Cityfight and Table designing - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cityfight and Table designing

Ive played a few city fight battles here and there but i wanted to get my dark angels more city fights as i've found they excel at it, being stubburn help a lot at holding buildings. i've seen a few people say there going to create tables, i want to make one for myself now, can someone help me, how do i start and plan it? what size should it be? any other pointers are most welcome!

For The Emperor
    And Lion El Johnson

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Right now my BF and I are in the process of building modular city fight terrain. Bunch of destroyed buildings, a compound, a power plant, and a city park thingy.

What we used is the realy thin partical board you can get at home depot or what ever, it's like 4'x2' or something, so it can fit in your car. We make a bunch of lines indicating where to cut, then slice it up. Normaly each peice is 1'x'1 some are 1'x2' so we can have long buildings. We have 2 2'x2' peices for the compounds.

Then we used foamboard for the walls of the buildings. Put some wood filler on them to make them look stone. We didn't use a lot of wood filler, just enough to scrape the sides and give them texture (useing a butter knife ). When thats dry we added rocks and sand to the bases, just like when painting models. Our city is snow, so we added snow to the buildings and roofs of temples and what not. Looks pretty awsome, and the fact that it's modular makes it great. We can just move it if we're tired of playing on the same table. There is enough terrain to play on a 8'x4' table (standard size).

-Jenn

Current Armys
    Tomb Kings, Marines, Eldar

AKM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

Take a look at my modular table http://photobucket.com/albums/b356/travelling_tree/here.

It's made of 12"x12" pieces of styrofoam, with composite wood underneath. I used old playmobil and such to do the sidewalks, and more styrofoam for the buildings, as well as GW plastic and foam products.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tips

i use balsa wood and styrofoam also what makes good terrain that i used was a mission kit from michals aswell as the trees that you can buy there....i also found a nifty thing you would be interested in if you are doing a snow themed city they have stuff called santas snow its a spray on sniow effect and it works very well....good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by AKM
    Take a look at my modular table http://photobucket.com/albums/b356/travelling_tree/here.

It's made of 12"x12" pieces of styrofoam, with composite wood underneath. I used old playmobil and such to do the sidewalks, and more styrofoam for the buildings, as well as GW plastic and foam products.
    AKM: Initially I really liked your 12x12 building modules separated by 12x12 road sections. However, after further thought, it feels like there would be too much open space and/or not enough buildings and "crowded" feeling if you put too many roads on the board.

I see a 4' x 6' game table holding a total of 24 12x12 building modules (ignoring 12x24 "double" buildings). Do you put a road every other "block" or what?

I can see a 4x6 game table with a single road going both directions with a single intersection. Obviously the road can go in any Row or any column. B=Building and r=Road

BBrBBB
    rrrrrr
    BBrBBB
    BBrBBB

This allows for some avenues of approach while maintaining a less vehicle-friendly table.

Again, ignoring double buildings, you would have 15 building modules and 9 road modules.

I think I just talked myself into doing a cityfight table!

Jon
    [COLOR=DarkRedI got my tournament t-shirts at mathhammer.net[/COLOR]

Senior Member Librarian Augustine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

I see that you are a dark angels player. For all your dark angels needs visit the thread titled The "Order of The White Sword Inner Circle" in the clubs and clans section. Good luck with that cityfight table dark angels do excel at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Order xenical, buy xenical, cheapest prices

ORDER XENICAL AT CHEAPEST PRICES

Use Xenical as directed by your doctor.

* Read the chart on the medicine package. You may consider starting Xenical if your weight is the same or more than the weight shown for your height.
    * Take Xenical by mouth with each meal containing fat. Do not take more than 3 capsules daily.
    * If a meal is missed or contains no fat, do not take a dose of Xenical.
    * Xenical may decrease your absorption of vitamins. Take a multivitamin once a day at bedtime.

Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Xenical.

CLICK HERE TO BUY XENICAL

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Alright, barring the ***king bot, here are my suggestions (cityfight is the only way I'll play 40k anymore).

Roads: Don't make your tiles a full 12"x12". Instead, determine how wide you want a single lane road to be (we use 4in in my group). Then, determine how many "lanes" you want to have run across direction of the table. Divide the space taken up by roadways equally among the sections. You will also need square intersection pieces for your roads. It sounds confusing, but here's a walthrough-

Dealing with a 4x6 table
    I want 4" lanes in the road, giving us 8" wide roads if placed together.
    I want 3 lanes of traffic running from long-edge to long-edge.
    3x4 = 12".
    Usually, you would have 6, 12"x12" sections along the long board edge
    12" of road % 6 tiles = 2" per tile
    I need to make 10" by 10" building tiles, and 4"x10" road tiles.
    I will need 4" by 4" intersection pieces (and optional 8"x8" intersection pieces)
    Each of your building tiles should be elevated slightly. I've elected not to include sidewalks on my bases, as it would look strange to have two sidewalks butting up against each other without a street in the middle. I'll explain how I might do sidewalks later.

Versatility: I intend to put all the buildings buildings and roads on bases of foam. That allows me to dig craters into the roads and into the bases of the buildings. More importantly, it allows me to create toxic rivers. To make the toxic river, I'll flip over the road tiles and carve water features into them. I plan to leave banks on the rivers at the original height, so that the road side would be even height and remain stable. I'll have a shape sort of like this:

|\river/|
    |_____|
    road

The negative depth of the river will make it look convincing and will let me put floating debris like barrels and corpses into it, as well as making use of PVA water. The banks will be finished with gravel and chopped sprue for garbage.
    My small intersection pieces are small bridges and walkways. Even if they don't connect roads, it makes sense that there might be a wide pathway over the water between two buildings. Placing several of the small footbridges together (for 8" wide rivers) creates the look of a double arched bridge. The ends of each bridge (where they meet the roads) will also be carved out slightly, so that if I need to put 4 of the sections together for an intersection between 2, 8" wide rivers, it will still look like the water can flow through all sides.

Buildings will be made of plasticard, with a brick pattern scored into them and carefully accented with paint. I plan to have 2 layers of reasonably thick card, so that walls appear appropriately thick and so that I can easily put shallow bullet holes into the walls by drilling through a single sheet before gluing them together. The double-thickness will also make it possible to insert convincing windows by placing bits of the clear plastic blisters between the two layers. All windows will be single pieces wherever possible, with thinner layers of plasticard laid across to separate it into individual panes. This will keep the windows from becoming too fragile.
    The double-thick layers will make floors more easy to add as well, since I can use the outer layer as a shell, and make removable floors and rooftops which rest on the interior layer.

I plan to use a few removable bits of terrain, like gantries to go between buildings, and a few Inquisitor-scale "statues" and fountains to put in the larger intersections, as well as the obvious razor-wire lines, tank traps, and strategem markers.

I've love the battle of Stalingrad, so I plan on having a few interchangeable special features, like trench tiles, waste-land tiles, and a section of docks to put against the river, and I hope to finish the entire thing in snow and ice (icicles can be made with strings of hot-glue). I'm hoping to find a way to maybe photoshop some nice imperial propaganda posters and templates so that I can decorate the sides of my buildings. I have a friend with some old tanks and such that he said he'd donate so that I can convert up some abandoned construction vehicles and wrecks.

Now to just get the cash and the motivation to truly get started up!
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Thank goodness for the bot, I was looking for Xenical at reasonable prices...

A city fight board is the ideal place for modular terrain, at warhammer world they have some great cities of death boards with loads of interchangable buildings and areas of elevation. You can also create complete buildings and their destroyed counterparts and so swap them round during the battle should buildings get destroyed.

@CaptainSarathai- your board sounds like it could be really awesome if you pull it off- be sure to do a project log i'd love to see how it shapes together.
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    149 (x3)

I saw a super cool City Map a few months ago and for the life of me can't remember where to get it.
    It is a high res print out of several sheets of 2x4 rollup mat/paper. It had roads ruined buildings, everything and looked fantastic! I think it was $80USD or so.
    If anyone knows what I'm talking (er writing) about, please let me know as I was to buy it.

Thanks,
    -John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast