Ordnance Protection - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Ordnance Protection

I am going to start a Chaos fleet and was wondering what the general tactic from protecting it from ordnance was. I will be playing aginst Imperial and Eldar mostly. I know Eldar aren't big on ordnance but the Imperial torpedo salvo is especially worrisome. I have a few questions if you have the time:

1. Is it better to keep a few fighters as Close Air Support around your fleet or use them as a picket line instead? Using CAS mens the fighter is in B2B contact with a ship of your fleet. This means it can only protect that one ship. If you keep a few fighter squadrons about 10cm around your fleet they can better protect against incoming torpedoes for the entire fleet.
    1A. If using CAS is there a reason to use more than one fighter squadron per ship?
    1B. If using CAS will it protect you from a close-range torpedo attack (shoot and hit in the same turn)?

2. I keep thinking I would bring a few smaller carriers just to have 3-4 fighters patrolling my fleet to protect against ordnance. But that tactic severely limits me tactically as I am only using the carriers for defense instead of bombing runs. Is there a more effective way to defend against incoming ordnance besides other ordnance?

I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The most isloated capital city in the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know Eldar aren't big on ordnance but the Imperial torpedo salvo is especially worrisome
    Eldar torpes are far more dangerous than imperial ones, as they can re-roll hits and are launched from extremely fast and agile ships, allowing them to make precision torpedo strikes

1. Is it better to keep a few fighters as Close Air Support around your fleet or use them as a picket line instead
    I'd say go hunting. Depending on the size of your fleets, there shouldnt be that many bombers in the air.

If using CAS will it protect you from a close-range torpedo attack (shoot and hit in the same turn
    No, as fighters always ignore torps, nice try though

I keep thinking I would bring a few smaller carriers just to have 3-4 fighters patrolling my fleet to protect against ordnance. But that tactic severely limits me tactically as I am only using the carriers for defense instead of bombing runs. Is there a more effective way to defend against incoming ordnance besides other ordnance?
    Well, once you have launched the fighters, the carriers can go on launching bomber waves, so that isnt that bad

Final note, just remeber that your opponent will likely just be as worried about your ordnance as you are of thiers, especially eldar.
    Only a few prefer liberty - the majority seek nothing more than fair masters

Sallust, Histories

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by bicycle repairman
    Eldar torpes are far more dangerous than imperial ones, as they can re-roll hits and are launched from extremely fast and agile ships, allowing them to make precision torpedo strikes

I'd say go hunting. Depending on the size of your fleets, there shouldnt be that many bombers in the air.

No, as fighters always ignore torps, nice try though

Well, once you have launched the fighters, the carriers can go on launching bomber waves, so that isnt that bad

Final note, just remeber that your opponent will likely just be as worried about your ordnance as you are of thiers, especially eldar.
    Fighters do not ignore torps, they destroy them automatically and return to their mothership to rearm.

There was a rule somewhere that stated that a carrier couldn't have more squadrons in the air than they have hangars. So once you launch all of your fighters you have to wait until they return until you can launch bombers. Fighters aren't the same as dumb-fire torpedoes.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

+ Reply to Thread