Warband in Progress. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warband in Progress.

Hi guys,

I'm working on a warband for our 40k scale =][= campain. My first two characters:

Inquisitor Ammon Frost

‘We pray for the souls adrift on the tide…’ spoke the priest, making the Sign of the Aqulia on his chest, indicating to the rest of the congregation that this week’s sermon was over, there weekly devotion to the Emperor was over. The closing line was taken from the Navis Noblius, in remembrance of the sons and daughters of Connrax taken by the fickle powers of the warp. Connrax produced some of the finest space captains and Marines in the Imperium, or so the flyers at the local recruiting office said.

The carried the chapel relic. Ammon recognized it from one of his father’s books on the military of the Imperium as a Mark IV sickle pattern bolter, gifted to the district as they saved the bodies of three dead battle-brothers of the Raven Guard Chapter from muties when there casket-lander detached from the Thunderhawk gunship that was transporting it from a nearby space hulk. The Space Marines had found something nasty there, evidently. The bolter was still loaded, filled with the blessed rounds of the God-Emperor’s divine rule.

Suddenly, there was a scream. A congregation of strange warriors had entered the chapel, wielding long rifles. They where dressed in sand-coloured armor and Ammon recognized them from the scrawled images on the sub-transporter carriages. Tau…

The priest collapsed onto his knees, the holy bolter slipping from his grasp. The citizen scrambled over the pews, desperate to get away from the aliens, despite the fact that they had not even raised there rifles. Frost sat still, however. One of the aliens came up to him and touched his shoulder. Frost was shaking now. The alien cleared his throat and spoke in High Gothic, accented, by clearly the language of the Imperium of Man

‘I come on behalf of the Council of T’au, to free you of the enslavement of your so-called God.’

Frost spun around landing a firm punch on the exposed face of the Water Caste member. The Fire Warriors where initially stunned-they had not considered the sixteen year old to be a threat. The confusion gave time for Frost to roll into the isle and retrieve the holy bolter lying undistinguished in the aisle. While screaming the holy words of battle, Frost poured bolter fire onto the Tau warriors. The squad of Fire Warriors feel in a ungainly pile on the floor, shreds ripped out of them by the blessed bolts of his weapon.

Frost charged out of the chapel to join the resistance.

After the invasion of Connrax was suppressed by the arrival of the already famed Raven Guard, there where stories everywhere about a boy who had united the forces of Connrax against the alien menace, who had led guerilla raids on the Tau, with the skill of Commissar Yarrick, some said. He had the heroic nature to lead, even though he was softly spoken, except in the hear of battle. An Ordo Xenos Inquisitor named Grux who had supervised the reclamation of Connrax. He meet with Frost and was taken back by the boy’s determination to lead and his skill at it-the head of the Connrax PDF was listing to his advice very intently. But his exploits lead further than that. He had dug out the source of the alien propaganda, and infiltrated the hab-block in which an illegal las-line was channeling the propaganda in. He learnt all he needed to know and then set a company of PDF on the building. Grux offered this boy the chance of training as a Acolyte under him-and the next day he left, wearing carapace armour taken off the dead body of a Connrax Marine, a cloak and carrying a chain sword, taken from a Raven Guard Sergeant, when the arm that was holding it was blown off by a blast from a Tau battle suit and hefting the blessed bolter that he had carried with him through the war.

Now, Frost is a (remarkably young) fully fledged Inquisitor in the Ordo Xenos, and dedicates himself to rooting out alien propaganda and subdue on Imperial worlds.

Equipment: Mk IV Bolter with one reload, an autopistol with dum-dums, a chainsword, carapace armor on all locations but arms and head, flak armor on arms, 3 frag and 2 krak grenades.

Special Abilities: Leader, Heroic, Hipshooter, True Grit, Nerves of Steel, Lightning Reflexes

WS BS S T I Wp Sg Nv Ld
    80 80 65 65 80 80 90 85 90

Frost is right handed.

Gunnery Sergeant Erikson Uhle

Gunny Uhle grew up on a farm on the Agri-world Hyatuis III. He spent his youth hunting vermin in the forests of his homeworld. When the Guard recruiters came, they where quickly impressed by the boy’s talent with a lasgun. He was soon marked for a career as a sniper in one of the Combat Engineer Regiments.

Uhle came to the attention of Inquisitor Frost when a Colonel, jealous of Uhle skills, challenged him to a shooting match. Uhle beat the colonel comprehensively, but foolishly, as the Colonel was a vain man, ‘discovered’ xenos technology in Uhle’s highly tuned gunsight, and immediately detained him for prompt execution for the crime of ‘Not destroying xenos technology recovered in the field of battle’. This came to the attention of Frost, who on a quick inspection of Uhle’s longlas discovered that the ‘xenos tech’ was nothing more that a small piece of Tau Armour bolted on by someone whose DNA matched the Colonel’s. Frost offered Uhle a chance for survival-to join his warband, and have revenge on the Colonel, or be unjustly executed. Uhle accepted, and the Colonel was found the next day, three lasbolts to the head.
    He serves Frost with devotion, to seeking out those who lie and deal with the Xenos. That said, he has made a few ‘unofficial’ improvements to his long las at Frost’s instance.

Equipment: Long Las with Rangefinder, Infrascope, Motion Predictor and two reloads, laspistol with three reloads, flak armour on chest and groin, 2 points of armour on all other location except head, bayonet*

*As a dedicated sniper, Uhle will not attach his bayonet as it will decrease the accuracy of his weapon. It counts as a knife in all respects.

Special Abilities: Deadeye Shot, Quickload, Rock Steady Aim, Fast Draw

WS BS S T I Wp Sg Nv Ld
    39 90 50 45 65 60 75 60 70

Uhle is right handed.

The Inquistor is young-he hasn't devolped any kooky psyhic powers yet, but may devolp some influence type ones as he devlopes. I've tried to keep his wargear under control: seeing the destructive power of a bolt pistol in the GW Studio Lichenstien/Kessel/Tyrus campaign, I've given him only one realod and no special bolts. Should he even have the reload at all?

Frost is most likely going to be a (heavy) convert on a Kasrkin Sarge, replacing the sword and the hellpistol with a chainsword and bolter, respecticly, adding a cloak or some sort of robes with Green Stuff and doing something to the backpack to difference him from the enforcer/judge which will be joining the warband

Uhle will be a Cadian sniper, with not much need for conveting. Maybe a funky base. He's a great sniper but weak in CC, his quickdraw laspistol being his only defence.

The other character in the warband will be some sort of Enforcer/Judge, with convert on a plain karskin, mainly turning the hellgun into a combat shottie.

It's a young warband with plenty of potential to grow through campains. What do you guys think? Over/underpowered?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had far to much time on my hands for this one:

Adeptus Arbites Lieutenant Lukka Halloran

Lt. Halloran was on the promotion fast track in the Adeptus Arbites when he and Inquisitor Frost crossed paths on the Hive World of Terra Memoralias IV. There had been a serious problem with Tau propaganda there and when Frost and Uhle arrived, Lt. Halloran was designated as his liaison officer.

The three quickly bonded-the skill of Uhle’s rifle saved the Lieutenant’s life from a pro-Tau supporter wielding a naval pistol in one of the more dangerous Hive levels. Frost was often impressed by Halloran’s investigative skills, and his skill in using non-lethal methods, including the Taser and plastic baton rounds in his shotgun.

When it came time for Frost to leave the planet, he requested that Halloran be detached to him as a permanent member of his warband. Frost uses Halloran to assist with his investigation and often to liaise with local Arbites forces.

Equipment: Linked* Pump action combat shotgun with laser sight with 24 normal rounds, 4 executioner shells and 10 plastic baton rounds, a Taser with one spare battery, an auto pistol with two reloads, one with dum-dums and the other with man stoppers, shock maul, carapace armour on all locations, closed helmet with a re-breather, medi-pack, Auspex bio-scanner incorporated into helmet

Special Abilities: Ambidextrous, Deadeye shot, Furious assault, Medic, Rock Steady Aim, Hipshooting, Quickload.

WS BS S T I Wp Sg Nv Ld
    78 76 60 60 69 73 76 73 75

Taser: A ranged less-lethal weapon often used by Arbites officers, the taser looks like a pistol which fires a pair of electro-probes which are followed by 50,000-100,000 volts of pure electricity. A taser is fired like an ordinary pistol, range A. Once it hits, it can be used in two ways:

Zap: The character only gives the victim a short zap, enough to incapacitate them for one turn. The target must take a toughness test at -50% or be stunned for one turn.

Dump: The character dumps a whole battery load of power at maximum voltage into the unfortunate victim. The target must take a toughness test at -25% or lose consciousness. If the toughness test is passed, the character is assumed to have been ‘zapped’ once (and must take another toughness test as above.

A player can use more than one zap per shot. The target must take subsequent toughness tests at -50% for every zap received. This is increased by -5% every subsequent zap-so the second zap test will be taken at -55% toughness, the third at -60% and so on. However, for every subsequent zap after the first one, there is a 20% chance that the thrashings of the target will dislodge one or both of the electro-probes. Once this occurs, no more zaps can be used. For every subsequent zap, the target is stunned for another turn.

A taser battery lasts for six zaps or one dump.

A taser will easily pass through flak or similar armour-they are designed to stop ballistic impacts. However, armour 6 and above has only a 75% chance of penetrating, armour 7 50% chance, armour 8 25% chance armour 9 10% and armour 10 or above 5% chance.

It can be a rather frighting experience being tasered. The GM might want to introduce some rules to represent this.

Plastic Baton Round: Also called ‘slap’ rounds, these are large hollow-point shotgun shells made out of hard plastic. They have the same effect as a ‘zap’ from a taser. Also, every character has a knockout value equal to 10% of their toughness, rounding to the nearest 0.5. Every hit by a slap round to the arms or legs takes 0.5 from the knockout value of the character, every hit to the chest/back takes 1 from the KV, every hit to the groin takes 2 and every hit to the head takes three. When the KV reaches zero, the character falls unconscious.

Linked: The weapon is attached to the character-this can be anything from a crude chain to an auto-readying hands-free firing system! The character will never drop this weapon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK generally:
    Fluff:
    Grammar:
    You need to use shorter sentences and re read, I think your spell checker may have taken liberties.
    Content:
    not bad, but a couple of irksome bits:

The majority of humanity are not aware of the threats they face, most would never have seen an SM I would therefore ditch the references to marines comming from te planet.

The Bolter as an Icon is fine and your explanation of his recognition would be very uncommon but fair ennough. However, part of what the inquisition does in protect humanity from alien influence, the common populace would not have access to any information on even the existance of the Tau, possession of any information would result in death for those possesing it and those associated with them. There is no way he would recognise them as Tau, I would re write this bit, he will, clearly once he is a fully fleged memeber of the ordos, have access to information on Tau, so I would re word this to say something like "he say [physical description] which he would later ome to recognise as [What they are]" - clearly can be made more dramatic.

I also dont like the Taus speach, quite asside from the spell checker messing it, it appears to agressive/arogant, more akin to Eldar or Chaos than Tau, I would re word to make it more like a slaes pitch for the greater good.

Finaly dont like the Firewarriors not considering a 16year old a threat, they would consider him a threat, you need some reason for him get the drop on them, perhaps a distraction, after all mostly citizens would be horified by the presence of aliens, and the priest would go beserk

Stats:
    your guys are quite powerfull now that is not a criticism directly, it depends on the campaign or opposition, but they are consistantly stat wise in the 60-80 range the average huan is more like 20-30, therefore these guys are way powerfull (got no objection to stats in that range, but all stats would seem excessive) however as I said it depends on the power of your opposition. Same applies to your inquisitors abilities, this list is repeated time and time again on Inquistor forums by new players and results in groans all round from the more experianced, not becuase they are ineffective, quite the reverse, but where is the character or the fun in playing such a solid character? Again though ou have to bear in mind what your opponent has

Dont like the taser rules, tasers are Essentially shock weapons which are covered in the rules, worse still they rely on darts to work, flack armour could potentailly give you more than sufficent protection

Think the snipers BS is too high, did you use the pathfinder Archetype to create him?

Sorry of that sounds a little hard, wasnt meant to be, overall a good effort and a very solid band but already sarting to go down the tooled to kill route at the expense of cinematics and flaws
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine
    OK generally:
    Fluff:
    Grammar:
    You need to use shorter sentences and re read, I think your spell checker may have taken liberties.
    Content:
    not bad, but a couple of irksome bits:

The majority of humanity are not aware of the threats they face, most would never have seen an SM I would therefore ditch the references to marines comming from te planet.

The Bolter as an Icon is fine and your explanation of his recognition would be very uncommon but fair ennough. However, part of what the inquisition does in protect humanity from alien influence, the common populace would not have access to any information on even the existance of the Tau, possession of any information would result in death for those possesing it and those associated with them. There is no way he would recognise them as Tau, I would re write this bit, he will, clearly once he is a fully fleged memeber of the ordos, have access to information on Tau, so I would re word this to say something like "he say [physical description] which he would later ome to recognise as [What they are]" - clearly can be made more dramatic.

I also dont like the Taus speach, quite asside from the spell checker messing it, it appears to agressive/arogant, more akin to Eldar or Chaos than Tau, I would re word to make it more like a slaes pitch for the greater good.

Finaly dont like the Firewarriors not considering a 16year old a threat, they would consider him a threat, you need some reason for him get the drop on them, perhaps a distraction, after all mostly citizens would be horified by the presence of aliens, and the priest would go beserk

Stats:
    your guys are quite powerfull now that is not a criticism directly, it depends on the campaign or opposition, but they are consistantly stat wise in the 60-80 range the average huan is more like 20-30, therefore these guys are way powerfull (got no objection to stats in that range, but all stats would seem excessive) however as I said it depends on the power of your opposition. Same applies to your inquisitors abilities, this list is repeated time and time again on Inquistor forums by new players and results in groans all round from the more experianced, not becuase they are ineffective, quite the reverse, but where is the character or the fun in playing such a solid character? Again though ou have to bear in mind what your opponent has

Dont like the taser rules, tasers are Essentially shock weapons which are covered in the rules, worse still they rely on darts to work, flack armour could potentailly give you more than sufficent protection

Think the snipers BS is too high, did you use the pathfinder Archetype to create him?

Sorry of that sounds a little hard, wasnt meant to be, overall a good effort and a very solid band but already sarting to go down the tooled to kill route at the expense of cinematics and flaws
    Thanks for the advice, it's great, but I just want to explain some of my reasoning:

On the knowing what space marines are, if you can get your hands on a copy of Graham Neil's Nightbringer and flick to page 90, you'll see a reference of Space Marines being displayed on devotional placards and the like, so it's possible.

Secondly, the world had been under the influence of a intensive Tau propaganda campingin, and then an equally powerful anti-Tau propaganda campagin.

Just found the Pathfinders, will roll the stats for Uhle and Frost (I just assigned them stats based on the sample profiles in the rulebook. I rolled for Hallron, though)

Can you reccomend so ablities for Frost?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK will leave the marine thing, Tau propaganda is heresey and punishale by death, not only those producing and propagating it, but the rulers of the plannet would be under threat.

Abilities, ok, you have at the moment:

Special Abilities: Leader, Heroic, Hipshooter, True Grit, Nerves of Steel, Lightning Reflexes

these are clasic, turn him into a killing machine options, so the first question is what about some character, he is not psychic so is presumably puritan, you lay him out as a leader and a good tactician as well as a good fighter, where are his flaws?? where is the fun in playing him? I would be tempted to give him something, perhaps physical disability, perhaps an old wound, perhaps some sort of psychosis.

On the abilities you have, you can split into 3 areas:

1, as a leader - you have Leader, this is not uncommon for inquisitors, and your fluff supports it, generally I would say why? but specifically in this case, fine

2. As a gunfghter - Hip shooter ok this is not the uber shootist, but why has he got this ability, particularly in light of...

3. as a general superhuman you have heroic, true grit, Nerves of steel and lightening reflexes, this is better than most of the legendry characters in the book, and akin to genetically engineered superhumans who train 20 hours a day every day, so this is I guess where my main issue is. I understand why you have done it, I active have to stop myself doing the same and when I am GMing I use the ready reconer to stop players from doing it. Bear in mind your character is still young, I would drop at least half of these, given his youth I would be tempted by speed rather than resiliance, so heroic and true grit I would personnal ditch, but I equally strugle with nerves of steel, indeed it can almost be considered as his flaw that he can panic.

Either way that is how I would de power him a little in his current format, although as I say, I would try and put more character on him, as a GM if a player writes a Character who has defects, and these can be defects which require him to role play rather than use any conventional rules, such as fear of hieghts, or epilepsy or leaperousy, then I am more inclined to let him have more powerful equipment and skills, it is a balancing act that really involves both yourself and the GM

As a relatively young =][= for example, you could declare him as having been so traumatised by his early experiances he has an irrational lack of any sense of danger, as such you simply do not take cover, you can not use it, he believes himself unkillable, and so doesnt see the sense in taking cover, you can make rules for this, but the best way is to roll play it, taking the time to pour scorn on other players who insist on crounching, crawling, ducking, sprinting from cover to cover etc, in that case, I would be happy with the abilities list although his armour is a little difficult to explain unless it is hereditary (it was his dads) or he considers it lucky
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

+ Reply to Thread