -5 for blast marker = 0
    You could, if you wanted to, try to issue "All Ahead Full" orders to get through the damage, subtracting -1 to it's leadership for being in contact with blast markers, and adding +4D6cm to it's movement allowance. Essentially the captain is ordering your crew to rev the motors to get through the debris.
    --It cannot turn, it did not move far enough to meet the minimum 10cm before turning. Even on 'All Ahead Full' you cannot turn, because the order itself does not allow you to.
    And by the way, shame on you for getting your ship stuck into that position! haha.

Now, the Torpedo question is pretty easy. On Pg.28 of my rulebook, under the Ordnance rules, it specifies that
    "If the torpedo marker hits a ship's base (friend or foe) it attacks."
    So yes, Unfortunate Soul is going to take the hit. Remember however that Stabbity Death would have fired her defensive turrets at the volley, reducing it below the original number of Torpedoes, and now the Unfortunate Soul will also fire her turrets at the salvo, in attempt to avoid any misfortune herself.
    Be careful with Torps, they will mess you up if you aim them incorrectly. I tend to fire 1-2 salvos on the way in, to break up the enemy fleet, and then fire my remaining volleys at near point-blank ranges into combat. Torpedoes are awesome because they ignore shields, and if you're within 30cm you're going to hit the target before they can dodge or scramble fighters. A bit cheesy, but point-blank Torps are the Imperial arsenal's best friend.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Reading the most recent FAQ.

Not only can the poor "sitting duck" not move, it also counts as 'defences' for the purposes of being targeted (as do all ships moving under 5cm a turn), and yes, the blast markers cannot be removed because they are in base contact with a ship, so the sitting duck is very aptly named indeed! I believe option B is used to calculate it's movement, although there's nothing to that but common sense. As suggested, "all ahead full" is probably the only way to get out of that one semi-alive. Despite being immobile, I also see no reason why the ship couldn't tryto disengage, although obviously doing so would remove it from the game (quite wise under the circumstance). Since disengaging in BFG basically means turning off the power and hiding, it makes a degree of sense.

Torpedo rules have been overhauled a little in 2010, so to summarize.

* On the turn they are launched, torpedoes cannot interact with anything outside of the forward fire arc of the ship they are launched from. Thus, no deliberately launching torpedoes to make the marker clip ships which aren't in the forward fire arc (obviously, this doesn't apply to any subsequent movement by those torpedoes).

* When launching torpedoes, you place the marker at the end of its movement (30cm away from the ship and within the forward arc) and then retrace the movement the torpedo would have to cover to get there, resolving any attacks normally. This ensures no debates over what direction a torpedo is facing when it's placed on the board. If I'm reading right, this means that newly placed torpedo markers are moved at the end of the shooting phase, not in the ordinance phase (when the rest of the torpedoes are moved). This might sound confusing, but in practice any torpedo salvo which is only one move away from the ship that launched it was always launched this turn, because ordinance moves in every players' turn.

Also, yes, non-boarding torpedoes always cause friendly fire (and in fact blow up if they hit other friendly torpedo markers). However, if the "jerk face" was actually in base to base contact with the "unfortunate soul", it could fire torpedoes through it without affecting it.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; January 22nd, 2012 at 04:00.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    And by the way, shame on you for getting your ship stuck into that position! haha.
    For the record I was the Dark Eldar player that put the "sitting duck" there with my lovely 12 Batts >D

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis View Post
    * On the turn they are launched, torpedoes cannot interact with anything outside of the forward fire arc of the ship they are launched from. Thus, no deliberately launching torpedoes to make the marker clip ships which aren't in the forward fire arc (obviously, this doesn't apply to any subsequent movement by those torpedoes).
    Not sure what you mean here... sorry I'm new

Thank you both for the clarification on all of these issues that came up in the game, I know I've managed to find a new source of "plasti-crack" for myself as well as my buddy!
    Last edited by Blind_Baku; January 21st, 2012 at 21:45.
    "The Lady Demands"

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

The torpedoes not being able to hit anything which isn't in the ship's front arc is one of those things that was added as a catch-all so that you can't cheat. Basically, you can't angle the torpedoes in such a way that their first move would carry the edge torpedoes outside of the front arc. Like this:

can't hit this\__30cm___/can't hit this
    -can't hit this\_20_cm_/can't hit this-
    --can't hit this \10cm/ can't hit this--
    ---side---------ship------side-------
    ----arc--------/ rear \-----arc-------
    --------------/--arc--\--------------
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Yeah, sorry, I probably didn't explain very well.

What I basically mean is that if you want your torpedoes to hit something on the turn they're launched, the stem at the middle of the target ship's base needs to be within the correct fire arc on the launching ship. For example, if you have torpedoes which can only fire forwards (like Imperial ships do) then any target you want them to hit needs to have the centre of its base within the front fire arc. Anything else, even if the torpedo marker would actually touch it, is ignored.

Basically, going by a literal reading of the original rules you'd fire the torpedoes by placing them in base contact with the ship launching them and then just moving them in ordinance phase and resolving their attacks against anything which the marker itself touched the base of, regardless of what fire arc it was in. This means that if you launched a torpedo salvo at a 45 degree heading for example, the width of the marker and the size of the target's base would sometimes bring it into contact with enemies in the left or right fire arc of the ship which launched it.

It sounds pretty trivial, but it means for example that the Imperial cruiser 'Regula Invictus' could deliberately position itself so that the chaos cruiser 'Unbearable Frustration' was at an exact 46 degree heading, putting it just within the right fire arc when you measured it from stem to stem (which is how you check the fire arc for the purposes of gunnery, for example). Regula could thus fire all of its broadside guns at the Frustration and then still launch torpedoes at a 45 degree heading so that they'd still clip the Frustration's base.

Basically, rather than having to make a choice about which weapon to use, Imperial ships could theoretically use both against the same target as long as they hit this rather bizarre and arbitrary "sweet spot", which I don't think is really in the spirit of how the fleet was meant to work.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; January 22nd, 2012 at 04:49.

+ Reply to Thread