Help needed: Competitive Mercenary Warband needed! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Help needed: Competitive Mercenary Warband needed!

My local gaming club have been playing a lot of mordheim recently, but my Reiklanders have been taking a lot of punishment in the process...

There's a campaign 'proper' beginning soon, and I'm wanting to field as competitive a warband as possible (up against power-gamers and unnofficial, very broken/cheesy, lists).

List so far:

Capt
    Duelling Pistols
    Mace
    Dagger
    Crossbow

Champ
    Duelling Pistols
    Mace
    Dagger

Champ
    Duelling Pistols
    Mace
    Dagger

Youngblood
    Mace
    Dagger

Youngblood
    Mace
    Dagger

2 Marksmen (2 groups of 1)
    Crossbows
    Maces
    Daggers

EDIT: Warlock

Maxed out on heroes, but only 8 in Warband, gives rating of 87... hoping to pick up underdog bonus 1st game against one of the many skaven warbands totalling 20 ratmen, giving instant upgrades to the youngbloods and henchmen for surviving...

There's a lot of T4 warbands out there between dwarfs, chaos dwarfs & beastmen, so believe it's worth purchasing crossbows over long bows... Duelling pistols are expensive, but I think worth it (thoughts?)...

Campaign plan: early game want to be against 20 strong skaven warband with minimal losses for my warband and pick up early experience... picking up more gold, will look to expand to max. no of marksmen before trying to get a warhound or 2.

Still debating whether I'd be better with more men instead of the equipment... but I would be stuck with many S3 attacks with bows/long bows/no pistols...

Thoughts and opinions are needed...

Last edited by thetopcat84; September 3rd, 2010 at 07:27. Reason: Forgot the Warlock!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunno if you were still after thoughts and opinions but...

The underdog bonus is a great way to turn your disadvantage into an advantage, especially against skaven.

One tactic I used to use early on in a campaign, especially against skaven, was to basically ignore/avoid the enemy heroes, and go for the henchmen. Sit there and pick them off with ranged. All you want to do is gain extra XP, and targeting heroes ain't gonna give you that, but their henchmen are basically XP on legs.

pistols vs longbows... hmmm. Duelling pistols are great as they give you that extra edge in the first round of combat, and could effectively end things straight away, especially with str4. Their range however, is only 10". This basically means that if you are close enough to hit skaven, then they are close enough to hit you. Bows on the other hand have a great range, and if all you are aiming at are henchmen early on, then str3 might be all you need.

Skaven henchmen are expendable, but so are yours. This is a good thing in a small warband early on. The way I used to play early on, was to pick off enemy henchmen like I said, and then when I no longer had anywhere to run, I would throw my henchmen into combat with the closest and strongest enemy around to get them killed, and force my warband to rout. Points all around to heroes for surviving, plus underdog bonus, plus all the kills you made on the enemy henchmen.

That said you need the right percentages to force a rout... I think it is a quarter? So in your warband that would be your 2 marksmen. And you have to not care about your henchmen. I gave mine nothing but daggers

But then I played an orcs and goblins warband, so I had a natural disposition to sacrificing my own troops

Forgive me if some of what I have said is a bit off... It has been a long time since playing, and I can't quite remember all the rules..... But I remember this (or something like it) worked for me every time and really ticked off my rat-loving friend

+ Reply to Thread