How to paint saim hann red - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ex-tookool126 DieHardSaintKildaSupporter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to paint saim hann red

I'd like real advice (screw you gareth).....
    rep up for grabs, thanks guys

Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

You might want to be careful with comments like "screw you (insert name of any respected LO member)"

Offering rep is also frowned upon (but you dont have any rep power to offer anyway).

That aside,

The best way to do reds in general is to do several thin layers.
    I would refer you to Gareths tutorial thread, but judging by your comment, you have already seen it. Did you not find it helpful? or do you simply refuse to use it due to being at some kind of odds with Gareth?

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

819 (x8)

While I know that the "screw you Gareth" comment was purely a joke, and was in reference to his "how to paint red" guide a while back, as Manu said, you might want to just be careful posting things like that in the future. People may take offense, and we wouldn't want that from a simple joke.

Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!! aeroplane's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    569 (x7)

Out of curiosity, why do you think you can give rep when your rep power is 0?

The easiest way to paint the red would be;

Spray red
    touch up red
    1 or 2 coats of slightly watered black or brown ink (try to stay in the cracks and shadows)
    drybrush red to make the red bright again

If you production line 10-20 guys at a time, this will go very quickly. However, make sure the ink coat is dry before building up the red drybrush coat.

My insanely large Chaos Marine Army - look

Thier commander's motto-listen

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

OK- here's some tips that don't involve IrnBRU. It's a method I used on Blood Angels and gives a really, really vibrant red. This is pre-foundation and I haven't done much red since so there might be other ideas out there using them.

Firstly- put as much of the model together as possible, leaving off maybe guns or helmets that are to be different colours.

Spray white. I don't ever recommend a black undercoat for reds, especially if you want a bright red (saim hann are bright red, right?)

Mix some red ink and blood red paint (maybe try a test drive with red ink and mechrite red) until it's like milk. Use a big brush (like a tank brush) and slap this all over the figure. You should have the paint thin enough that it flows easily but doesn't clog detail. It's best to go too thin first when you're learning.

Once you're happy with the consistency of your mix slap it onto a whole squad. When they're dry give them another coat. The first one will leave them pinkish, the second will be mostly red.

The final coat can be either the same again, or slightly darker (mix in some scab red or similar to darken the colour down). This will work as a shading wash, especially if you add a tiny bit of dish-washing fluid to the ink. This final coat should give you a really strong red. You can add fine highlights after this is dry if you like.

Hope this helped. Don't worry about repping- the funny grey neutral rep icon is kinda annoying.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Oh jeese. Look.. (I'm not getting on your case since everyone else did) Gareth probably deserves at least a few true reprisals for that misleading joke, but that does not diminish that he is a great painter and there was good advice in there)

I wasn't a fan of the practical joke either. But even I recently linked to gareth's red guide and found it helpful. Just replace "irnbru" with water. The technique and foundation of what he is saying is still true.

Aside from that, I found the foundation paints to work wonders when working red from black in relatively few steps.

Otherwise, you will need an intermediate, like bubonic brown to give an even undercoat to the red from black.

The way I did my blood angels back in the day: primer white, spray blood red. Ink red. Then detail.

Hope this helps.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what happend, it was 4 before................. most have been neg repped somehow.....
    Thanks guys, nah i didnt mind that joke, it was cool. Good for someone to lighten up the forums. and lost can you delete my other thread please? Thanks
    I dont have red spray and u cant buy it at my local gw (only grey and another for terrain or something). Anyway Paint Monkey I'll try your way out it sounds great. Also how do u think a layer of mechrite over black first before i use your formual will work? thanks again
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

Aboard the Flying Dutchman off the Cape of Storms
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The technique I use for painting red is as follows:

BC: Scab Red
    HL1: Red Gore
    Wash: Red Ink + Black Ink (depending on the effect you need you could substitute Purple or Brown Ink for the Black)
    Repeat HL1
    HL2: Red Gore + Blood Red
    HL3: Blood Red
    HL4: Blood Red + Blazing Orange (3:1)
    Glaze: Red Ink
    You can see an example here: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=101118 (WIP :: WH SoB)

HTH

Tarok :C

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tarok ur techinque is interesting, how would the highlights work on a jetbike though, since in the end it would be red gore with a wash and some highlights
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

Aboard the Flying Dutchman off the Cape of Storms
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough this is more suited to figures, but be that as it may your process remains by large the same.

As opposed to applying yout HLs wet, you'll apply them by way of various levels and grades of drybrushing. As you proceed from HL1 throught HL4 you'll go lighter and lighter with the amount of paint being laid down (and yes the colours will be lighter).

Your wash should naturally flow into crevices and gather around bolts, symbols, and lower areas of your surfaces. If you want to enhance the gathering qualities of your wash add a tiny bit of PVA glue to your mix; if you want to enhance the flow, add a tiny bit of dishwahing liquid.

Something I strongly advise though is that when trying new techniques, if you are not feeling particularly brave, always try it out on a scrap model or something else first.

Taok :C