Witch Hunters? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Witch Hunters?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Witch Hunters?

Newbie here!
    First, are the Witch Hunters worth playing?
    And secondly, what models (besides the obvious) would be good for Witch Hunters?
    DWEY

"Our philosophy is beat it until it stops moving."
    "And then shoot it."
    "And then step on its nads!"-The Gamers 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm playing my first campaign with them right now and I steamrolled over the first three games that I played with them. I lost the first game because it was the streetfight scenario and I had no shooting so I was just getting shot to hell while running across the table but once I got there I made short work of the opposing force and just happened to get an unlucky route role after losing two wardogs and a flagellant. The next two I absolutely demolished my opponents and got very lucky on scenarios and dice rolls so my warband is already at full strength with 6 heroes (WHC, WP, x3 WH's and a promoted flagellant who absolutely rocks) plus 5 flagellants and one puppy.

The standard build (from what I've read over and over, haven't tried it myself so I can't vouch for it's viability) is to max out your heroes immediately with the WH's taking crossbows so that they can easily rack up experience without being forced to engage in hth where they're extremely vulnerable early on. Then take as many puppies as you can and spend the remaining points on hammers for the WP, maybe a sword for your WHC and a couple flaggies. Most people caution against taking zealots as their only viable use is as additional ranged shots but with BS2 they're not going to be hitting squat anyway. Plus you have puppies for 5 crowns cheaper who are WS4, Str4 and M6 so they'll be of great use ealy on. Puppies are totally worth their crowns early on because of their fast movement, strength and WS being higher than that of the average model that you'll come across, but they should slowly be traded for or replaced as they die with flagellants because of the flagellants ability to gain experience and potentially become your 6th hero as well as Str6 kicking some serious tail in a game like mordheim.

In general, I've found that the army is a very good elite hybrid type force where they're probably the second best crown for crown of the official armies at shooting (after human mercs of course) and have some of the toughest henchmen early on in the flagellants. They suffer from a lack of magic, which can be kind of frustrating when the other armies have such cool magicky stuff to play with, but I really don't mind that too much as I've never been a huge fan of magic at all in WHFB and still am not in this game. The prayers of sigmar have plenty of nasty stuff to help out against the undead and followers of Chaos as well as keep your boys in the fight so don't be too overly concerned about their weakness in magic. The biggest handicap is the reduced unit cap at 12 models maximum, but this can be side stepped with the purchase of a halfling cook, a halfling cookbook and purchasing/finding the equipment version of the wardogs which don't count against the 12 model maximum.

Hope this little advice from one beginner to another is helpful

-JL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cursed thread necromancy...

+ Reply to Thread