Planet Killer broke... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Planet Killer broke...

It dropped off a table when I was moving my vodka, didn't smash completely but a few pieces came off.. Worst of all the stalk obviously broke right near the top where the ship is. These things are a b*tch to glue in the first place, and my experience with light plastic reavers is they are very hard to fix...

Surely since every model in BFG has these bases it must happen fairly often, so what do people do to fix them? Any good easy ideas?

I've been fortunate, this is my first brake since I got them in October last year. I thought it would happen more often judging from how many of my other models brake..

Thanks for any ideas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x2)

Do you have a pin vice? If so, I'd recommend getting some brass wire and drilling a hole in the stem and the hole of the ship. This'll allow you to pin the Planet Killer to the base and it should stay put. It's worked with all of my Eldar capital ships, so it should work with the Planet Killer. I pin every capital ship I own right off the bat to prevent such an occurance from happening. I can say it works, and so can my Imperial Navy and Space Marine buddies.

Let us know how the repairs come.

Victorus aut mortis,
    -Archetype
    signature pending

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

All metal BFG models should be pinned, the bases are a lot less stable than 40K or Fantasy bases are. I've found that copper earth cable is better than brass wire- it's slightly thinker so is more stable, but is just as malleable so you can bend it with just as much ease. Citadel superglue tends to like it a lot more (if only it would like Citadel metal....).
    --Monsieur

"Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours"
    -Zen proverb
    Have you been touched?
    Pirate's Haven

USE TEH REP BUTTON

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monsieurcartier
    All metal BFG models should be pinned, the bases are a lot less stable than 40K or Fantasy bases are. I've found that copper earth cable is better than brass wire- it's slightly thinker so is more stable, but is just as malleable so you can bend it with just as much ease. Citadel superglue tends to like it a lot more (if only it would like Citadel metal....).
    Do you file the areas you glue? You should file any area that will come into contact with your superglue. Pewter tends to oxidate when sitting around in a blister pack and this oxidation interferes with superglue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

Just washing it in warm soapy water beforehand does the job, just as you would do with resin. I tend to file them down anyway to make a nice snug contact between the two pieces- you know how shoddy citadel metal models are, how they're the only thing that superglue won't stick together properly.

And just to be sad, it's oxidise, not oxidate
    --Monsieur

-Zen proverb
    Have you been touched?
    Pirate's Haven

USE TEH REP BUTTON

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember boys, don´t drink and play warhammer¡¡¡
    Don´t try to hide, i can smell your corruption...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

Whoa, freaky upside down !'s. The crazyness of it all.
    --Monsieur

-Zen proverb
    Have you been touched?
    Pirate's Haven

USE TEH REP BUTTON

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

Yeah I can do them tooiii In fact it is so easy you will laugh, unless you are being sarcastic...
    The second last letter in the word sarastic is simply how I got it, couldn't think of a better way to describe it without just writing i which doesn't help much...

Great tip to not be a drunk general (admiral) because it is really hard to see the miniatures, and it always looks like you have more than you actually do, plus they will always break.

Umm... Just so this post isn't completely off topic, I found my pin vice but the not so fond memories of it biting me on my first and only try pinning something and the little success I had with that kinda put me off. I haven't got around to fixing it yet, though I have fixed the bent pieces and glued the broken bits back on just haven't put it on a stalk yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

170 (x5)

I took a different approach than pinning.
    I did not glue the bases in at all on my capital ships. Instead, around the main spoke of the stand I sculpted a broad (around five millimeters in diameter) Green Stuff platform of sorts for the ship to rest on. I never have to worry about the spoke breaking off inside the ship again. (This was a lifesaver for my Necron Tombship)

Apropos alcohol, try playing the following BFG drinking game: any time anyone declares "Brace for Impact" take a drink. On a failed leadership check, have a drink for every point you failed by.
    Last edited by Quick; July 27th, 2005 at 17:34.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Quickasawink
    around the main spoke of the stand I sculpted a broad (around five millimeters in diameter) Green Stuff platform of sorts for the ship to rest on. I
    That is definetly the way to go for BIG ships, really, you don't need to put anything on a flying base, since LOS is measured along the ground as opposed to actually over interspersed terrain par WHFB&40K
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast