Librarium Online Forums banner

Bone Necron Lord and Warriors

55K views 102 replies 61 participants last post by  camarodragon 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is a start to my new Necron Army. I decided to go with a fairly distinctive bone colour for the armour. The coloured plastic rods can be bought from a company called Plastruct in various sizes, but there are tons of eBay shops selling them too.

After a request, I wrote a quick guide to painting these.

Other than the rod swaps, the warriors are standard. I swapped the Warscythe blade on the Lord for the scythe tip from the Warhammer Zombie sprue.

Any tips, comments or criticisms are welcome, fire away.

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks for all the nice comments! The painting was actually really simple. Undercoat white, two Gryphonne Sepia washes straight out of the pot, paint Bleached Bone over the armour plates and do highlights in very thinned Skull White on the edges.

Alzer and kevin, I think you're both right. The scythe looks a bit small and awkward in his hands and I need to add a 'something' to spice it up a little. I will probably extend the pole a bit, add another handle and possibly add some scroll or rags (like the cloak) hanging off it. I'm not sure yet, we'll see.

I don't have a Monolith built yet, the next batch are going to be another 5 Warriors and some Destroyers, then I might start on the 'Lith!

#12 ·
Great contrasting colours you have here, and nice job with the red rods. Agree with everyone about the scythe being too short however but it seems you've already started on making it longer so that's good =). Yeah, it does indeed seem people got bored of metal crons, but that's not really surprising. They look so boring =|. I'd like to see some flayed ones done in this colourscheme, however, they'd look great splattered in blood if you can do it right ^.^

#18 · (Edited)
Cheers everyone. I'm not really a painter so it's great to have some feedback (and criticism). I'll do my best to answer some of the questions.

... I'd like to see some flayed ones done in this colourscheme, however, they'd look great splattered in blood if you can do it right ^.^
I'm definitely going to attempt some Flayed Ones, but I've got some issues with the metal models and I'm looking around for some bits to convert regular Warriors and use putty for the flayed skin. My initial idea was to get some Gaunt scything talons and work with them, but we'll see.

They look a lot better then those standard metal ones. How did you do the red on their weapons?
I used plastic rod by a company called Plastruct. They do lots of sizes and colours, the one I used is 2.4mm (3/32") Flourescent red. Catalogue number FARR-3H. This shop on eBay stocks a large number of Plastruct products.

About the only nitpick I can make is the fact that the eyes seem to be the same colour as the rest of the Cron.
I'm terrible with small details so I left them out, haha.

any chance of a guide?
Sure, I'll spray the next batch now and write up a guide in a bit.

#19 ·
I think this scheme is awesome. It's bright and fresh, and captures the undead/skeletal feel of the Necrons. The red on the weapons really makes them seem malevolent. The black weapons seem a bit flat though. More highlights? Other than that, this is brilliant, one of my favourite 'cron schemes on the interwebs.

#20 ·
First off, may I say that is an excellent scheme. If I'd not just finished up 3,000pts of Metal Crons, I'd be inclined to give it a go!

I'm definitely going to attempt some Flayed Ones, but I've got some issues with the metal models and I'm looking around for some bits to convert regular Warriors and use putty for the flayed skin. My initial idea was to get some Gaunt scything talons and work with them, but we'll see.
I've considered this for a while, but gave in last Xmas and bought the metal minis. However, I ended up making some plastic Tomb Spyders (well.... a Destroyer with a modified Gauss Gun and Claw), but I struggled on making the claw. In the end I took a pair of Zombie scythe blades to make a Pincer, but you could easily make Flayed ones have a blade on each hand rather than small blades.

It'd also fit with your Lord's image, kinda like re-enforcing the Reaper image. The other option if you have access to Zombie spares is the knife blades they can be equipped with, and stick 2 on each hand... sort of like stabby hooves!

Anywho, keep up the excellent work and I look forward to seeing more of it :)

#21 ·
Finally! someone who doesn't paint crons the generic metallic way.

About flayed ones, one of my future conversion projects was to buy a box of gaunts for my nids and a box of warriors and use the scything talons for the flayed ones while turning the hormagaunts into spinegaunts. then i'll take extended carapace plates and use them on the warrior shoulders to make them more like immortals.

#22 · (Edited)
Painting Guide

Now, this isn't necessarily the best or the fast way. But it's fairly quick and yields nice results. This was rushed a little so feel free to take more time if you want. My setup is pretty simple. A tile (or in this case, plate), some water, some tissue and some paints.

I'm using standard GW brushes and the following paints:
Blood Red, Scab Red, Bleached Bone, Codex Grey, Skull White, Chaos Black. I'm also using Gryphonne Sepia wash.

Step 1, White and Black

After a white undercoat, water down some Black and paint the whole base. Also paint the whole gun. Don't worry about going over the rest of the model, we can cover it up with white after.

Step 2, Washes

Get your Gryphonne Sepia and wash the whole model with the brush straight from the pot. If you get some on the gun, it doesn't matter. Make sure it flows into the cracks in the armour on the chest and neck. Wait for this to dry. Go make some tea.

Back? Now do it again, except this time try to focus only on the joints, spine, pelvis, chest symbol and neck. If you get some on the armour plates, don't worry. Wait for this to dry completely.

Step 3, Armour Plates

Slightly thin some Bleached Bone and cover all the armour plates, including the back of hands and hips. I left the fingers brown. I decided to do the front of the head (the face) only, giving it a skull mask look.

If you were careful with the 2nd Wash, you should only need one coat - two at most.

Get the Skull White and mix a tiny amount of Bleached Bone. Paint this on the extreme edges of armour sparingly with thin lines. I did the collarbones, edges of the head and brow, edges of the shoulder plates and the top of the hips.

Step 4, Gun

I wanted to keep the paint job simple, so highlights were minimal. Use Codex Grey to highlight the sharp top edges of the main areas, shaft and head of the gun.

Painted the tube feed Scab Red. Wait for it to dry then paint over it with Blood Red.

Step 5, Finishing Touches

At this point I drybrushed the base twice. Once with Codex Grey, then with a very light drybrush of Skull White. Tidy up the base edge with black. The few pieces of slate rock or ruin were done the same. By using a dark and relatively simple base, it emphasises the colours of the model.

I used Water Effects here, but any Gloss would work. Pain the tube feed of the gun a few times then let dry to make it shine.

I then cut a section of rod out slightly longer than the green rods. Compare it to the gap in the gun and then file down the ends to get them smooth. Add a small bit of PVA on the ends and carefully slot it into the gun. Polycement (plastic glue) would work but PVA dries completely clear.

Job done! Hope that was clear and possibly helpful for anyone :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.