Looking for a new graphics card... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for a new graphics card...

So i bought DOW 2 a ways back ( preordered it actually ) only to find out my graphics card is alot worse than i thought it was (dual radeon x600 ). Short story is, it dosent work and its makeing me a little sad to look at it on my desk every day. Ive always been a fan of PC gameing but i can no longer run anything new at all. I dont know alot about vidio cards but i want one that will be abloe to handle current games decently, and be able to last for a little while. The one ive ben looking at is the Sapphire Radeon HD 4870. I dont really want to spend to much and itll run me about $150.

I just wanted to know, is it a decent card for modern games (AKA DOW2 and newer) and will it be able to last for while till i can covince myself to get a new computer all together?

Lizardmen: 9/3/1
    Death Gaurd: 6/6/2
    Warriors of Chaos 3/1/1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

How well does the rest of your system meet the requirements of DoW2 and similar games?

Upgrading your graphics card may be a poor investment if the rest of your system is going to hold you back (and the money could be better spent going towards a new build).

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My system is completely up to spec and has 6gb of ram and should be perfectly fine, the only thing that could be an issue is the power supply which i have no clue what it is and will have to open it up and find out.
    Lizardmen: 9/3/1
    Death Gaurd: 6/6/2
    Warriors of Chaos 3/1/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x3)

Power supplies tend to be an issue, especially if you're runing two graphics cards. I don't know if I'm posting too late and you've got the problem sorted, but the 4870 would probably be the best option for you in general if you're looking for an upgrade to ghet better gaming power. The other thing that could be slowing your PC down is the processor, but I assume your CPU isn't bad if you have 6GB RAM. The best current option (and cheapest realistic option) is to go for a fast (2.6 GHz+) AMD athlon II or phenom II dual core, or an Intel Core2 Duo (but that would be more expensive for a similar performing CPU)

~ L

+ Reply to Thread