Space Marine and Space Marine Kill Team - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space Marine and Space Marine Kill Team

When will Kill Team come out? Space Marine is sometime in September but I thought Kill Team was coming out before Space Marine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is out. I don't have the 800 points to get it but downloaded the Demo and I've enjoyed it.
    Wins: 3 Losses: 6 Draws: 3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

the game is okay, but the controls are sub-par at best and none of the classes are very good at all unless they have a co-op partner.
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

the things i didn't like about kill-team

- one kill kroozer is portrayed as an unstoppable doom that'll cost the lives of millions against a forgeworld that would be have standard orbital/planetary defenses, a fleet of admech ships, a horde of skitarii, a titan legio, and whatever the kill team came from.

- co-op is splitscreen only, no online available. and they point out your friends' high scores all the time, basically rubbing it in your face that you cant play with them online. no AI teammates to make up for it either.

- classes are poorly balanced. the ranged ones are generally better.

- most of the weapons felt poorly represented. for example, a meltagun is not a non-stop laserbeam.

- some large gaps between checkpoints.

- almost everytime you enter a big room, the game stops, the camera pans around, and the voice in your head explains to you where you are and what you are supposed to do there. also, you can't skip past these.

- the bland narration from your superior, he's an expert in ork technology and always knows exactly what you need to do... also, the endless repetition of space marine mottos that he spouts after every order.

- enemies (orks and nids) fire intermittantly but very accurately, instead of Dakka-esque spray and pray.

- termagants being the most strongest non-boss mob to deal with.

- various small graphical/design flaws.

shrug, low expectations for Space Marine as well, videos/reviews/hype (what little hype there was) has done nothing show that'll it contend with any other the other shooters this fall. but it's 40k-related, so i'm stuck playing it anyways.
    Last edited by Certs; September 9th, 2011 at 09:35.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

In the interest of balance to the discussion I'll have a pop at what was good about kill-team, and why we should be optimistic/excited about space marine.

First off its nice that 40k is getting a video game. No matter how you want to put it - fire warrior was awful and beyond that there just hasn't been anything. Fantasy had shadow of the horned rat, then more recently mark of chaos. Even bloodbowl had a hit game before 40k really got into it. There's just something about smiting the foes of the emperor/killing the minions of the false emperor that is so very appealing.

Kill team isn't a game that you can judge based on traditional methods of reviewing a game. FIrstly it only costs 800 microsoft points which translates (depending where you get your points from) into less than £10. It isn't supposed to be a polished product with different game modes, perfect gameplay and story etc etc. Its just an arcade game and for one of those it as some of the best graphics I've seen. The gameplay is taken straight out of other tried, tested and loved arcade games (usually involving zombies etc) and works very well in its simplistic fashion. It sets out to work a certain way and sticks to it well, which makes it easy to pick up and play for a laugh now and then which is the whole point of arcade games.

I'd agree that close combat was worse than ranged if you were alone, but when you partner up and have a vanguard and sternguard together it works very well. Much better than techmarine and sternguard.

As far as worrying about space marine... Have no fear! Have a look on the rumours and previews scetion of LO for the recent thread about the game... there's links to a bunch of videos and more can be found all over the internet. From the ones I've seen (all of them I think) it looks absolutely awesome. I've never pre-ordered a game in my life but I pre-ordered this one

On that point, you can pre-order it for £32.99 from blockbuster's website if you live in the uk which is the cheapest it is anywhere. That comes with a golden bolter too.
    'War does not determine who is right, only who is left'
    I am President of the Brunel University wargames society - PM me if interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

169 (x4)

edit: shortened... slightly.

we said the same thing about 40k getting a movie, unfortunately we got ultramarine.

even compared to other arcade games, kill team has major faults. most other arcade shooters will incorporate online co-op, it's not a new concept. and those that don't, generally make up for it with massive amounts of content, like Torchlight (Oblivion/Fallout is a non-arcade example of this).

despite being a 40k fan (in the hobby for 15 years), i'm a bigger video gamer (majored in game art/design). outside of 40k-based forums and my 40k club. heard little hype about Space Marine. and of that, there's almost nothing about its multiplayer. for shooters, online gameplay determines replayability and how worth your money the game will be outside of just renting it.

there's a ton of other titles releasing this fall, almost all of which have received more hype than space marine. to include but not limited to: resistance, gears of war, halo, modern warfare, battlefield, and batman all have sequels coming out by november. once those games hit the shelves, most interest in Space Marine will past from any gamer who isnt a tabletop 40k player.

low outside interest to sales-driven GW will mean less inclination to produce a sequel. GW is a tabletop wargaming company, they know where they belong and don't seem like that are interested enough to invest in competing in the console gaming industry nor should they try honestly.
    Last edited by Certs; September 9th, 2011 at 09:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

169 (x4)

with the game out now. for those interested...

single player campaign only, no cooperative mode.

must purchase the game (or if renting, buy a code online) to access multiplayer beyond level 5. there are two game modes, team deathmatch and domination (control objectives). private games earn exp as well.
    -space marines versus chaos space marines (basically just a skin change), which 3 classes: assault, tactical, and devastator, each with a number of perks/wargear for that class. currently, there are 5 maps available.

Exterminatus mode, SM's hordes/firefight mode is linked your multiplayer stats. will be available beginning in october (comes with 2 maps, both versus orks).

----
    Pros:
    - based on 40k universe
    - decent overall story/concept
    - 'tried/tested/loved' gameplay (a cross between Gears of War and Dynasty Warriors)
    - decent graphics though lacking in variety
    - decent range of weaponry (about 5-6 different exchangeable ranged weapons, but if you like the thunderhammer you cant use them anyways)

Cons:
    - a number of flaws in fluff/canon, bad plot devices/easter eggs
    - repetitious gameplay, mostly nothing new/innovative gameplay-wise
    - reliant on executions to regain health (mainly just a problem when facing large amounts of shooting enemies or caution from bomb squigs being in the area)
    - sub-par multiplayer compared to other shooters

-----
    overall, i'd give the campaign an 8/10. but the multiplayer is a 6/10, there's just nothing about it that current games don't already have or do better, and a bunch of those games have sequels coming out this fall.

i didnt buy it but i do recommend it highly as a rental, definitely to play the campaign, and then testing out the multiplayer to see if it appeals to you before deciding whether to buy or not.
    Last edited by Certs; September 12th, 2011 at 23:55.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

As Certs sais it exactly.The game is a bit buggy too at least in the PC version,there seems to be a random area loading error which freezes the game.For me its in act 3 others have it sooner or later.Lets hope for some patches soon.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by pilot00 View Post
    As Certs sais it exactly.The game is a bit buggy too at least in the PC version,there seems to be a random area loading error which freezes the game.For me its in act 3 others have it sooner or later.Lets hope for some patches soon.
    I have yet to experience any freezes. To be fair, it seems pretty solid, and I've got to chapter 13 without technical incident.

Like most of Relic's 40k games, it seems like a solid base to build from. I didn't find DoW or DoWII particularly inspiring, but I found the expansions improved it no end. Adapt this to a Mass Effect style RPG with the Inquisition as the focus and something other as Orks or Chaos as the enemies and they could be on to a huge winner.

Despite the repetitive gameplay, it is glorious fun to carve your way through hordes of Orks or CSM...and Fury really helps out with the health issue when you kill enough. For me, this was a 7.5 out of 10.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

11. Likewaddywoos liked this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space marine is one of the best games around, it's finally opened my eyes to the grim dark of the 40k universe. And the weapons now have a feel for me, I never liked the idea of devastators until this game, just the feel of the heavy bolter and plasma cannon, really brings the whole thing to life for me. And the multiplayer is just phenomenal, wish there were servers in Australia, but hey, even with mediocre connection I still have a heap of fun, and that's what it's all about, 9/10 overall

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast