Fraying paintbrushes... Help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Fraying paintbrushes... Help!

Hey, everyone...

I've had a problem that has me at my wits' end. I'm sure that someone else has had this, too, so I want to pose the question here.

My brushes are all fraying. They'll either just spread apart, or they fork into two branches. It's really annoying when I'm trying to draw a line or paint a thin area. I don't remember having this kind of problem long ago, but more recently Ive been getting brushes from Michael's or A.C. Moore, whatever's handy at the time.

Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? Or, is there a certain brand of brushes that keeps together better?

I build, I convert, I sometimes paint, and once in a while, if I'm really lucky, I might even play.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

The most common cause is letting paint get up inside the ferrule and dry there. Perhaps you've changed environments, are working under a much hotter lamp than before, in a dryer house, etc and the paint is drying in your brush hairs faster than you're used to? I have found that patient use of a good acrylic brush soap & conditioner can cure all but the most serious cases.

*Don't* make the mistake I once did and assume you just need to buy better brushes before checking on flaws in your technique and maintenance habits. You'll just end up wrecking $10 brushes instead of $3 brushes! =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As has been stated make sure you keep paint away from the metal bit, wash your brush often (especially when/if using foundation paints) and use your tongue to keep the point. Keep your paints thinned to stop them clogging up the bristles and make sure you store them with the plastic tube on and bristles up.

I also use soapy water to wash my brushes out after a painting session.

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x4)

As has been said, wash often, as in, every few minutes. You dont need to go the full soap and warm water business, just swish them around for a bit in your water pot/cup/mug.

Really, get obsessive-compulsive over rinsing your brushes like that, and soap them good when you finish painting.
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    975 (x8)

I would echo what was said above, but these things always bear repeating.

1. Wash your brush often. Gently swirl the brush in your water pot about every 5ish mins, if not more regularly. Swirl until the pigment stops coming out of the bristles. If you need to (ie: after finishing with a colour), gently press the brush onto the side of your water pot and twist.

2. Gently draw your brush across a piece of tissue, whilst rotating it, to draw the bristles into a point after use. You can also use your tongue to do the same thing.

3. Always, always keep the plastic tube on top of the brush when you aren't using it.

4. If possible, use a brush soap to clean your brushes (especially your better brushes) after you have finished with them. To use the soap, dip your brush into clean water, then swirl the brush into the soap. Rinse the brush in the water, and repeat a few times. Finally, put the cap on the brush, and put it away.

5. Replace your water regulaly. About every half an hour, at least. Always change water if you have used metallic paints, and swap to using non-metallic paints (unless you like shiny paint syndrome, or SPS, as I have now named it).

That last one is more of a painting tip, I suppose, but it ties into the brush soap one.

Best of luck!

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Thanks for the help, guys! Now, a few follow-up questions...

First, as far as I know, I'm not painting in a hotter place, but I have started using a dehumidifier in the basement. I can try turning that down a bit...

Also, is there a particular type of "brush soap," or will any old cleanser do?

And lastly, will I be able to restore the brushes I have, or am I stuck gettnig new ones to replace the currently-frayed?

Thanks again.
    I build, I convert, I sometimes paint, and once in a while, if I'm really lucky, I might even play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by zuke174 View Post
    Thanks for the help, guys! Now, a few follow-up questions...

First, as far as I know, I'm not painting in a hotter place, but I have started using a dehumidifier in the basement. I can try turning that down a bit...

Also, is there a particular type of "brush soap," or will any old cleanser do?

And lastly, will I be able to restore the brushes I have, or am I stuck gettnig new ones to replace the currently-frayed?

Thanks again.
    I would go to your local art store or shop online for brush soap. I would figure any acrylic brush soap would work. At my local art store I bought 2 kinds of soap - a liquid acrylic brush soap that I mix into the water pot and also a bar soap that I use after each painting session.

What I do with the bar soap is take the wet brush and then brush over the bar soap several times. Then I take a paper towel and gently twirl it across the paper towel until it forms a nice tip. The next time you paint you will have a nice sharp point on your brush. The soap will dissolve into the paint/water the next time and won't affect your painting at all.

Usually splitting is caued by paint getting up into the ferrule. Best to make sure you only put paint on the tip of the brush and not all the way up to the ferrule.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!