Librarium Online Forums banner

my video card delimma

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Corianis 
#1 ·
ok guys im a computer nerd in training and im haveing a tough time with video cards

this is my question

should i buy an e-vega ge-force 6800GT for $330.00

or

xfx Ge-force 6600 for $159.00

i currently have

amd 64 3500+ cpu

ABIT AX8 mother board

western digital 120 gig 7200 rpm hdd

1.5 gigs ddr

im running windows xp pro x64 edition

i am an avid online gamer and love to play mmorpg's i want something that will be able to handle large environments but dont like a high price.

this is my first true scratch build so im a little shakey on some things but any input would be a help thanks. :cool:

jesse

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
WofWarcraft and Planetside both support all GeForce 6 series cards.
You may need to update your drivers though (do it anyway).
If you google "[insert game name here]" "Video Card", you can find out whether other games are supported.

In my experience, lag is usually caused by the connection or the server.

AGP is slightly better than PCI, but not enough to worry about. [highlight]For more info.[/highlight]

#5 · (Edited)
Corianis said:
AGP is slightly better than PCI, but not enough to worry about. [highlight]For more info.[/highlight]
You know that he probably means PCIe and not PCI, also, that article is ages old, newer AGP versions are much better than that article shows.

And if you got a new pc and don't have AGP slots it's probably PCIe, which ofcourse is a bit better than AGP.

But, buy a cheaper PCIe card, because the technology is quite new and there will be much better cards for it verry soon, if you still have a hard time to choose visit Tom's Hardware Guides PCIe VGA Chart

BTW, forgot to add that I have no problems running WoW on my AMD A64 3400+, 1 gig ram, and a GeForce 4 MX (yes, I know the gfx sucks but the new one was broken and I am still waiting on another one). As a note, I have alot of programs running in the back, including Winamp with a massive amount of mp3s loaded too.
So I belive your problem would be the connection.

#7 ·
Its a new build my wife has been nice enough to let me spend 1500 on a new comp and i want it to fly. my connection is fine i dont game online with my new build but i do with my old gateway it lags really bad but i have a dsl connection so im guessin my old comp just sucks.
i was kinda shocked when i couldent find an agp slot and yes it is PCIe i am just leary of PCI cards agp was tried and true PCI not so much.

#8 ·
mpswagnuts said:
Its a new build my wife has been nice enough to let me spend 1500 on a new comp and i want it to fly. my connection is fine i dont game online with my new build but i do with my old gateway it lags really bad but i have a dsl connection so im guessin my old comp just sucks.
i was kinda shocked when i couldent find an agp slot and yes it is PCIe i am just leary of PCI cards agp was tried and true PCI not so much.

Btw, I notice that you don't mention you're gfx in your first post, so what are you using now, an onboard card? Because then the gfx is probably the reason why it lag as they tend to suck.
Otherwise it's strange that it lags on your pc and not mine if you got a good dsl connection.

#9 ·
im useing on board on my current comp its a gateway bleh

the video card is going in my new build i dont use it for games yet because i want it to be all in one piece before i use it

#10 ·
PCI was tried even more, mind you. It dates years before AGP came into existence, and PCIe is simply an improvement over original PCI, improving transfer speed.

If buying the more expensive card would still fit in your budget and you don't need any other components (like DVD drive or recorder etc), then I say go for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.