Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Managed to get it running. Do the following things:
1. Install Microsoft Virtual PC (trial is limited to 45 days)
2. Create a new virtual HDD. Fixed size works good, 800 Mb is enough for a small install of CG alongside the OS - but I advise to create one 400-600 Mb vHDD (purely for OS) and one 800 MB vHDD (for the game itself).
3. Set your virtual machine so that you have these two HDD's mounted. Advanced users might also want to mess around the settings file and alter the amount of VRAM that the emulated GPU has (you can set it to 16 or 32 if you like - not that 8 is not enough).
3. Install the OS. Windows 98 SE works well enough.
4. Install Chaos Gate and the DirectX from its CD.
5. Rejoice, for the game will run in the virtual machine without any problems.
6. What are you staring at? GO PLAY THE GAME!!!
PS. Those with CD-R/RW and at least one clean disc might find it much, much easier to get all the patch files, maps, solutions etc onto the emulated hardware.
PS2. I'm gonna test how VPC work with DOS - and ye olde Space Hulk!
However does Chaos Gate running with "without any problems" mean that it does not have any additional problems compared to it's normal buggy nature? (!!!)
Chaos Gate is a top game but the buggyness can get frustrating at times.
Good work anyway at getting the thing to work!
Yes.However does Chaos Gate running with "without any problems" mean that it does not have any additional problems compared to it's normal buggy nature? (!!!)
In case you did not know, the cursed thing cannot be ran under Windows XP - even with all the compatibility modes etc. Some people managed to get around that, but only using certain settings native only to XP Proffesional, and thus their method does not work for XP Home.
And, application of patch v1.2 eliminated all noticeable bugs in my version. So it's pretty smooth now.