Retribution Class Battleship - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

everyone seems to be in love with the Emperor class. so what it can throw bombers up the rear but whoop de doo. ive got a all cruiser fleet with NO CARRIERS!!!! i hate carrier battles. im wanting to get a grand cruiser ( the one with the huge short range broadsides, vengance i think) and i have a retribution. why the heck does everyone hate it???!!! can you guys tell me why its so un loved and besides that, what its good for and how i should use it (i like cruisers/battlecruisers, they are easy to command)

thanks in advance!

~Joe

The Guardsmen Legions, we fight for the freedom!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G'Day Baron.

The answer to your question is probably very simple: most players recommend the Emperor over the Retribution. Just think --- when most newbies are starting out, they either ask the local players, or start posting questions on forums. They ask if their army lists are any good, or what they should add. They ask things like, what's the best Battleship? And, low and behold, most people recommend the Emperor because...well, someone once recommended it to them.

There are other reasons, of course. I think many people like the idea of a carrier leading the fleet, because that is how modern naval fleets are organized. Also, fighters and bombers are more versatile in BFG. Fighters can intercept torpedoes, bombers or other fighters and can lightly harass capital ships (right? I've never actually done that). Bombers are like torpedoes that you can control, which make them very useful. Overall I'd say that sums it up. But then, some people take it just cause they like the model more, I'm sure. Others just want to save the extra 20 points (Ret = 365, Emperor = 345).

But to be honest about the whole thing, the Retribution is much more of a battleship than the Emperor is. One player said as much to me, and claimed that he would much prefer his flagship to be right in the thick of things, trading salvos and launching ungodly amounts of torpedoes. I see his point. The Retribution is the bulldog. The Emperor is more of finesse ship. One could argue that the Emperor is more tactical, but then you could also argue that it is more sissy. In the end, pick what you want.

If I can guess at the reason for your post, you're wondering if you should get a Ret yourself, or stick with the tried and true Emperor. I say, if you're asking and interested in it, go with the Retribution. First of all, you'll be fielding something that fewer Imperial players do, so that gives you an edge because fewer opponents know what to expect. Also, if you prefer to "get your hands dirty", and like the idea of the brutish bulldog of a capital ship, then again, go for the Ret. You're call. Don't worry, your fleet and your battleplans won't fall apart just cause you take it. It is a strong ship, just not as well liked (for whatever reason) as the Emperor.

P.S. I personnally think the Retribution looks better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

The answer to your question is probably very simple: most players recommend the Emperor over the Retribution. Just think --- when most newbies are starting out, they either ask the local players, or start posting questions on forums. They ask if their army lists are any good, or what they should add. They ask things like, what's the best Battleship? And, low and behold, most people recommend the Emperor because...well, someone once recommended it to them.
    That is so true, it happens for every army in every system. There are quite a few units which I think are bad for things merely because other people have said so. In a lot of cases it turns out correct, but everyone has different styles so everything can work.

I got an Emperor, and I like the name but I don't really like the rules. I dislike the fighters and bombers so sometimes I even take an Apocalypse over and Emperor.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks guys, i think im gonna go ahead and get a Retribution and another cruiser box... 4 more str 12 broadsides.....

thanks for all the help!!

~Joe

PS: i dont use all those nova cannons though!!! too cheesy!!! just lotsa big broadsides.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Baron_Fredrick_von_Helsing@Feb 10 2005, 10:42
    thanks guys, i think im gonna go ahead and get a Retribution and another cruiser box... 4 more str 12 broadsides.....

thanks for all the help!!

~Joe

PS: i dont use all those nova cannons though!!! too cheesy!!! just lotsa big broadsides.....
    [snapback]325399[/snapback]
    Hallelujah! I have a large Imperial Navy fleet that is modeled, both in name and looks, on the Kriegsmarine from WWII. It is led by a Retribution named the Bismarck. The Retribution is a wonderful class of ship and although gun batteries are not always the best weapon they own Eldar, an otherwise stellar fleet, and have torps. A standard 1,000-1,750pt fleet of mine can fire between 30 and 42 torps per turn. Just think about that for a second. 30-42 torps at one's opponents. The Retribution assists in that area. It can shoot afar with 60mm batteries or can get medium range for more damage and better chance of its torps hitting something useful. Not a bad deal if you ask me. If one wishes for carriers then pull a Mars and use it as an attack carrier.

Jon
    Playing: BFG, Starship Troopers, GMC1, B5: ACTA, WFB, LoTR, Warmachine, FoW, Pirates of the Spanish Main, Heroclix, M:TG, and YGO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well.... a little more like the Royal Navy for me... w/o the carriers. kinda like WW1.
    i like the RN a little more the the DKM. but, i am not winning games... i got smashed by a proxy imperial fleet with a Emperor, a mars, and a few dictators... i think it was 2. 1000 pt game. (looking back thats abit over, but still.) i had my Retribution(Duke of York), 3 Dominators(Ajax, Achillies, Agamemnon) and 2 Cobras( patrol group south) all dominators replaced their Nova's with str 6 torpedos. we both raced in and i dont know how( besides bad dice) he did it but he launched all gis ordanance aginst my battleship. one of my first games. it sucks. i ended up getting rid of the Emperor, and lotsa damage to his fleet, but i lost...
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow that really is bad luck. I guess that is how my opponents feel when I unleash 30-40 torps on a turn. The Emperor is nice but why take that, unless you want the assault boats, when you can take a Mars and have some more versatility and a Retribution for a BB instead? Of course, you could take a Grand Cruiser instead of a BB to shave points and also have a quicker ship with decent firepower but having a BB is a lot of fun.

Jon
    Playing: BFG, Starship Troopers, GMC1, B5: ACTA, WFB, LoTR, Warmachine, FoW, Pirates of the Spanish Main, Heroclix, M:TG, and YGO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Baron_Fredrick_von_Helsing@Feb 10 2005, 09:42
    [snapback]325399[/snapback]
    Hey, as long as you don't overdose on Nova Cannons, your opponent will respect you for that. It's actually fluffy to take, say, one Nova Cannon ship in a 1,500 or 2,000 point fleet. The Nova Cannon is a very rare weapon, and while it has its strengths, they are nigh useless against Eldar. I should know, as I play the Eldar.

I know there are some other cool battleships one could use in an Imperial Navy fleet, but I don't have Armada yet. Perhaps when I can spare the small fortune it takes to purchase it, or maybe barter my car for it.

If you wanna go with a Retribution, don't let anyone stop you. It'll be a real curveball. Of course, my Imperial buddy uses an Apocalyse as his flagship. He has no carriers and four nova cannons. He was a little miffed when I fielded my Eldar against him, and I only saw one nova cannon on the table, which was on a Dominator.

Of course, the opponents you commonly play will influence what you choose as well. There's a Space Marine player in our group that we face often, so I find myself loading up on Pulsar Lances when I face him. The Imperial buddy brings nova cannons and lances, as well as Firestorms and Cobras. Our common opponents influenced our fleet choices, which could happen to anyone.

Of course, Houston is right in the fact that you could field any combonation of ships under the points limit and other restrictions and it would not be cheesy. If you take lots of carriers against a battle line, each side is at a disadvantage to the other.

Good luck in your games, and my the Emperor bless your dice.
    You must never forget the essence of your spark
    All of that which defines you is the essence of your blood
    The infection has been removed
    The soul of the machine has improved

Look into my eyes
    Tell me what you see
    Someone real?
    This is real!
    What you wish to be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since when did the Armada book cost a fortune? I got mine for around 25 or 30 at a local gaming store. That's rather inexpensive for a book.

Eek Eldar are scary. Retribution is a good ship that can actually do damage to them. I'm not sure what your opponents are, Baron, but Shas'el makes a good point. Opponents dictate purchases. If I constantly faced Eldar I wouldn't buy ships and equip them with lances. Just doesn't make sense. But, I would buy a lot of ships that have lots of gun batteries, like the Retribution, because they make Eldar ships become pretty fireworks.

Jon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ^raven^@Mar 11 2005, 00:34
    Since when did the Armada book cost a fortune? I got mine for around 25 or 30 at a local gaming store. That's rather inexpensive for a book.
    [snapback]349591[/snapback]
    I know, it's just a humorous exaggeration on my part. That's why I added a to it.

My friends Space Marine fleet is scary. He has no lances at all (no Firestorms or Novas), and enough weapons batteries and bombardment cannons to make me regret any mistake I make within his firing range. Imperial battle line fleets with lots of range just make me shake in my Skechers (shoes), and I have not yet met a Chaos player and dread the day I do. They have more range than Imperial Navy ships for the most part, and can take enough ordnance to really test my holofields. I may have the edge in mobility, but if I don't take out a threat when I need to then I'll have hell to pay.
    You must never forget the essence of your spark
    All of that which defines you is the essence of your blood

Look into my eyes
    Tell me what you see
    Someone real?
    This is real!
    What you wish to be

+ Reply to Thread