What's stopping me? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

What's stopping me?

I read the rules to Inq. and have discovered a marketing ploy. What's stopping me from playing Inq. at regular 40K scale? My friends have tons of kill-teams that are absolutely gorgeous conversions, and the Inq. range -although beautiful- is fairly limited in variety.
    I figure, at a scale of 2in' to every 1 yard, things should be alright. We'd be able to use a smaller table, and the terrain we already own, instead of scaling everything up.
    would there be any inherent problems with this?

Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Problem 1: Too many powerful weapons. A single bolter can turn the tide of a game of Inquisitor.. Using preexisting models removes a lot of the more low powered and interesting weapon options.

Problem 2: Characters. The whole point of Inquisitor isn't to play out battles between guard squad X and ork mob Y, it's to play with characters and stories. Now, I'm sure some of your kill team members can be given appropriate backstories, but they will likely not be able to approximate the huge variety of wonderful and freakish concepts Inquisitor games can produce (unless you've been very imaginative with your kill teams.)

Problem 3: A lot of people will tell you that half the fun of Inquisitor is coverting your characters. Conversions in Inquisitor scale are a lot easier.

I've only ever played 40k scale Inquisitor myself, and I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with it. But doing so somewhat dulls the point of the game, in some ways.

The main advantage is not that you can use models you currently own in your warbands. If you want to keep it interesting you will likely have to mail order stuff anyway. It's that the GM will likely already have a preexisting stable of basic NPCs and enemies, such as guardsmen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Mantis, from my understanding of CaptainSarathai's post he is wondering if there is any problem with using the 40k scale models to play normal games of inquisitor. (His/her friends have warbands with nice models and he/she wants to use them rather than getting the inquisitor range models.)

CaptainSarathai, Nothing is stopping you from using the 40k models for inquisitor. Infact its already done by many people who play inquisitor but find themselves not wanting to go along witht he increased scale of models. What your reffering to is known as inquisitor 28, which is inquisitor played with the smaller models not from the inquisitor range. (Normal inquisitor, in this regard, is known as inquisitor 56 for being at least double the scale of normal 40k.)

Remember though, every inch in inquisitor is a yard; so as you half the scale the distance would be halved as well rather than be doubled. (I would say two yards per inch because of the scaling down.)

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

192 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
    Remember though, every inch in inquisitor is a yard; so as you half the scale the distance would be halved as well rather than be doubled. (I would say two yards per inch because of the scaling down.)
    Unless you want to put all your minis on 40mm bases. {goofy}

Marketing ploy? Is GW trying to trick us?

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

210 (x5)

I don't play Inquisitor, but I know folks have developed ways of playing it with 28MM models (rather than the 54mm) scale models)

Really, I don't see any reason to not just go with scaling everything down to 1/2 and be done with it. Playtest it a little and you'll probably be fine.

Likewise, you could technically play Necromunda with life-sized cardboard cutouts of your characters and use an abandoned factory as a battleground. Ok, so that isn't quite as practical :p
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

is a Brother of Arterius Bleyden's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Another reason people use 28mm is scenery. Its a lot easier to use scenery that you use in 40k and WFB than to build lots of scenery that you can only use in games of inquisitor.
    Best Oxymorons:
    3. Marital Bliss 2. Military Intelligence 1. MICROSOFT WORKS
    Vassal Record 1-2.
    bleyden.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
    Mantis, from my understanding of CaptainSarathai's post he is wondering if there is any problem with using the 40k scale models to play normal games of inquisitor. (His/her friends have warbands with nice models and he/she wants to use them rather than getting the inquisitor range models.)
    If you'll read my post you'll notice that I said that I use 40k scale models to play Inquisitor myself. There are a lot of necromunda models and simple conversions which can make for great Inquisitor characters..

The problem is that, if you just use prexisting 40k models you end up with warbands full of bolters, power armour and/or special weapons, which, in my opinion, makes the game a lot less fun. There are a lot of low powered options in the game, and they're there for a reason. The game is more fun when you get worried because your opponent has a bolter, rather than spending 30 turns with two space marines trying to kill each other through their impossibly hard armour..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessFable View Post
    Likewise, you could technically play Necromunda with life-sized cardboard cutouts of your characters and use an abandoned factory as a battleground. Ok, so that isn't quite as practical :p
    Or alternatively, get your hands on a couple of paint-guns and do it in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Bleyden
    Another reason people use 28mm is scenery. Its a lot easier to use scenery that you use in 40k and WFB than to build lots of scenery that you can only use in games of inquisitor.
    Personally, my friends and I have found that the cities of death scenery works fairly well with Inquisitor. Ok, so the ceilings are a little low, but at least the models fit . . . except for space marine ones

Also, I personally havn't tried Inquisitor 28 but I do think it's certainly a good way for current 40k players to have a go at Inquisitor and maybe to continue with it at 28 mm scale rather than buy models and find you don't like it. I'm quite glad a couple of my friends introduced me, as they had spare 58mm models, and they are one of the reasons I like playing it. The models are massive compared to 40k scale, more detailed, highly customisable. And if you get to your local GW store rather than looking on the internet, then you'll find that they have a larger range in the mail order catalogue.

+ Reply to Thread