Bretonnian warband - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    pen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bretonnian warband

Hello everyone! I'm entering a newbie campaign (only played one game to learn the rules so far), and have decided to go with bretonnians, because they're pretty darn sweet, I like the concept overall. We'll be playing without any house rules as far as I know, and I know they will be playing chaos cultists, dwarves, undead, empire and lizardmen.

My list is as follows:

Questing knight
    mace
    Mace
    helmet
    total:96

Errant knight
    mace
    sword
    helmet
    total:68gc

Errant knight
    mace
    sword
    helmet
    total:68gc

Squire
    sword
    hammer
    helmet
    Total:33gc

Squire
    sword
    hammer
    helmet

Squire
    sword
    hammer
    helmet

Men-at-arms*6
    mace
    Total:168gc

Total:499gc spent. 6 heroes, 6 henchmen

I figure if I'm careful I'll eventually have quite a bit of gold, what with 6 starting heroes and all, and will focus on:
    • Getting hammers(or should I get spears?), helmets and then shields for my men-at-arms,
    • I'll get another axe for my other errant knight (the one without a shield)
    • armor, and then horses( or should I get loads of spears, morning stars and the like?), for my heroes

Are there any especially bad/good weapons&armor? Should I get axes instead of shields on my squires, or should I try and get spears for them?

The army is, obviously CC-based. Can't say I'm too impressed with shooting (though I've heard of the skaven slings of death), but I've only played one game so far...

EDITED LIST!

Last edited by pen; November 23rd, 2008 at 23:20.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x4)

Okay, haven't really had too much to do with the Bret rules - only a passing glance, but there are a few things.
    First, what equipment, if any, do your men at arms have? At the least get them a hammer/club.
    Spears really aren't worth it anymore unless on high Initiative models. Thanks to the rules review anything that is Strike First, doesn't actually strike first. It reverts to Initiative order with other things that grant Strike First, like charging. So I would probably stay away from them all together.
    Also, don't discount shooting altogether. Even a couple of bows can be handy, as it can force your opponent to change the way they approach and give you more tim to pick combats, as well as give some covering fire for your own warriors to advance.
    As for weapons, hammer and axe or hammer and sword are always good solid choices, as are sword and axe.
    Also, don't forget that everyone gets a free dagger, so with another weapon that is +1 attack.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

pen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch Thomo View Post
    Okay, haven't really had too much to do with the Bret rules - only a passing glance, but there are a few things.
    First, what equipment, if any, do your men at arms have? At the least get them a hammer/club.
    The only way I can do that in the first battle is to skip the shield on my heroes. Worth it?
    Spears really aren't worth it anymore unless on high Initiative models. Thanks to the rules review anything that is Strike First, doesn't actually strike first. It reverts to Initiative order with other things that grant Strike First, like charging. So I would probably stay away from them all together.
    Will do.
    Also, don't discount shooting altogether. Even a couple of bows can be handy, as it can force your opponent to change the way they approach and give you more tim to pick combats, as well as give some covering fire for your own warriors to advance.
    Bowmen are more expensive than men-at-arms after buying weapons, which is why I don't include them. If a/some men-at-arms die I'll get one or two (upper warband limit is 12).
    As for weapons, hammer and axe or hammer and sword are always good solid choices, as are sword and axe.
    Also, don't forget that everyone gets a free dagger, so with another weapon that is +1 attack.
    I'll take note of that. 2 weapons > shield if I understand corectly?

EDITED LIST!
    And can I later on pass around equipment within the warband? Give one of the Questing knight's mace to a squire and give the squire's sword to the questing knight?
    Last edited by pen; November 23rd, 2008 at 23:23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x4)

Generally speaking 2 weapons is the way to go. Because of all the armour modifiers in Mordheim (axes, for example give an extra -1 to the armour save) it is far to easy to ignore the save offered by the shield. Unless you play with the 'Hand Weapon + Shield' House Rule (pretty much the one from WF then armour is expensive and useless.
    So yes, I would consider skipping the shields in favour of more weapons.
    But I would consider dropping a couple of M@A to get a bowman or 2. That and if you really want to get your warband advancing quickly, split the henchmen groups up into single models - more chance of Lads Got Talent and advancements for the henchmen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x4)

That edited list looks a lot better, although I would be tempted to drop the swords from the squires and give them axes, frees up some gold and the -1 armour goes a long way in dealing with opponents with armour.

Also, yes, equipment can be swapped around within the roster. Although I believe, off the top of my head, that the original owner of the equipment must fight one battle with it (i.e. you buy a model a two-handed sword then he must fight a battle with it before swapping it over).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget that your men at arms will all get a dagger for free.