Overclocking 486dx2/80 And 486dx4/100 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

Well, at work I have access to a crappy-crap EISA motherboard mounting a 486DX2-80 processor, and as it is pretty much useless, asked my boss if he would allow me to try overclocking it. He agreed.

So, I think I might use it as a testing ground before I try overclocking my personal 486DX4-100 in order to gain a better performance.

Has any of the folk here tried overclocking such old hardware? Could you give me any advice?

:blush: Yes, I am an absolute overclocking noob... but I want to improve...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try having a look at this, you might find it useful...

http://totl.net/Eunuch/Eunuch2.html
    I live in your eyes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is your goal in overclocking this thing?

It has been a loooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg time since I worked on anything anywhere near the age of this thing, so I would have to do some digging and stuff to remember if and how these are overclockable.

In general, though, if you can change the clock speed, you are probably going to be looking at using jumpers. Take a look at the board, and see if you can adjust the system speed or the multiplier. Like I said, it has been a long time...

Honestly, if you want to try your hand at overclocking, I would recomend something a bit newer, as for numerous reasons it will be much more...overclocking friendly.

I should note that personally, I do not overclock my hardware, for several reasons. In general it is not the wisest idea, in my humble opinion.
    "Don't Delay-The best is the enemy of the good. By this I mean that a good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week. War is a very simple thing, and the determining characteristics are self-confidence, speed, and audacity. None of these things can ever be perfect, but they can be good."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

Well, the question is irrevelant now, that the motherboard gave up its soul when I just only installed it back into my PC...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

Wow. 486. Wow.

I'm stunned really. In fact, I thought there was a multinational law against using computers so old. The last time I laid eyes on a 486 I was 13 years old. I'm 26 now.

Wow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by H0urg1ass@Oct 26 2004, 06:49
    Wow. 486. Wow.

I'm stunned really. In fact, I thought there was a multinational law against using computers so old. The last time I laid eyes on a 486 I was 13 years old. I'm 26 now.

Wow.
    [snapback]238092[/snapback]
    Heh...I go to the University of Maryland, College Park, a top flight research school in the arena of Aerospace Engineering. I was working on a project a couple years ago in our materials building using one of the stress/strain testers with a strain gauge hooked up to the sample we were testing (basically taking a piece of steal and pulling it apart until it broke, gathering data on the force being applied and the distance it is stretching as a function of time). The data was collected by a 386 based PC. The data capture was a real simple little program (it was not a lot of data or anything, just a couple streams of numbers), and it just wrote it to a .dat file which we then pulled off of it. That was the last time I was in that building, but at the time there were no plans in the works to replace the machine, because it just worked.
    "Don't Delay-The best is the enemy of the good. By this I mean that a good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week. War is a very simple thing, and the determining characteristics are self-confidence, speed, and audacity. None of these things can ever be perfect, but they can be good."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread