Do you encourage in-fighting? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you encourage in-fighting?

What I mean is, in the rules and supplementals there seems to be a lot of emphasis on two or more players slugging it out against each other within a narrative context. It is a "narrative wargame" which connotates two+ players squaring off rather than co-operating against NPC's.

I don't encourage it in my game, but it's happened. One player decided to turn to the Dark Powers for inspiration which led to a mutiny aboard a Black Ship. His uncle put the vile heretic down with a plasma grenade, and everyone had a jolly good time.

Like I said, I don't encourage or discourage it. It's certainly easier for my players when they co-operate, but it's quite entertaining when they don't.

Do you pit your players against each other? Or do you have a troupe like mine where it just happens when it happens?

Is it more difficult to keep the narrative going when your players are constantly killing each other off?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

It depends on the story and where things are going really; I've known some people who's own character backstab their allies or switch sides because its something their character might actually see as a good idea.

Its always an interesting idea and something for some people to be wary of now and then but it is no fun when everyone has to always be watching their backs out of fear of their own allies betraying them. (So it depends, if everyone is just going to be infighting then it is much more difficult; but infighting is not uncommon and can happen, just not every other minute in the same group.)

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Inquistor-Missionary Precinct Omega's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I quick review of the campaigns I've designed will show that I'm pretty even-handed in this respect. I've written campaigns that outright pit one character against another, and campaigns that see characters forced to work together for a common goal. At the same time, I've written campaigns where character may cooperate or may conflict and the choice is left entirely up to them.

That, of course, is the joy of Inqusitor that no other game can quite hold a candle to.

R.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

I encourage it wholeheartedly in that I do nothing to correct the players when they put a foot (or even a whole body) wrong. Constantly having one player vs NPCs gets pretty boring and labour-intensive on the part of both the players and the GM. I might be a harsh one, but if the players need to co-operate they need to figure it out for themselves, not be guided into it. If we lose a few characters along the way, so be it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I think there's probably room for both schools.. I'm not too sure about teaming up and facing off against NPCs myself, as it seems dangerously close to becoming a roleplaying game. While some people might like that, I think actual roleplaying games, with their more rounded character systems, would probably better facilitate that kind of story. Inquisitor is definately still a wargame.. The focus is on combat and conflict. Unless you're running some kind of dungeon crawl, I don't think it works as a roleplaying system.

It's probably better if the players aren't completely in opposition (for example, the classic one of rival Inquisitors of differing moral positions who may hate each other but also have their own primary goals which take precedence over their feud.) This leaves room for dialogue, spur of the moment alliances and other non combat actions which add to the game. But at the end of the day, the vast majority of the rules deal with fighting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, this game rocks. So many possibilities it's mind-boggling.

Right now my troupe is orbiting Carduriis VII, which was recently hit by a comet changing its orbit and making its atmosphere more hospitable to human colonization. Due to the change in atmosphere, ruins have been found on the surface thus greatly increasing the possibility of archeotech being found on the planet.

The Inq. they're tracking recently visited here and made a down-on-his-luck Rogue Trader the Imperial Governor of the lifeless rock, in return for being able to examine any archeotech before it's sold. The Rogue Trader plans to salvage archeotech (hopefully) and use the profits to start a mining colony.

Unfortunately for him, ugly quadruped Xenos on the planet keep slaughtering his landing parties.

So I have one Inq player that wants to cut a deal with him for ridding the planet of Xenos using the Inq Stormtroopers they have available. (Incidentally, this is the "right" choice, but if they decide something else...heh heh...I'll go with the flow)

I have my other Inq player wants to board the Rogue Trader's ship and "interrogate" him...

I have a Cardinal player that wants to bomb the Xenos from orbit and have the planet declared Quarantined, hoping the Rogue Trader will "protest"...

I have a Techpriest character who's sole focus is getting his hands on whatever archeotech is down there...no matter who gets hurt in the process...

And I have another Techpriest player who is secretly trying to develop the ultimate mind-control drug. (I suspect to use on the other players...) He doesn't know it yet, but the Xenos on the planet are Zoats. If you read the description of Zoats in RT, you'll see that experimenting with their slave/master pheromone glands is probably just what's missing in his secret formula. What he really needs is a LIVE Zoat...

How to convince the other players to bring a live Zoat on board? I can't WAIT to see what he comes up with (he's an excellent player...should be very entertaining).

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I played one game of Inquisitor, and stopped by here to look for more info because I was VERY confused.
    I played a marine though. As for PvP fragging, yeppo done that already.
    Tossed a grenade into a unit of guradsmen (stormtroopers) because they WEREN'T going to stop that Ork boss. Mortally wounded the boss and killed all the guard, but the dude in command of them took offense and tried to kill me. I love power armor. And hitting dudes with a half-clip of bolter fire is just beautiful!

I play DD alot, and when I DM, they can kill eachother all they want. I don't encourage or discourage it, I just kinda roll along.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

You might want to try playing with a different set of players... Inquisitor isn't about PvP per se, it's about creating a story. Having orks in Inq would be monstrous enough, let alone having many people with SMs and squads of guard running around. Make characters, not statlines.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

That's kinda the feeling I was getting, because it wasn't too heroic, and it bogged down. I don't know if they had a story or not, because I just asked to join in and try it out, and the group let me in.
    Downloaded the book today, read it, and wanna start a campaign. It looks much cooler than D&D!
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread