teams? Teams?? TEAMS??? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

teams? Teams?? TEAMS???

Hey hey blood fans.

As we speak im putting the finishing touches to my necro team, The Barak'tor Blazers, and this Wednesday im off to pick up the materials needed to make a BB pitch (soooo wanted to do this for a looong time). All well and good but there is one problem.....

Blood Bowl is only sort of represented in my local GW, 10 or so players but unless its pre arranged the week(s) before would they even remember to bring it with, if they even turn up! (we have an odd GW, 4 people one week 30 the next). But i think i have a solution.

I was going to do it anyway in time but my hand is forced, i must buy more teams!!!!! Never saw that one coming eh? Like i said i was going to get 4 or so teams anyway but now im putting in the time and effort to making my own pitch im going to get 2 extra teams in the next couple of weeks. The question is which???

I love the new human team but im going to save them till last to take time on them so baring human and necro what two teams do you suggest i get? There is just too many to chose from! Only criteria really is that they should go well within the group of 4 so maybe one bashy team, one running/passing team, one general team, one odd ball team.

Was thinking of high elves and norse to go with the necros and (eventually) humans. Was thinking about orcs but ive been told they are the most broken team ever and will be hated for playing them..... harsh but maybe as a 5th team eh?

Oh and the only other thing would be that they NEED to have a coach/owner model on the side lines (probably the only conversion i'll do as i dont mind BB models) so any suggestions for what they could be, please leave a note.

So to sum up:
    1) suggest two teams barring necro and human
    2) a reason for the choice
    3) conversion/model ideas for coaches

Thanks for any help in advance and sorry for the long post.
    Peace out.

PL

Last edited by Pheonix Lord; April 20th, 2009 at 23:27.
    I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warning post got a little long.

Hmm, interesting question. Really into blood bowl lately. As I'm in a league with 9 friends at the moment. Which first of all makes me say Orcs are not that broken. Given that they are on position 6 and 10 (of 10 ) after 5 rounds. But yes, they have the potential to be very good as they have the bashing capacity and play a decent throwing / running game. However the lack of movement really hurts them.

Anyway on to suggesting teams. In LRB5.0 there are 21 teams. 5 of these, whilst possibly fun to play, will never really be competitive. So I would advice against it (As I understand you will be lending them to others).

NOT:
    Goblin, Halfling, Khemri, Ogre, Vampire

I would like to add to this list the following teams:
    - Amazons (for being really boring)
    - High Elves (for being outclassed in anything they want to do by one of the three other elf teams)
    - Lizardmen (for bringing a lot of discussion. My friends and I don't know if it is overpowered or not - there are arguments for both - but we all agree they will be very hard to play. Due to the really awkward ability distribution of your players. Smashing guys which cannot handle a ball, and ball handlers which die when you look at them. In addition to this the lack of any internal re-roll skills).

This leaves:
    Choas, Chaos Dwarfs, Dark Elf, Dwarf, Elf, Human, Necromantic, Norse, Nurgle, Orc, Skaven, Undead, Wood Elf.

My initial hunch would be Orcs and Humans as you can then buy the starter box, and get yourself a 2nd field as well. But the orc models are not that great (at all). So Iím slightly at a loss what to advice next. Though I can say that your suggested line-up (Norse, High Elf, Necromantic, Humans) is 4 intermediate teams, imho. I would aim for more diversity, thus advising against this line-up.

Probably not:
    Chaos Dwarfs. As lizardmen they have strange player combinations. Ball handlers which get smashed to bits and though guys which cannot pick up a ball. In addition the lack of any inherent re-roll skill hurts. So whilst an experience BB player might like the challenge, itís not a team for rookies.
    Nurgle: In all respects the players are worse than normal chaos. Though the linemen are cheaper. Rather hard to play, but experience player might like them.
    Undead: Due to the presence of Necromantic.

Probably Best Choice:
    Thatís about all I can say, so now it just personal intuition.
    And then my line-up would probably be: Human, Necromantic, Dwarf, and either Elf/Wood Elf/Skaven.
    This because you add 2 teams of extremes to 2 intermediate teams. Giving you some nice diversity.

In addition Dwarfs have cool models: Deathroller, can get a dwarf with a large beer keg as an apothecary. And a lot of special character models to chose from as a coach. Or just get a dwarf with a tankard of ale and a pipe.

For the Elf/Wood Elf/Skaven choice: Elf and Skaven have the cooler BB models I think and are slightly cheaper, making them easier to play. The wood elves have a treemen and awesome wardancers. For my own wood elves I use Aenur, sword of twilight as head coach and the truthsayer as apothecary. But I donít have any really good suggestions. Maybe the HE RBT crew with his pointing finger (giving directions).

Come to think of it, maybe Skaven are the coolest choice: Great models, not too expensive (in BB gold), real running/passing team, possibility for mutations for increased fun, and some cool special characters to chose from as head coach / apothecary (Grey Seer Tanquol with free rat ogre, Deathmaster Snikch, Plague Lord Skrolk, Ikit Claw, Warlord Queek, or just the Greater Deamon of the Horned Rat.)

Summary:
    Donít take:
    Goblin, Halfling, Khemri, Ogre, Vampire, Amazons, High Elves, Lizardmen

Best choice:
    My advice would be Skaven and Dwarfs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x4)

Thank you for the reply (was starting to worry i wouldnt get one ). It was very in depth and informative, exactly what i needed! Rep for thee!

Though i gotta say the best idea was the second stater set. The one i bought off a mate was only missing 1 human and 1 orc blitzer so with a second boxset added it gives me some very good possibility for team building and i could buy griff and the ork special chars for captains and use em as the 4th (missing) blitzers! Gotta say i dont mind the cruddy models as they remind my of playing Hero Quest many, many moons ago so plus plus. All the extra dice and balls are icing on the

So thats Necro, Ork and Human. As for the 4th well now youve put me in a picle! Im going to have to go and get 5 teams now! Dwarf and Scaven I think will round that of nicely......... Maybe Wood Elves too........ Damn it!

Oh well. Oh and for an update on the BB pitch im building, its all built and is ready to be textured and flocked this week. Then its just setting out the pitch. I will make dug outs but going to use the cardboard ones for now. Ive taken pics so i will (eventually) put a guide up on what i did.

Other suggestions are welcome but I think its sorted now

PL
    Last edited by Pheonix Lord; April 28th, 2009 at 21:17.

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad I could help. It is indeed a shame Blood Bowl is not one of the more actively played games. Also I would like to apologise for inducing such a shopping itch.

The 2nd box thing then indeed might be good. I personnally prefer the humans from the box to the new ones. And the Orcs are fine, were it not for the blitzers, which I am never able to distinguish from the line-orcs. And don't forget the Troll and Ogre when you are buying things to complete these teams.

Definately keep us posted on the pitch. Sounds like it is going to be aa great thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x1)

Hey guys. Nice to see some BB action on LO.

I'm very much into BB theese days and have expanded my collection significantly during the last year or so.

I don't know if you are aware that soon three more teams will be added. They are already approved by the BBRC (Blood Bowl Rules Committe) and NAF. Theese are Slann, Chaos Pact and Underworld Creepers. All are a blast to play.

When it comes to teams you have to include two (maybe three) factors.

1. What models do you like?
    2. What do you think is fun on the pitch?
    3. Is winning important?

So lets talk about it...

1. This is a matter of taste. Just take a look and get a feel for the models. There are many non GW sculpt out there so if you sometimes play aoutside of the GW store this might be an option.
    Rolljordan is just now releasing a wonderfull Slann team. LINK And yes, it has a coach.

Impact has a lot of great BB teams. Look at the Siringit for instance...

2. What do do you want to do on the pitch?
    Bash? Go Orcs, Dwarves, Chaos, Nurgle
    Flair? Go Elves, Skaven or Slann
    Chaos and mayhem? Go Goblins, Ogres, Underworld.
    Balanced? Necros, Human, Lizards.

I like Chaos Dwarves (gotta love Bull Centaurs) Nurgle (Foul Apperance and Disturbing Presense is fun) Gobbos (Secret Weapons galore!) Slann (Leap on every player, say no more)

Dwarves are no fun but if you like a dependable, forgiving team that is a way to go.

In a nutshell I like teams that are less than straight forward and have some tweaks.

3. The beautiful thing with BB is that it is not balanced and it's not supposed to be. If you don't mind loosing more often than you win then you have more choices.
    Vamps have the best players (allthough very unreliable) around and will be more dependable when next LRB comes out.
    Ogres can dish out a lot of pain and have little guys that go squish.
    Halflings just suck, but that can be fun too.
    Khemri are nerfed but when the mummys get Mighty Blow and the occasional Block they get really bashy.

Coaches are easy and fun. I've built two teams (Nurgle and Norse, you can see them in htis forum) from WHFB plastics and when doing so you get extra parts that you can use for coaches, apothecaries and such.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Ikterus; April 29th, 2009 at 12:32.
    Ikterus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x4)

Thanks for the imput

The pitch is chuging along. Need to go and pick up more flock and static grass on wednesday (surprising how much you need for a 2" x 2 3/4" board O_o!).

Im bidding on a box set online so hopefully alot cheaper than a new one, 6 days to go!

And hold the press! Is this a new LRB?? That would be 6 wouldnt it? Those teams sound cool.

Oh and one last thing. As at the moment we have all the Imperial Guard lovers out and about and seeing someone mention it somewhere, how about Team Cadia?! Line men, throwers and catchers would be easy and ive an old ogrin for an oger lol. Creed as the coach and a commasar as 'moral officer'? Im sold!

PL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

83 (x1)

There is going to be a LRB6 which is also going to be the last for a considerable time (all according to Jervis Johnson).

Currently LRB5+ (LRB6) is being tested but the official LRB6 is due fall/winter -09

You can take a look at the documents below.

LRB5+

New teams

I recommend talkbloodbowl.com for your daily dose of BB discussion. And if you'd like to try the new rules out and have the patience to play by E-mail, then check up the MBBL, which is the official test league for the BBRC. You play by E-mail, using a client to take care of the graphics and rules.

And you do know that there is a XBOX/PS3/PC game on its way right?
    Ikterus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x4)

Oh yes yes yes, ive seen the game. Shall be getting it for the xbox (if its any good).

Thanks again for those links. LRB 5+ looks good, as ever they just stream line the rules more, shows what a balanced game it is! The new teams look like fun, underworld for me! Funny that JJ says yay and GW say nay. Treat them as sort of chapter approved then? lol

Next post shall be in a few days when this board is up and running. Oh and while im here i might as well ask (you dont ask you dont get) anyone have tips to mesure out the grid on the BB pitch. String and pins seems to be popular but i was going to cut it out of card and just stencil it. Any thoughts?

PL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

83 (x1)

GW says nay because they'll only approve armies that they they will provide figs for. And right now they don't have any new teams in the pipe...

Measuring a BB field insn't the easiest thing... The size of the squares is less than logical, 29mm to be exact.

Remember that you don't have to build it excactly the same size as the boxed pitch. 30mm or 40mm works fine and 40mm is often liked by players who like their Big Guys on 40mm bases.

There is a chart for measuring pass distances that measures in squares, or you could scale up the ruler...

---------- Post added at 10:48 ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 ----------

I very interested in seeing your pitch.

Remember that you can build it in a more convinient scale if you want to. There is a chart for measuring pass distances. Or you could scale up the pass ruler.

Many people who use Big Guys a lot use 40mm square boards.

GW will only approve teams they have models for...
    Ikterus

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

I'm late to the party obviously. But where is that chart you mentioned? I'm interested in making a pitch myself, and using a different scale would be nice, especially one that gives a little more room to the figs.

On the off chance the OP still cares.

I'd suggest Goblins and Dwarves as the other two.

Goblins because part of the appeal of Blood Bowl is that it isn't such "serious business" as 40K or Fantasy. And that appeals to a lot of players. I think Goblins are the best army for people who enjoy that aspect with crazy goblins sneaking chainsaws on the pitch, getting thrown (or eaten) around the board, and bribing the ref.

Dwarves because some people really don't like getting wiped out, and even an amature with Dwarves has a pretty solid chance of reaching the end of the game with a mostly intact team.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast