CD-ROM problems - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CD-ROM problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CD-ROM problems

I got a game recently and my D drive won't read it. When I put something else in though, it reads it fine. Could someone give me a solution to this?

<-- that room over there in my avatar is full of people who think you are funny...BURN...

"There are some who call me...Tim?" - Tim the Enchanter

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

put it in your C drive it will work better,
    it could be your graphics card or your drivers. or the disk, or the game, it could be any number of things
    whats it saying to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by artificer
    The quote is "in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war",
    NOT "in the grim darkness of the far future, there are these little, fat, drunken goits with beards!"
    WELL SAID, NO MORE SQUATS THEY ARE DEAD GET OVER IT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by aufde
    I got a game recently and my D drive won't read it. When I put something else in though, it reads it fine. Could someone give me a solution to this?
    In all honesty, just because a game is new doesn't mean it works right.

You may have gotten a blank disk!

Try the disk in another computer and see if it can be read by it's cd-drive.

Also, the disk may not have come with auto-play.

Have you right clicked on the cd-drive with the disk in and tried to explore the cd?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

Maybe the game is on a DVD rather then CD?
    Maybe the disc surface is dirty, scratched or otherwise damaged?

put it in your C drive it will work better,
    That was DUMB. C drive is the dafault letter for first HDD.
    it could be your graphics card or your drivers. or the disk, or the game, it could be any number of things
    Yeah, right, bad graphics card making a CD unreadable? Honestly. I think that's BS. These devices are two different things and _except_ for some _very_ odd case of resource conflict they should have no effect upon one another.
    Besides, as aufde already said, the issues occur only with a single disc. Go figure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the game is Diablo 1 so I doubt it is a DVD. My computer is very old, so when I found my computer was capable of playing it I got it. The disk doesn't seem scratched or dirty. I borrowed my friends and his works fine. It's really weird. I asked him to burn it for me, and he said he didn't know how, so If you could tell me about that, that would be great.
    <-- that room over there in my avatar is full of people who think you are funny...BURN...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by aufde
    Well the game is Diablo 1 so I doubt it is a DVD. My computer is very old, so when I found my computer was capable of playing it I got it. The disk doesn't seem scratched or dirty. I borrowed my friends and his works fine. It's really weird. I asked him to burn it for me, and he said he didn't know how, so If you could tell me about that, that would be great.
    I'm still leaning toward it being a bad disk. Take it to your friends house and try it on his computer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

85 (x4)

I borrowed my friends and his works fine. It's really weird.
    100% bad disc case. No kidding.
    I asked him to burn it for me, and he said he didn't know how, so If you could tell me about that, that would be great.
    Contrary to belief common among computer beginners, having a CD-ROM drive is not enough to record a copy of a CD-ROM disc. A CD-R drive is needed.

Do you know any person who has such a drive and could make you a copy of this game? If so, do that. If no, you're screwed, unless you can convince your friend to let you borrow his.

Have you bought your copy off someone? Is it original? If so, you can ask for replacement or refund.

Oh!
    Right, another option: Borrow the disc off your friend for a while, install the game, patch it to 1.09 and then get a NoCD crack for it. This will eat up approximately 600 MB off your HDD, so remember that I warned about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the_fifth_horseman
    Do you know any person who has such a drive and could make you a copy of this game? If so, do that. If no, you're screwed, unless you can convince your friend to let you borrow his.
    The person I borrowed this from has a really good computer, so I'm pretty sure he has one.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_fifth-horseman
    Have you bought your copy off someone? Is it original? If so, you can ask for replacement or refund.
    I got it in a rummage sale for $2 and the disk doesn't look that bad. It was only $2 so it doesn't matter too much
    Quote Originally Posted by the_fifth_horseman
    Oh!
    Right, another option: Borrow the disc off your friend for a while, install the game, patch it to 1.09 and then get a NoCD crack for it. This will eat up approximately 600 MB off your HDD, so remember that I warned about that.
    What? I kind of figure that your saying to save the game to my hard drive, but I have no I idea what any of that means. I have a little under 2 gigs of Hard drive space left, and that probably will slow my computer down a lot(if you haven't noticed yet, my computer is really bad), so I probably don't want to do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

85 (x4)

What? I kind of figure that your saying to save the game to my hard drive,
    Sort of...
    but I have no I idea what any of that means. I have a little under 2 gigs of Hard drive space left,
    That's more then enough. As I said, the game needs approx 600 MB, ie 0,6 GB of space.
    and that probably will slow my computer down a lot
    Sigh. Green as grass. The speed of your computer has almost nothing to do with the amount of free space left on your hard drive. As a bonus, the game loads much faster from hard drive then from a CD-ROM.
    (if you haven't noticed yet, my computer is really bad),
    Let me guess, 100-Mhz 486?
    so I probably don't want to do that.
    Suit yourself. I only shown you a possible solution.

If you reconsider your decision, here is the exact procedure:
    1. Install the game.
    2. Get and install patch 1.09 for the game.
    3. Get a NoCD crack for version 1.09. IIRC, it needs the diabdat.mpq to be copied into the game directory first. Apply.

This will let you run the game straight from your hard drive.

+ Reply to Thread