Warhammer Online - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warhammer Online

I was following the progress of Warhammer Online for many months before it finally "closed down". I was dissapointed of course (especially after all the progress the game had made), but had hopes still. Later Climax announced via PC gamer that Warhammer Online was indeed still in development, but that GW could no longer help financially. Since then I have heard NO news about the game, its developmental stage, or whether another publisher has been found.

I would love any information that anybody has on it! Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why did they stop payign for it? They have engough money to spare.

It could be becuase if people play that model sales will go down. They can do what magic did to coutn er act that maek you buy the models for use in the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GW blow my mind. They produce products that have a very high profit margin, use publications that double as reading material and double as a marketing tool to sell their stuff (White Dwarf) and then they say they can't sink money into something else.

Maybe the UK division is better, but I know a 2 different store owners that say GW is very hard to deal with. One store stopped carrying their product and the other one is currenty in a dispute with them and is since buying GW stuff through a 3rd party vendor.

When dialing woth some gaming companies it isn't as bad, but GW does 2 things incorrectly:

1) They don't listen to their fan base

2) They do nothing to hide the fact they are money hungry vampires that are constantly looking for a way to charge more for their products without giving raising the standard of their line up

Before I hear that every company is out to make money blah blah blah, you don't need to do it this way.

I have fun with their stuff just like everyone else, I just don't like the sales and marketing division.

Hopefully the online game proves to be awesome. I would like to give it a try as I very much enjoy warhammer fluff.

Crossing my fingers...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warhammer online is still alive and kicking, atleast according to a sidenote in PCgamer. They haven't found a publisher yet but GW still gives financial support and advice on the product, thats all I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daviszko
    Guardsman 173rd, those are incredible - you've impressed me and my friend who I linked it to. Nice work!!
    http://artpad.art.com/?ihxjyl1j1r4s
    http://artpad.art.com/?ihxveyxdfp4
    http://artpad.art.com/?ihz6s11k5ao

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I don't understand the backlash against this.

GW is a financial entity that seeks to make profit like any other business. If the cost of capital used to invest in this project will not provide greater returns than if it were invested in another area (facility expansion, opening of new locales, etc.) it makes business sense to terminate.

In exchange for money, they provide a product. We buy that product because its value is equal to what GW charges. Market equilibrium means that if the product is overpriced, people will find alternatives that provide similar benefits. Since we're still playing, the product provides benefit relative to its cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red120
    In exchange for money, they provide a product. We buy that product because its value is equal to what GW charges. Market equilibrium means that if the product is overpriced, people will find alternatives that provide similar benefits. Since we're still playing, the product provides benefit relative to its cost.
    They are a monopoly on their copyrighted material, they then use this monopoly to sell plastic for 40$ (CDN). Can you see why some players have a problem with them?
    Proud bearer of the Imperial Medal of Anti-Fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by revin
    They are a monopoly on their copyrighted material, they then use this monopoly to sell plastic for 40$ (CDN). Can you see why some players have a problem with them?
    Weak.

That's not a monopoly.

That's like saying the Coca-Cola Company has a monopoly on Coca-Cola.

box
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its not really that they have a monopoly. its just that there there is no decent competition. dont blame a company for trying to make money. hey atleast there products are not made by people who get payed less than 2 bucks and hour

it also seems to me that all modelling hobbies are over priced. just look at model trains and stuuf hrrgm.....and eh ehghgff and ofcourse there is grhhgffg (sorry i ran out of examples)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

In all honesty, the idea of Warhammer Online is weak. The market is saturated right now with very good fantasy and science fiction online games and IMHO I don't think WO has a realistic chance at grabbing a significant market share.

It was a smart move to get out while they could. Anyone that understands the term 'throwing good money after bad' can see the situation they were in.

Sure WO as a 'gimmick' would have drawn in a decent initial crowd, maybe even one that could make the whole idea break even. But mmorpg usually have a very large drop off of subscribers after the first couple of months and if your product is only breaking even at that point then you are just going to start losing money.

As a business move it was a good one for GW. I wouldn't doubt that they still have a clause in the contract for WO that says if looks profitable then GW has the option to buy back in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree. WO was "revolutionary" in many ways. It strayed away into vastly uncharted territory (magic system, profession progression), even as MMO's go. It took a good deal of what was bad in most MMO's and made it better, and in a way that is still familiar to Warhammer fans. I also think that nearing production, with more advertising, the primary fan base would not be Wargamers. Although all the initial hype came from warhammer fanboys who discovered that their beloved world was going digital, the game would soon expand to a larger genre. DoW for instance was originally picked up by the 40k'ers, but nearing release and soon after the target demographic shifted. Point is, GW still has alot to make from this game, and with 2-3 years spent shoveling money into it, I think they should spend the extra year and at least recoup their "loses".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast