Ahskull Clan Arms - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ashskull Clan Arms

Hi guys! This is my first post here, and I figured I'd start with my work in progress warband for Inquisitor and see what you guys think.

The leader is a Squat Rogue Trader, modelled from an Ogre Kingdoms Maneater. His two followers are a couple very tall mutants, modelled from the WFB Albion Giants. Let me know what you think!

Name: Laruk, Second Son of Korran of the Clan Ashskull

Physical Description:
    Height: 4'8"
    Build: Short, squat, muscular
    Hair: Red, mohawk
    Eyes: Brown

Although a collector and merchant of rare, exotic, and alien weapons, Laruk wields personally constructed weapons that he trusts and knows he himself can maintain. This gives him a somewhat rugged appearance, having spent much of his life within his personal workshop aboard his Yacht, Ashskull II. Believing the quality of his products to be enough, Laruk believes little in the upkeep of his own appearance, reasoning that a well-dressed, clean, unscarred man hardly has any right to sell weapons used by those who cheat death every day. As such, he dresses in comfortable clothing he has worn for decades-- riddle with holes and tears but carefully mended to maintain functionality rather than fashion.

Many business associates frown upon his lack of hygiene or professional appearance, but Laruk's sales (and reputations) speak for themselves.

Besides his clothing, Laruk himself is covered in many scars, having lost his left eye in a particularly sour deal. He will not think twice of putting himself in harms way, willing to stand behind (as opposed to in front of) the weapons he sells.

Equipment:

This rather disgruntled squat is rarely seen without a bundle of weapons bristling from his person. Across his chest are slung two duelling pistols, on his right arm is a flamer mounted on a custom-fitted protective gauntlet, protecting from most accidents involving combustible fluid and flame, and slung across his back is a shotgun for the most dire of purposes. The gauntlet makes it rather unwieldly to hold anything else, and as such he can only hold additional weapons in his left hand. On his belt are hanging two frag grenades and a krak grenade. At his hip is a short sword for close combat.

Perched on Laruk's shoulder is an administrator servitor, a small genetically birthed creature that records appointments and makes quick calculations. It will whisper advice and recommendations into Laruk's ear, as well as remind the busy squat of his pending deals and account status. It is linked directly to Ashskull II's main database, and can cross reference anything it detects against said database. If it spots a character who has had a bounty placed on it, or any other information that has been made "public", then Laruk will know about it. The administrator servitor also acts as a Passive Motion Tracker Auspex.

Special Abilities:
    Deadeye Shot, Rock Steady Aim, Portly (Laruk is not a swift person, by any stretch of the imagination. Combined with the amount of weaponry he usually has strapped to him, he may never sprint and running is always a risky action. If failed, roll a D6. On a 5+ he loses one random piece of weaponry other than the hand flamer. On any other roll he falls prone.)

Stats
    WS: 54
    BS: 79
    S: 57
    T: 63
    I: 56
    Wp: 84
    Sg: 79
    Nv: 85
    Ld: 83

Background

Born as the second son of Korran into the Clan Ashskull, Laruk has lived amongst his clan his entire life. Laruk's entire Clan lives aboard the Yacht Ashskull II, and while Laruk spearheads the arms business, every member of the clan plays a part of its success.

Before Laruk inherited the business and therefore the wellbeing of his clan, it was run by Tobur, Third Son of Fen. Tobur was a drunk (even by Squat standards) and unreliable in his later years. He continually threw the Clan's funds around as it were his own, and often gambled away the Clan fortune. It was when Tobur lost the first family Yacht, Ashskull I, that Laruk took a stand and annexed the position of leader from Tobur. The clan stood behind him, and with what they had left of their remaining wealth they invested in a new, smaller Yacht, Ashskull II.

Everywhere Laruk goes he is accompanied by Garrok and Laro, twin mutants in service of the Ashskull clan for as long as anyone can remember. They have served as body guards for every inheritant of the Ashskull fortune, and while they are dim-witted, they atleast speak from many years of experience and make dubious but trusted advisors.

Name: Garok and Laro, Twin Mutant Bodyguards

Physical Description:

Height: 9'
    Build: tall, lanky
    Hair: very little
    Eyes: Garok: One brown and One green Laro: One eye, devoid of color.

Although the twins are terribly unattractive and appear to have an almost vacant glint in their eye, their experience as bodyguards can be seen in their almost 'automatic' marshal prowess, as if it comes to them naturally, or instinctively. To say the twins are stupid would not be inaccurate; however, their experience as inheritant bodyguards of the Ashskull clan often gives them a diamond-in-the-rough wisdom that comes out at the most unexpected of times. Their hands, feet, and heads are entirely disproportionate to their body and limbs, and to say their movement was ungraceful would be an understatement. Their clumsiness is almost legendary amongst the members of the clan, and clan mothers often tell their younglings the tale of "The Squatling Who Played Underfoot of Garok and Laro".

Equipment:

Garok and Laro detest noise, as their simple brains never get used to the shock of explosions and other sudden events. As such they prefer to keep their own weaponry simple, avoiding using weapons that make any more noise than the crunch of a skull buckling under the force of a hammer, or a neck snapping from a forceful backhand. Garok and Laro are armed with a great hammer and a spear, respectively.

Special Abilities:
    Lanky (Garok and Laro's limbs are incredibly long. Add 2 yards to their maximum movement for walking, evading, running and sprinting. Because of their clumsiness, Evading is always a risky action. Their arms are so long that they can keep attackers a fair distance away. Add +1 reach to all weapons wielded by Garrok and Laro.)

Stats
    WS: 65
    BS: 40
    S: 78
    T: 77
    I: 50
    Wp: 49
    Sg: 44
    Nv: 47
    Ld: 44

Well, that's all there is-- there is no more!

Last edited by Karik Otonna; August 22nd, 2006 at 20:32. Reason: Edited subject for spelling error.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Interesting concept.

OK as characters: the squad, am a little rustly but surely guild info would be relevent.
    What about more details on his rogue trader licence?

He appears to be carrying more guns than an infantry regiment, but you may want to check out the encumberance rules cos I suspect once he gets knocked down he wont be able to get back up, otherwise pretty sweet.

would be tempted to interplay the contention between Squat tech knowledge and guilds and the adeptus mechanicus

Bodyguards - 12 ft? really? that means the minis are approx 11 cm tall yes? well other than the obvious dificulties of bodyguard who can not actually enter the same building as the guy they are guarding, they really are not bad at all.

As a starting warband fine, the problems you are going to have are:

Ranged weapons: you really dont have a good long range weapon, unless you play on small tales, or use loads of terrain or use night fighting rules, you are going to get shot up at a range longer than you can cope with

Psychers, Willst I find your warband laudable, it is depressingly common for each and every warband to have some sort of psychic-killer in it. Even the guys that dont do this tend to have had to addapt and take pariahs to defend themselves. just be carefull about who you play.

Both points are about mechanics and if you have a good GM he will structure the game so they are not issues
    Last edited by Cheredanine; August 18th, 2006 at 14:52.
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

Fluffwise, I'm not sure how a squat clan would've got hold of a Warrant of Trade to become a Rogue Trader; they're only issued in the most specific of circumstances, and I'm pretty sure the Administratum would have treated the squats as second-class citizens in this regard. Although it is possible that he could have stolen it or something similar.

Also, the squats have their own traders in the form of the Guilds. If any squat defected from these organisations, I'm pretty sure the guildmasters would come down hard on them. While it's credible that he could be on the run from them for his actions, doing so and being the head of a clan don't really tally. Or you could just avoid all this by having him listed as a Guild tradesman rather than a Rogue Trader.

Statswise, he strikes me as a bit too soft for a Squat, the Toughness could be tinkered with a bit. If you're concerned about balance, drop the Weaponskill a bit; he doesn't strike me as a close combat character, and yet he has a skill above that of most human warriors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhh, this is the kind of feedback I've been looking for!

He appears to be carrying more guns than an infantry regiment, but you may want to check out the encumberance rules cos I suspect once he gets knocked down he wont be able to get back up, otherwise pretty sweet.
    Yes, I agree with you-- I actually had been toying with the idea of him actually losing a random piece of weaponry in his inventory should he fail his risky action for running-- the thought of a Squat trying to run, weapons falling out of their holsters all over the place in the process, makes me smile a little bit.

I also noticed you didn't grind my gears too much on giving him such a high amount of weaponry-- I suppose you then understand that this is a Squat we're talking about. Dwarves, in any universe, have a tendency to go overboard with things like protection and wealth.

Bodyguards - 12 ft? really? that means the minis are approx 11 cm tall yes? well other than the obvious dificulties of bodyguard who can not actually enter the same building as the guy they are guarding, they really are not bad at all.
    Er... actually, I threw in 12 ft because I don't actually have the models themselves yet... Laruk is done and finished and actually sitting in front of me right now, but Garok and Laro are yet to be assembled, and my manager at Games Workshop sort of refuses to support my ordering of Inquisitor bits until I get my Ogre Kingdoms army finished! (Ah the support and direction of GW personnel is really quite phenomenal.) So, long story short, I basically just threw a number in there that would make people realize I was going for tall, monstrous bodyguards rather than your regular sized individual. I suppose they would be more along the lines of, say, 8 or 9 feet tall... If anyone has these models and can hook me up with a measurement, that would be awesome.

As a starting warband fine, the problems you are going to have are:

Ranged weapons: you really dont have a good long range weapon, unless you play on small tales, or use loads of terrain or use night fighting rules, you are going to get shot up at a range longer than you can cope with

Psychers, Willst I find your warband laudable, it is depressingly common for each and every warband to have some sort of psychic-killer in it. Even the guys that dont do this tend to have had to addapt and take pariahs to defend themselves. just be carefull about who you play.

Both points are about mechanics and if you have a good GM he will structure the game so they are not issues
    Well, considering that I'm the GM and the warbands I create are pretty much characters my players run into throughout their adventures (often), it's not too much of a problem. One of the perks of being the GM is that I can make as many warbands as I like, and then use them all! I basically make everyone's warband myself, guided by written descriptions of my players' characters-- they do not assign stats or abilities, just appearance and preferred equipment, based on what the WYSIWYG rule.

Fluffwise, I'm not sure how a squat clan would've got hold of a Warrant of Trade to become a Rogue Trader; they're only issued in the most specific of circumstances, and I'm pretty sure the Administratum would have treated the squats as second-class citizens in this regard. Although it is possible that he could have stolen it or something similar.

Also, the squats have their own traders in the form of the Guilds. If any squat defected from these organisations, I'm pretty sure the guildmasters would come down hard on them. While it's credible that he could be on the run from them for his actions, doing so and being the head of a clan don't really tally. Or you could just avoid all this by having him listed as a Guild tradesman rather than a Rogue Trader.

Statswise, he strikes me as a bit too soft for a Squat, the Toughness could be tinkered with a bit. If you're concerned about balance, drop the Weaponskill a bit; he doesn't strike me as a close combat character, and yet he has a skill above that of most human warriors.
    Thank you for all those points! My knowledge on Squats is admittedly low, and this has helped shed some light on the rather dim subject. Do you know of a resource where I can read up on them more? These are some great points for me to consider to fluff my warband out more, and was exactly what I was looking for.

It seems I made the right choice joining this forum, as it's already helping me out immensely. I'll post an update soon, based on your guys' suggestions.
    Last edited by Karik Otonna; August 19th, 2006 at 19:56.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm... I just unearthed this, although keep in mind I will still be fleshing out the origin of Laruk's Rogue Trader lisence....

In the Imperium, Squats are the only abhuman type commonly seen occupying positions of authority, even entering the priesthood and ranks of the Inquisition. They are tough fighters, and are regarded by many as the most reliable warriors in the army.
    -Page 175, Rogue Trader

This would leave me to believe that attaining a Rogue Trader lisence would not be as difficult as originally thought....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

True, but that was in Rogue Trader, where the Horus Heresy didn't happen and the Chaos gods didn't exist. The newer 40K is a lot more purist. Not to mention that "nowadays" obtaining Warrants of Trade would be difficult, particularly the full-blown ones; individuals need to be screened to make sure they won't be tainted by xenos influence, are faithful to the Imperium et cetera et cetera. Obviously, several Rogue Traders slip through the system in this regard, and it's these that're the most interesting. But just be aware of that.

And most of my concern in him being a Rogue Trader and not a Guildmaster (Warrants of Trade can be stolen, after all, if not officially granted) was that the Guilds might be a bit upset at this development. Going to the dwarf archetype, they're very distrustful of outsiders, and are likely to regard anyone going over to "their ways" as a traitor.

As for where I got my information, the 2nd edition Codex Imperialis. Most of the information in it can be found in one of the many 40K "fluff bibles" floating around on the Net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

A rogue trader squat with mutant BG's. Interesting.
    Where did he find them and why on any planet did he hire them?
    Also, you specified that your muti twins have never even had cause to pick up a gun; why do they have a BS of 40? Right now my little brothers BS is probably 40, and he's been around guns his whole life.
    I make a point of never laughing at stupid people. They can't help that they're stupid, just as I can't help hitting them.- Aun'Vre

+ Reply to Thread