Librarium Online Forums banner

World Eaters, Kaiser style.

17K views 41 replies 29 participants last post by  danjones87 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT: More pictures in post #23, #30 and #36

So, after months and months of talking about getting some pictures up, I finally got around to borrowing a camera and figuring out which side of it was the back and which was the front. But still, I managed to get a few pictures(In my very low-budget studio consisting of a desktop lamp, a white towel and a box) and shared them with the others in LO-chat, who then suggested I should post them here. Besides, it's about time I added something of my own to the painting section, rather than just asking a question every other year or so.

This is squad Bloodwind of the World Eaters Legion, or in game terms;
8 Chaos Space Marines with the Icon of Khorne a Meltagun, led by an Aspiring Champion with a Powerfist mounted in a rhino with extra armor.

From left to right, the front row are The Meltagunner, The Icon Bearer, Anonymous Boltgunner and Average Bolt Pistol Guy. The Back row, from left to right is Ultragrit Dude, Bayonetted Boltgunner Man, Chainsaw-Shield Bob and then the Champion hiding away behind the others since he's a bit camera shy.

Another angle.

Yet another angle.

February 3rd 2009 EDIT: Found this picture on my harddrive:

Side shot of the rhino.

February 3rd 2009 EDIT: Found this picture on my harddrive:

Overview.

The rhino. Extra armor made from 22 Chaos Warrior shields from Fantasy Battles, the Front and the Doors are from Forgeworld and the spikes are scavanged from alot of chaos vehicle accessory sprues. The big Khorne rune on the top hatch is a plasticard cutout.

And the rhino from behind.

I can't use cameras, so the pictures aren't as great as they should be, but someone might be able to discern enough for it to spark some inspiration. :p

See less See more
#4 ·
I don't know what surprises me more, the fact that you posted or the fact that your models aren't hideous like I imagined in my little world. The shielded warriors and Rhino look great man! I really wish I thought of that, might have the steal the idea for my 'Letters or something.

-K

#5 ·
I finally got around to borrowing a camera and figuring out which side of it was the back and which was the front.
Sweden 1, technology 0 (hey, at least you didn't axe it, or Viking-laser it to fine, black powder).

(In my very low-budget studio consisting of a desktop lamp, a white towel and a box)
Sweden 2, stupid, modern stuff not requiring axes to build, 0.

As I said in chat, they look really cool. Nice work indeed!
But this trend of Swedish members posting their models might be a sign of the apocalypse... Better be careful..!

#6 ·
They look awesome regardless of the lack of camera skills :p Which isn't really discernible I think because I can make everything out fine.

There are certainly some rather inspiring(ie-stealable) ideas in this squad such as the shields on the rhino and for the champion, and all those little details that cover the rhino. It makes it look so awesome!

Can't wait to see some more tributes to the Blood God! :D *reppage*

#20 ·
No pictures in this post, sadly, but I figured I could answer the questions you've asked sofar.

If you don't mind me asking what color did you use on the rhino...
I started out with spraying the whole thing in chaos black, then splashed on a layer of mecharite red, then a quite generous splash of a chestnut ink/red ink mix, followed by a light drybrush of scab red/red gore on the open areas, followed by highlighting with blood red. I'm a big fan of inks and washes and tend to rely quite alot on those. :>

It looks a tad bit brighter in real life than it does on picture, but the colours on the marines are about right. Been thinking of darkening it a bit with devlan mud, but we'll see.

If I do have one criticism, I am not sure about having numbers / letters painted on the edge of the bases - it just seems to be a bit of a distraction.
After I was done with my first squad and had started on my second, I realised that if the two squads where ever to enter the same melee brawl it might be troublesome telling which model was from which squad, which is why I gave them roman numberals as a temporary solution, untill I can think of something better.

I dig em. Very cool and awesome useage of the shields. It reminds me of how vikings used to hang their shields on the sides of their longships, to add protection to the rowers and added protection.
That's accually where I got the idea from. In my room, I have a painting on the wall of three viking longships who're leaving the shores for the open seas, so when I was sitting there by my desk, twisting and turning the unconverted rhino around trying to come up with ideas for extra armor it hit me. :>

A note on the photography, if you can workout how to make the apature on your camera smaller. It will make the range over which it focuses larger. ;) (Though it might mean your photos are a litttle darker.)
I think I accually managed to do that - somehow, but thanks for the tip and I'll try and do it again the next time. :p

Skulls are a bit of a problem I agree, but instead of ravaging the earlier mentioned boxes (they have pretty crappy skulls anyway) you could go HERE.
Wow. Thank you soooo much for this link, skull bits are in quite high demand when building a World Eater army and there's simply not enough of them to suit my tastes on the regular sprues... especially not since half of the trophy racks are just filled with empty helmets. I'm picky, I want proper skulls, so I was overjoyed when I found the 100-pack of 28mm scale skulls there.

There's simply so many uses for skulls in a World Eater army, so not having any was rather limiting.

I'll see about getting another batch of pictures up sometime next week. Hopefully my skulls will have arrived by then so I can finish the skullchain I want hanging from the sides of the rhino and from some of the World Eaters themselves - afterall, World Eaters are infamous for their trophy collection, something my guys posted above aren't really showing.

#11 · (Edited)
Wow, alot of positive comments and I had thought my ego couldn't grow much bigger. Thanks alot though!

I'm not completely done with the rhino just yet though. I have a small chain lying around here, it's about a metre long but only about two millimetres thick, so I have a plan of collecting a large amount of skulls, drilling holes through them, pull the chain through the hole and then have the chain hanging from the side of it, but like most of my ideas, I haven't gone through with it yet because... well... I need more skulls. Alot of them. I'll be going through my bitboxes after christmas and see what I can scavage from there but I don't think it'll be enough to suit my needs.

Any ideas on where I might find a large amount of skulls without having to plunder tomb king/vampire count regimental boxes?

Also, here's the template I used to make the rune on the rhino top, if you print it out, it should be to-size with the rhino top hatch.

EDIT: [00:39:13] [Martox] Kaiser - mind putting a little 'Martox made this' in your post iwth the icon? Also add I'll do others if asked XD
^ Martox helped out by improving on my mspaint design yes. :>

Cutting friendly version here.

I'll see about getting some more pictures up since I've got some more finished models around here somewhere - my Khornate Raptor Lord, 8 Raptors and 8 Khornate Bikers, I'll probably have some pictures of them up before new years eve. :>

#12 ·
I dig em. Very cool and awesome useage of the shields. It reminds me of how vikings used to hang their shields on the sides of their longships, to add protection to the rowers and added protection. I could see them all piling out and yanking a shield off, to go swinging into combat.

Cool concept. Kudos man.

#15 ·
I really like the models.

A note on the photography, if you can workout how to make the apature on your camera smaller. It will make the range over which it focuses larger. ;) (Though it might mean your photos are a litttle darker.)

#23 · (Edited)
By Khorne, it's thread updating time... and only a month later than I promised!

Brilliant rhino and squad! I want to see some of your bigger
models if you have any, cos its thats how well you paint the smaller guys, I'd love to see the hq and termies or whatever. Also love the rhino with the shields.
Sadly, I'm that much of a lazy person that aside from the rhino above, I haven't really finished anything bigger than regular power armor users. Though I have plans for a Daemon Prince, 10 terminators with the forgeworld World Eater upgrade bits and the World Eaters Lord Zhufor model, so come back in a few months and so. I'll probably update this thread again sooner or alter... probably later.

I really like the shield armor idea I can't see the rest of the guys on my iPod but they look nice and World Eatery, quite fantastic. Not sure whether or not I would use 22 shields on one rhino (would be too tempted to make an entire command squad with shields) but it is still a cool effect, a bit of battle field repair with some high gothic chaos feel I love so much, good job
Well, it's not as much a battlefield repair thing as it was me thinking that I should really do something about all that open unused space on the rhino. I wanted to have a rhino that would really give a chaos impression even to someone who'd just give it a quick glance.

But now, as I promised last year. Here are my Raptors, the Goretalons. This time, I used photoshop to brighten the images a bit, so that you can accually see the models... unlike last time.

8 Chaos Raptors, Icon of Khorne, Flamer x1, Meltagun x1, Aspiring Champion with Powerfist along with a Chaos Lord with the Mark of Khorne and a Pair of Lightning Claws.

First row, from left to right: Raptor with Chainaxe/Shield, Raptor with Dualbladed Chainsword/Shield, Raptor Champion with Bolt Pistol/Powerfist, Raptor with Icon of Khorne(Combat-shield style), Bolt pistol/Chainsword, the Chaos Lord, Raptor with Chainaxe/Shield, Raptor with Chainsword/Shield, Raptor with Meltagun and Raptor with Flamer/Shield.

Closeup of the Dualbladed Chainsword/Shield Raptor;

This is probably my favourite model of the lot. While something as absurd as a dualbladed chainsword would more or less be impossible to use effectively in combat while wearing a shield... but hey, it looks awesome, so I can live with the unrealism of it. :>

Closeup of the Icon of Khorne Raptor;

I didn't really like the idea of having a Raptor flying around with a large icon on a stick, so I simply put an old bloodletter banner on his boltpistol, kinda like a space marine combat shield.

Closeup of Chaos Lord;

Like alot of my models, this guy has yet to be given a name. Eventually, I'll come up with one that I like and he shall be named. This model is slightly converted from this model. I basically just cut of the ridicilous vampire fang head and put a plastic berzerker helmet in it's place. Quite the improvement methinks. Stupid vampires.

EDIT: This was accually one of the first models I got for my World Eaters, but it's also my first attempt at powerweapon effects on a weapon and honestly, I'm not at all happy with how it turned out. Will defenatly be going back to the claws and redo them... in green I think.

EDIT2: And here are the bikers. I figured I might aswell get some pictures of them up while I was at it. These pictures turned out soooo much better than the raptors.

8 Chaos Space Marine Bikes, Icon of Khorne, 2x Meltaguns, Biker Champion with Powerfist

I bought these eight cheaply of another player at my club who was quitting. Sadly, they where already assembled, but I managed to hack away their torso and helmet, replacing them with bits from the berzerker box.

Bit of a closeup;

Closeup of the biker champion.

I really like how this picture turned out. It looks almost exactly the same as the original standing on my desk. Perhaps I'm finally getting a hang of this camera stuff. :>

EDIT3:

Also, a long awaited package finally arrived yesterday. S'time to start working on the second Rhino. :p

#22 ·
I really like the shield armor idea I can't see the rest of the guys on my iPod but they look nice and World Eatery, quite fantastic. Not sure whether or not I would use 22 shields on one rhino (would be too tempted to make an entire command squad with shields) but it is still a cool effect, a bit of battle field repair with some high gothic chaos feel I love so much, good job

#24 · (Edited)
Nice!

Love the shields.

Is that second biker from the left drunk? :S

Why is the Raptor champ chained to the ground? :watermelon:

EDIT: well, I know why from a modelling point of view.. It just looks a little odd. Everything else, including the rest of the Raptor champ, is ace, though.

Gah! EDIT2: sorry, not champ, lord.

#25 ·
Is that second biker from the left drunk? :S

Why is the Raptor champ chained to the ground? :watermelon:

EDIT: well, I know why from a modelling point of view.. It just looks a little odd. Everything else, including the rest of the Raptor champ, is ace, though.
Well, when I bought the bikes, they where already assembled, so there wasn't much I could do about the ducking biker guy. When I tried reposing him, I almost tore the bike handles off, so I decided it was just better to leave him as he where. He's holding a meltagun in his right hand too, which isn't visible on this picture.

As for the Lord, there's a chaos icon hanging under him. I did consider cutting the icon off at first, but then I would have to put him on some sort of flying base, which would mean drilling, but also cleaning up the chains the icon was hanging from and well, I think the model would look better if I just left the icon as it was then.

Thanks for your comments. :>

#27 ·
These models are BEAUTIFUL. How did you get that red armor so perfect??

#30 · (Edited)
Three words; Inks and washes. Inks and washes.

Your Worldeaters are cool, I like the Worldeaters having done them myself. I think the way you have used the colours really helps to bring out the red. The darker shades help to enhance it I think and it makes them look dirtier than the GW ones which I like. The Lord with the lightning claws is cool. The use of all those Berserker heads is good. Are you going to do any actual Berserkers instead of icon bearing marines? You should do something bigger, like a Defiler as your effects are above average.
Cheers for the kind words everyone, it's small things like that which gives me the motivation to try and improve so that the next model will be better than the one before it. :)

As for actual berzerkers - Yes, I will defenatly be painting up some of those - I mean, I have forgeworld World Eater upgrade kits to make 30 berzerkers and it would be a darn shame not to use them all, even if my current armylist plans only include 20 of them.

As for something bigger, I do have plans for making a daemon prince out of this mini, but I've put project on hold for a while as I'm not sure how if he's big enough for the job, how much work it will be adding wings(and what wings for that matter) to his back, what weapon to give him(as much as I like axes, I think he'd look cooler with a sword or even some kind of big claw thing) - I was also thinking of replacing his head since I'm not that fond of his horns... though I must say that they're growing on me, so we'll see.

I also have two defilerkits lying here in my room somewhere that I someday intend to build a Brass Scorpion out of, but that's more of a sideproject for Apocalypse which'll have to wait a little since I'd like to finish my 1750p list first, before allowing myself to get sidetracked by bit shiny metal monsters of destruction and gore... I am looking forward to start working on that though, it being my first conversion of that size. A proper scorpion with four pairs of legs, a set of claws and a tail.

Ah well, I did intend for this thread to contain painted minis only, but since you did ask about berzerkers, here are the seven I've assembled sofar;

This is Berzerker Bob. A buddy of mine dropped him into the floor when taking a closer look which broke his horns with the missing pieces being nowhere to be found, so I fixed his helmet as best as I could using a plastic berzerker helmet.

I've got three more I want to assemble before I start painting, including the skullc hampion, but there's also some cleaning work to do before I get there - like gluestains, some missed moldlines and I want to get the bases sanded before I spray them.. Perhaps some more battledamage too.

Also working on 40k-ifying this guy to use as a power armoured chaos lord with lightning claws. Replacing helmets and arms. Possibly try and greenstuff power armor greaves over his leather boots.

EDIT: Oh, since this thread now also contains unpainted stuff, I guess it's more of a project thread than a painting thread. Could any of the modteam move it there? :>

#29 ·
Your Worldeaters are cool, I like the Worldeaters having done them myself. I think the way you have used the colours really helps to bring out the red. The darker shades help to enhance it I think and it makes them look dirtier than the GW ones which I like. The Lord with the lightning claws is cool. The use of all those Berserker heads is good. Are you going to do any actual Berserkers instead of icon bearing marines? You should do something bigger, like a Defiler as your effects are above average.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.