Lances or Batteries? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Lances or Batteries?

Lances seem to be the power weapns of BFG. But since most ships can only bring 2 of them to bear in each arc I question their effectiveness. I was thinking of creating a lance-heacy Chaos list and was wondering if anyone has had prior experience with this type of fleet. I'm a 40k player and have just started reading about BFG now that the rules are free.

I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

You could always go with a captured ships list. Just cause your chaos does not mean your bound to use only chaos ships. (thats the imperium) Just 'capture' or salvage a couple of gothic class cruisers in your fleet...

Another thing for powerful lance fleets: Eldar (most fo their ships dont have beyond strength 1 lance, but that 1 has the potential to become 3)

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Just remember that Lances are less than effective versus all enemies - Eldar for example are more vulnerable to Batteries. Also, Lances are (more often than not) shorter range than Batteries and Ordnance.

I think BFG works best with combined weapons. A good fleet should have a little bit of everything, although a focus on one weapon over the others is fine, as long as it doesn't exclude them.

As for actual ships for a Lance-heavy Chaos fleet, can't help ya ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

I find lance heavy fleets are very powerful.. They cut up other ships far quicker than if you use batteries, max out on them and no imperial player at least will stand a chance. Just focus your fire, blow a ship to bits, then focus on another one. Whenever I play I have to limit them because they're effective..

But I haven't played any others besides Chaos and Imperial, so it could well be that they aren't so good against others.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

The most isloated capital city in the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have a few weapon batteries to knock down the shields, so that no lance shots are wasted
    Only a few prefer liberty - the majority seek nothing more than fair masters

Sallust, Histories

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Acherons are a no no

I'd focus on a slaughter or devastation for lance firepower and possibly a murder, steer clear of Acherons they are not as good as they are cracked up to be dedicating a whole broadside to lances was not my favourite choice (even at 60cm), And as people have said choas are not the best in the bunch for lances neigther are imps (though they are better) Eldar, Dark eldar, and Necrons are better. Eldar get the famed Pulsar lance which for each point of strength (as has already been mentioned) can get up to three hits. The 'Shadow Lance' (correct me If i'm wrong i think thats what its called) can get two hits if you roll 5+ to hit and the Necron Gauss Whip can ignore sheilds on a roll of 6. AAll of them have their advantages and disadvantages and its up to you. I prefer getting up close with batteries and ordanance in a classic Pincer movement. ( i know its overated and an overused term but it works for me :tongue: ) . Try both tactics lances and close up batteries and see which you prefer, though close up is potentially more risky it is also potentially more devastating.
    Last edited by Hakashin; December 20th, 2005 at 11:16. Reason: Typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry couldn't figure out how to delete so Ive edited to a short one sorry
    Last edited by Hakashin; December 20th, 2005 at 11:38.

The most isloated capital city in the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking of creating a lance-heacy Chaos list
    Pray you dont meet an eldar fleet. They get a 2+ save against all lance shots:yes:
    Only a few prefer liberty - the majority seek nothing more than fair masters

Sallust, Histories

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Personally i find lances to be overrated. There is nothing like pumping a 12 strong bat broadside into the prow or rear of an enemy cruiser within 15cm...bats are harder to use, but they can hit a lot harder than lances if one does it right.

Keep in mind that bats benefit more from lock on than lances do. Lances get a +50% firepower bonus by lock on, but bats against 5+ armour get +66%, and even +83% against 6+ armour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

In boxing terms, Weapons Batteries are your jabs and body-blows. Lances are your hooks. (Hit and Run is an uppercut, I suppose.)

A boxer uses jabs and shots to the midsection to weaken his opponent and keep him off-balance so that in combinations he can land a hook or an uppercut. A boxer who goes straight for the hook had better be extremely resilient, because he will get hit a lot.

This is similar to a fleet that goes lance-heavy. So many of your shots will be wasted trying to knock down shields that you will give your opponent too much time to get in range for all of his weapons. Against Eldar, a lance-heavy fleet is almost impotent because lances do not hit Eldar ships very easily.

A good and well-applied balance of Weapons Battery, Lance, and Ordnance fire will beat any opponent any day.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast