How do I prevent brushes from splitting/fraying? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I prevent brushes from splitting/fraying?

I'm having trouble with the hair on my fine brushes splitting apart and essentially ruining the point of a fine detail brush. Right now I'm using brown nylon brushes. Ordered a GW superfine brush with an order of my haemy, do the GW brushes work better?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

I dont know how to stop them from splitting, But I do like the new GW brushes compared to the ones they had a few years back. I only have a detail brush but it works great and no splitting yet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x3)

Cheaper brushes do that quicker than a good kolinsky brush will, it's just an unfortunate fact of life. Good brush care will prolong it but not for long. If you don't mind buying brushes often just accept it, I use cheaper brushes for larger sizes and then use them for stippling, varnish etc

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1386 (x8)

I've been using fine-detail brushes from Westwater Enterprises. The best I've used so far are Loew-Cornell, but I've reserved them for canvas use only. Both are very cheap, very generic. The point is that I haven't seen a noticeable difference between these and GW brushes, save the cost for that neat little Citadel/GW logo.

Anyways, proper brush care helps, but if you're willing to lick your brush and use your lips to help shape the point, it can get you through between dips onto the pallet. Dip, paint, lick, dip, repeat. It gets you odd looks, and turns your lips funny colors, but hey - it saves money.
    The 2014 Site Campaign: Roll Call!

My Nippon Armybook, now on Isuu, Scribd, and free for download at Google Docs

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x5)

Brushes aren't gonna last forever, wear and tear is natural. But like some have said some brands last longer. I've been using the Army Painter brushes and they seem pretty good quality so far for a good price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok.. This isn't the best of news, since the models and paints (I usually buy vallejo since they are a dollar cheaper and 17 ml) are expensive as it is. Definitely going to look into some of these other brands though. Would using a brush sparingly help extend its life a bit? Like having 5 identical brushes, and using them one per model, then starting the cycle again after 5 models?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x3)

Warm (not hot) soapy water and store them with the bristles safe and not against anything that can misshapen them. Also repoint your brush all the time after rinsing, cleaning etc with your lips or fingers. Soak your split brush for ten mins in warm soapy water then twist it back to shape. Can sometimes save a brush that way.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

954 (x8)

The biggest reason brushes fray is because paint gets up into the metal ferrule and pushes the hair bristles apart. You can extend the time with meticulous cleaning and care, but it is going to happen eventually. You can spend $20 on the finest brush available and have the best intentions of never letting paint get too far up the bristles and always cleaning it out perfectly and always giving it the spit point (mandatory) when storing (stick the cleaned out brush in your mouth and pull it out to force the bristles to a point), etc. etc., but it will still happen in time.

Stay away from the REALLY cheap brushes that don't have a decent point to begin with, but I use a reasonably priced set of four I buy at the craft store for about $6 that has two medium and two fine point. I just rotate them through different uses the longer they are in use. And, when it no longer suits my needs (at the end of it's life, it is destined only to apply wash in larger areas...) it does not break my heart or wallet to throw it out and grab another out of the bag. They are nylon sables and work great. I am not at home now and cannot look at the brand -sorry!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

211 (x4)

Indeed, copious licking, gentle but thorough care, and making sure no paint enters the metal ferrulamajigathingie.
    Hmmm... sounds like some kind of 'how to treat your woman' advice...

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    I've been using fine-detail brushes from Westwater Enterprises. The best I've used so far are Loew-Cornell, but I've reserved them for canvas use only. Both are very cheap, very generic. The point is that I haven't seen a noticeable difference between these and GW brushes, save the cost for that neat little Citadel/GW logo.

Anyways, proper brush care helps, but if you're willing to lick your brush and use your lips to help shape the point, it can get you through between dips onto the pallet. Dip, paint, lick, dip, repeat. It gets you odd looks, and turns your lips funny colors, but hey - it saves money.
    I started doing this (well, something kinda like it) with my new brushes and I've been pretty impressed so far. Thanks for the advice, something I never thought about.