Librarium Online Forums banner

Large Blood Angels Terminator

29K views 123 replies 21 participants last post by  King Ulrik Flamebeard 
#1 ·
And so it begins...

The painting of Cassar's (commissioned from a CMON frequenter) awesome sculpt.
Today I've added the brass etchings and some resin detail. If all goes well, I can undercoat the pieces tomorrow.
I'm not too sure about the resin skull on the back though, I might get rid of that...
In general I think it doesn't need that much more in terms of little glued-on tidbits. I think I'm going to add more detailing with self-made decals and freehand.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hehehe, cheers!

Well, here's some progress. I mounted and undercoated most parts. The legs are still giving me a headache though. I added a large etched brass aquila, which I pre-bent, but I'm now at attempt numer three and the top-right corner still is popping off. If this last gluing attempt doesn't do it I'll be forced to snap it off completely and rework the bending...
Oh, and I added a pic with the FW marine head, it kinda shows the scale difference.

#9 ·
Update:
I've been sidetracked to magnetize some small terminators and doing some work on the other vehicles.
Also, that top-right corner of the Aquila keeps popping of his leg and is driving me crazy!!!!! I think I'll pin that brass into place and hide the pin with a purity seal. Or maybe dab around with superglue activator but then I'd still need to find/buy some first...

#11 ·
You know.. I was just scrutinizing the Terminators... The SM in power armor at least have the arms centered on the body, with the head directly above the shoulders.. Terminators on the other hand, I've noticed, have the arms centered in the Power Armor (Which if I understand correctly has the huge powerpack on the back. This leaves the head being pushed drastically forward of where the shoulders would be located according to the location of the arms. So, is a pre-requisite for being a Terminator, being a hunchback?

Anyway, just something I noticed.. Seriously though, this looks awesome. Can't wait to see it finished.

#12 ·
It's funny you say that. I've always tried to imagine the "inside" of the suit and the position the marine must be in. Terminators - whilst looking cool - have to be the one of the most anatomically-challenged mini designs going. I've pointed this very subject out to people before - and they've all tried to excuse it with the following argument:

Space Marines are genetically enhanced, so they have a different physiology and are several "sizes" larger than a human.

This poses the following question:
Well, yes okay, but in that case if they're the perfect shape for tactical dreadnought (terminator) armour, how the hell do they fit into their power armour then?

Haven't heard a good argument for that one yet. Maybe they're stretchy like a marvel superhero!

#13 · (Edited)
following this train of thought it was also pointed out to me, cant understand how i ever missed it, that the terminators have no stomach/lower torso, going by the position of the head and shoulders the chest sits directly on the hips, in this sculpt i tried in my defence to make it as anatomically correct as i could in that he has a midrif and his shoulders and arms dont sprout from the side of his head lol. the result of this is that you end up with a taller less bulky looking creation than the standard gw termi's and the heads do seem to be a little far forward. having said that if you were to in reality to strip a marine or terminator from his armour he would be anorexicley skinney, the armoured figures are body sized if you get my drift and to contain a human would need to be significantly bulkier.

#15 ·
Hehehe Loreseeker, well it wasn't very hidden either. ;) I still have to in that brass sucker though... I've been a bit preoccupied lately so not much progress sadly...

Yeah, that's a good diagram. It makes the power armour somewhat plausible, the terminator armour does remain another story... it kind of takes some sort of fingers-in-your-ears science. ^^ But hey, it looks cool. :D

#22 ·
Superglue activator is like..woah!

I should have heeded that advice a long time ago... Now let's see what it does over the following days. :D
The plasticard-copy would've been a good alternative though. Finally this thing can move forward if the sucker stays on now. Hurrah!

And also, the demon in progress... The horns still need drybrushing and I'm thinking of giving the runes a light blue colours, as if glowing, and also give them a healthy coat of glow-in-the-dark paint.

But the LEDS have run into a problem. When first having bought those UV LEDS, the guy at the show told me they were 1V, so I prepared for a setup of 9 LEDS on a 9V battery on 3 x 3 LEDS wired in series to spread the voltage. But a test setup relusted in lo light whatsoever.
A mate of mine, with his infinite LED wisdom, informed me that they are probably between 3.2 and 3.8V but that much voltage that means I can probably only setup 3 LEDS max on a 9v battery. That would give me nowhere near enough light I fear and the base of the thing won't allow for more batteries...

#25 ·
On the LED issue - could you just do three loops of three LEDs each? I wonder how good I can type a simple diagram up?

+--[///]--+
|.........= <--Switch
|.........|
|-O--O--O-|
|.........|
|-O--O--O-|
|.........|
|-O--O--O-|

#26 ·
Long time no update, but I've just been lagging behind on taking pics. I haven't solved the LED issue yet, the lack of space inside the thing is a bit worrying. Also, time-wise, I might have to ditch the LEDs altogether and just go for a clean base. In any case the UV paint does shine quite brightly in even low light conditions.

Cheers for the diagram, that's actually quite helpful. It is how I set up the original layout with just one 9V battery. But to power 12 3,2V or 3,8V UV LEDs I'd have to cram 2 or 3 of them in there and I doubt that there's room for them and the cabling.

So here's the bust, more or less finished I feel. There's glow-in-the-dark paint on his bulging veins, his eyes, the silver and copper disc, and the glowing runes on his horns. purely from an aesthetic point of view, it might look better with dark inlays for the runes, but the light paint job does work its wonders in the dark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.