Baseing - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baseing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baseing

A good base can set a model off. there are many simple ideas that are veary easy to do and look veary good. A simple codex gray drybrush over black under coat then read ink wachsed i think looks ace. i would like for people to donate some of there baseing meathods for not only me to use but for any other people. please try your best to give step by step meathods Sparks_jonathan

"Mr. Cypher please come out from underneath the table, the Dark Angels are not out to get you."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

Well, for my inquisition models I've been putting medium size ballast on them, painting them completely codex grey, drybrushing black, then inking black. Looks pretty black, with a little bit of grey left... fitting for the color scheme of my Inquisition models. And those are the only models that don't just have regular ballast and static grass on them.
    Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I just made a bunch of bases (20) for my tactical marines I am working on using cork, the slate from the new Urban Basing Kits, and randon pieces of plastic, cut up city building pieces, etc.

I am currently painting them up but the formula is really easy. Primed black, drybrushed with a dark grey, followed by medium grey, washed with watered down black ink, drybrush of light grey, maybe a little vallejo smoke to add a little color to the grey. Details are picked out in appropriate colors.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

I'm really into cork tiles at the moment, they are versatile, cheap and give excellent effects.
    Layer them up and pick and scratch at their surface to provide an irregular edge and surface.
    Then paint whatever scheme you like over (rock, dirt, slate etc) - after a base coat.
    You can also use the small pieces you pick off as rocks etc.

Get thee to a model train shop!
    These shops are treasure troves of cheap flocks and different colours and types of static grasses, trees, shrubs and small rocks (ballast). They are usually way cheaper than the GW equivalent and excellent quality. E.g. I paid $6 Au for a packet of flock the size of my fist, I don't think I will use this in a lifetime.

The fibres from natural twines and ropes are also useful to use as dry and dead grasses, or painted as tufts of exotic/tall grasses.

Milliput or greenstuff also work well to make little add ons: bones, stumps, sticks, mushrooms etc..

Thats all I can think of right now....
    Coulrophobia - Fear the Clown!

ANZAC clan Inquisitor =]A[=

Quote Originally Posted by A mod
    Killer Clown - Please refrain from the dry, mocking, sarcasm you have so wittingly displayed here
    .....flattery is my Achilles' heal.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

Some people make custom scenic bases and then recast them in resin.

Myself? I barely ever base anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well on my grass bases i glue sand on the base prime it black paint it darkbrown and highlight with bleached bone. then glue som static grass ^^

for city i take sand prime it black drybruch grey then white

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there war a realy cool swamp base in a white dwarf an while ago. ballast black base coat dry over brush graveyard earth and then brown in wash it. leave sertan areas free from ballast and applay a mix of graveyard and rotting and then apply coats of gloss. add small bits of lychin and some reed like things it looks ace but i cant find the reed like things
    "Mr. Cypher please come out from underneath the table, the Dark Angels are not out to get you."

heretical thoughts? ShadowZora13's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    231 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by slorak
    I just made a bunch of bases (20) for my tactical marines I am working on using cork, the slate from the new Urban Basing Kits, and randon pieces of plastic, cut up city building pieces, etc.

I am currently painting them up but the formula is really easy. Primed black, drybrushed with a dark grey, followed by medium grey, washed with watered down black ink, drybrush of light grey, maybe a little vallejo smoke to add a little color to the grey. Details are picked out in appropriate colors.

Cheers,

-Mike
    I used the tutorial on your site a while back for my kroot, and I got to say, wow it looks good. Thanks a bunch for the great technique.

Not to mention it makes models freakin tall... All the kroot I have done are over a head taller than any marine, which makes for some really impressive looking models.

Other thn that, I'm experimenting with a red dirt look for my iron hands, a sort of medusa (their home world, not the rip off campaign world) look. it always helps to add something to the base that sticks up, like a large rock or grass patch or bush.

"...lest we perish without ever recognizing our peril"
    -Inquisitor Hoth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

an easy method i use is i coat them in like a sand sort of think i picked up (by woodland scenics, pssibly ballast?). I put a few patches of glue down about 1 mm thick and coat those in static grass. then i will glue on either a peice of wood or a rock. If it's a peice of wood i leave it like it is. For rock, i paint them black, drybrush thick shadow grey, then slightly thinner space wolves grey and finally highlight them with white.

You can see the bases from this image of my battlesuit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Just to follow up - here are the painted bases that I posted earlier and a description of how they were painted:

I spent around 2 hours or so painting up the 20 bases and can finally say I am finished with them. Still need to paint the sides a solid black but the rest of it is finished. They are pretty straight forward as far as painting goes:

Primed black, drybrushed with vallejo model color dark grey, drybrushed with vallejo model color london grey, washed a touch with vallejo model color smoke, and finally drybrushed with vallejo game color wolf grey.

The bronze bitz were given a wash of vallejo verdegris. The iron poles for the razor wire were based with vallejo air brush color hull red and then lightened with both vallejo game color terracotta and vallejo model color red leather.

The figures will be pinned through the cork on the bases when they are finished!

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!