My Annoyance with dow: exp - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -52 (x0)

My Annoyance with dow: exp

Ok guys... maybe someone can help me.

I am now the jaded owner of DOW: WA. The reasons I say jaded are multiple and listed below. I am not happy, and although Im not returning it because I want to play, I would like any assistance you guys can give.

1. Autorun File doesnt work: When I first put the game in, it wouldnt autorun, I had to open the CD files and try to run the updater.

2. I own my own copy of DOW... I hate having to waste the DVDROM drive on my computer, so I put in a no CD krack, just to be able to play without the CD. MY gf really liked the eldar, and I lent her the game, she has my original DOW cds. She had to send them to me because it wants me to reinstall everything.

3. I have never picked up a patch or an update, I dont play online, I simply enjoy the CPU competition, the game wants me to pick up the patches, when I tried, it wouldnt let me go past 1.01 update.

4. I want to play, I paid my 30 bucks, and I feel rather betrayed by THQ and Relic in the sense that I cannot get the game to work until my DOW Cds arrive in the mail. They should be here te 28th of sept.

If you guys could please help me out here I want to know the following:

1. My comp is a 3.0 GHZ Hyperthreader, 1 Gb SDram, 256 MB Graphics card of the Radeon Variety, DOW runs flawlessly, with 8 opponents. I KNOW my machine is not the problem.

2. I own the game, I have my own CD key in my registry, Im getting them sent to me and hopefully this will fix the problems, I want to know why my decision to not mess up my drives, and relieve annoyance by not using a CD makes it hard for my to install the game that I bought like last year.

3. I want to know why these updates are so friggin important. what is wrong with DOW vanilla? The only update I managed to install was 1.01 and the rest wanted me to reinstall. What is the f'n deal here? Why do some of these updates give me only a paltry command change or someting completely inane that has not a modicum of purpose?

4. Once I get my CD's in the mail, will I be able to fix these problems and enjoy imperial guard goodness?

Id greatly appreciate the answers to my questions, and any info you can relate towards these issues and problems as soon as possible. Please advise.

"Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you're in favor of free speech, then you're in favor of freedom of speech precisely for views you despise. Otherwise, you're not in favor of free speech."
    youve been legal pwned

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

gamesondemand

with DoW: WA you should recieve the latest update in it. there should be no reason to go online to update, as installing WA means you installed the latest update. the updates are to fix minor things like overpowered units and such along with visual things. in the 1.4 patch now there is a cool graphic for the placement of the orbital bombardment and other such powers used by hero units. it looks much better than the little squarish one that had been before. also, the title screen has a couple of visual upgrades. they are minor things for the most part, but things that give the game a better feel, and should be used to their fullest. as for the autorun file not working does it usually work when you put cds in to your drive? or is that the case with all of your cds? for my computer autorun has been turned off for who knows what reason, but i know that and know what to do after i put a cd in. oh and the coding for the no cd file may have been expired after you got an update. there is usually a new no cd patch for every update, so just try to get each one for every update, seeing as how you don't have any updates except the first one. that might solve your no cd issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

Well, while I'm not completely satisfied with the expansion, I have noticed a glitch.

When you grab a bunch of units on the map, if you press -tab-, you can cycle through them. This makes reinforcing, weapon upgrading, or using grenades and abilities a little easier to do.

If you press -shift + tab-, you cycle backwards through your current selection.

Now, for some reason, when I press -shift + tab- my hud disappears (mini map, unit selection area, action selection area, req/pow/pop numbers area, and menu controls area). The only thing visible is the game action.
    When I press -shift + tab- again, everything comes back, but it says 'GAME PAUSED' in big white letters in the middle of the play area. It's very annoying and gets in the way. Plus, I can't find a way to get rid of it during multiplayer games.

I noticed it only started doing this after I downloaded Dawn of Steel (the Steel Legion mod for DoW).

Does anyone know of a shortcut pause command that may have been kicked on when the mod was downloaded that I could switch? Or am I just gonna hafta unistall WA and try again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -52 (x0)

well, I finally got it to work on my laptop, i think my desktop has programs like alc on it and the game doesnt like it so ill have to fix it this weekend.
    My thoughts: the guard is a tough army, very well rounded and I loved seeing my hapless footsliggers fight it out on the screen, i do thing its humerous that the ogryns fight like apes. The commissar has an air of superiority and quite the character when he sentences someone to death. I think the priest and psyks do a great deal to add character to the army, athough i havent seen one pop into dust yet. I like the bane blade, it held the whole right flank of my line against a hard eldar CPU opponent. I tried chaos as well, im disappointed with the bezerkers, they got their asses kicked by a kasrykin sqad
    "Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you're in favor of free speech, then you're in favor of freedom of speech precisely for views you despise. Otherwise, you're not in favor of free speech."
    youve been legal pwned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

I don't know about your issues. I installed it today, and didn't have to deal with my original DoW CDs one bit. I'll bet that the crack you installed made the game look like it was corrupted to the expansion. That's the price you pay for convenience. I won't lecture on the moral issues of it.

I sort of like the IG now. Just the horde of lasguns going off delights me. Have yet to play too far with them. Not quite sure what I think of the command squad yet - not sure the bonuses to having Priests versus Commisars and that such.

Give the beserkers another chance. Karskin are very tough - but beserkers are tougher. They just need to get into CC first. I played against three hard opponents in a skirmish, and walked the entire map with eight squads of beserkers. They absolutely mauled everything they came across - infantry and vehicles alike.

I'm almost inclined to think that they're bugged at the moment - the amount of damage they put out, even with the paltry bolt pistols, is just amazing.

Anyone else notice the glitch where groups will sometimes drop their group assignments for no reason? One minute I'll have six members in group 1, then I'll have five and need to readd the sixth.

+ Reply to Thread