Advice for buying a laptop - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Advice for buying a laptop

Hi Guys
    I am starting postgraduate studies in November and I was going to invest in a laptop. The only problem is, I don't know a whole lot about computers and laptops in general. I am seriously thinking about getting a Powerbook from apple as the whole look of them appeals to me. The only problem is that everyone else at work will be using windows operating systems and mainly dell computers. Are microsoft and apple operating systems compatable, will I be able to transfer files and the like to my work mates.

Also any tips on what type of laptop to get would be greatly appreciated. My limit would be around 2000euro. What should I be looking out for............

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

well, don't know much about apples' tomfoolery, but general points of advice regarding notebooks are;
    1. most important point, don't overbuy. If you're never gonna play Doom6 on amillion X amillion screen resolution, don't get that uber duper fast pc. The less fancy it is, the longer the battery will last, which is a main concern regarding laptops.

2. Make sure it's got a integrated network card, and a integrated wireless card (preferably also built-in bluetooth). Those things are a pain in the you-know-what when you have to use addon cards.

3. a decent harddrive is ok, as you won't wanna lug around a huge external harddrive just to get your mp3/ogg/flac files with you (and yes, I left wma out, and so should you)

4. Google around for tests for it, people have already experiences with it, some place or other. Maybe this particular brand is exceptionally prone to scratches, or chips off plastic easily. Maybe that one has a HUGE over the top, noisy fan (mine do ). Better to learn from mistakes as long as their someone elses, hehe

5. eh..well, that's what I can think of as of right now. Also, if you're adventurous, try Linux. saves you a few bucks as well...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by chemicalcaveman
    What should I be looking out for............
    That shouldn't be your first question.

No offense.

Your first question should be...'What am I going to use this laptop for?

Once you get an understanding of what types of applications you plan on using you can ask the next question which is of course the one I quoted you asking.

Then you can figure out how much computer to buy.

As far as the difference between apples and micro's, well I was personally swayed by the types of application 'I' wanted to run, namely games. There is a very limited selection of games that get made for apple so I turned to IBM compatibles. Plus IBM comp's have the largest market share which lends itself to a larger compatability.

Just my 2 cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x5)

I only have my own experiences to go by, and they are that PCs tend to not last too long, whereas I had an Apple that lasted from 1995 to 2005 without glitching ONCE. Then it suddenly died.

Every PC I have ever owned, even brand new ones, have been prone to problems and not one has lasted over 3 years. I think this is due to a number of factors:
    1: Apple computers do not have user-serviceable parts. They are sealed up and quite difficult to open without the proper tools. This means that....

2: People who think they know what they are doing but don't can't open them. I have found that EVERYONE (including me I hate to admit) thinks they know about PC's and will happily open them up and jiggle around with them inside, adding new bits, souping them up etc. I'm not saying this is necessarily wrong, just that from my own observation it tends to shorten the life of the machine.

I don't know about laptops. My girlfriend had a Windows laptop which lasted about 3 years. Her dad works for IBM and when it died a couple of months back she gave it to her dad to fix. He came back and said "I gave it to the tech guys and they said 3 years is about as long as these things usually last. Sorry." From this I think they might be similar to the desktops.

Long story short, for whatever reason Macs last longer. They also cost more, probably BECAUSE they last longer.

Other people's experiences may be different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Thanks for the help guys. Well, I am not getting the laptop to be a gaming machine, as I said I will be getting it for my postgraduate studies, so the main use will be with office type programs, powerpoint and protein viewing programs.
    @robnitik: people I have asked have said that to me before, that apple computers don't have as much problems as others but when they go, they go big.........
    Once again thanks guys, anyone else got any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

I had a PC that lasted for 10 years - until, when a newly installed motherboard died, I messed up the ATE power cables when reinstalling the old one. Such a shame, the thing was really cutting edge among its kind.

As for buying a laptop... well, don't go overboard is the first thing to remember. Myself I am also going to buy a laptop shortly, but I think I'll just go for a used one, since I don't need too beefed up parameters for Win98, standard Office-like software and a few (very) oldish games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

137 (x3)

Well, since you aren't going to be running any high end applications like games or photoshop I would recommend just a 'bare bones' type laptop.

Maybe just a slightly larger than normal hardrive since it's better to have too much space than to have too little space.

Here is a link to Macworld they can give you more info on apple powered comps:

http://www.macworld.com/2005/02/revi...4rev/index.php

And here's another link to Notebookreviews.com:

http://www.notebookreview.com/

I never make a decision about buying new technology without getting reviews of it from people that have already bought it.

Good luck! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

As for Powerbooks, the head developer of the Xbox 360 (the guy with no hair), who is near the top of Microsoft, uses a 17" Apple Powerbook.

I would reccomend a 15" Powerbook G4 with Superdrive, which goes at about 1,700 euros. I would also reccomend Office:Mac and Virtual PC 7 so that you can have complete compatability with Windows software, and you can use programs that you are probably used to using, like Powerpoint and Word.

It also has a great Internet program (Safari) which utilizes Tabs and other little treats that make surfing the net a breeze.

Being a Mac user, the only problems I've had are
    A: Less games, though I have Xbox so I don't care, and why should I spend over a thousand bucks to play videogames
    B: And I hate this the most, a few months after buying the computer, Apple will usually release something a lot better for cheaper , and you will feel frustrated.
    C: My brother, who hogs the computer so much I can barely get on (but he was recently grounded, so I've been on a lot more).

Here's something cool: If you drop your powerbook, it can sense that it is falling and shut off the hard drive to save Data before it crashes into the ground.

If you are transitioning from Windows to Mac, I would suggest going into the System Preferences program and increasing the mouse sensitivity, because it is significantly less sensitive on Macs than on PCs.

I would also suggest getting a mouse. Although the Powerbook track pad is of ingenious design (drag 2 fingers to scroll), a mouse is still more reliable. Apple has recently introduced the "Mighty mouse," which is the first 2-button mac mouse, and is touch sensitive. Here's a link to it:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....0.1.1.0.1.0.3

Apples are fantastic at programs that are visual-focused, like Photoshop and Final Cut. The screens are just wonderful and are easy on your eyes.

On a final note, Apple computers, like all Apple products, just look freakin sexy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

171 (x6)

Well, as a previous laptop owner I have this advice about buying a laptop computer: Don't.

Unless you have oodles of money leaking out of every orifice, or at least have a large chunk of disposable income every month, then a laptop is a bad bad investment.

First off, laptops that can come anywhere near competing with the computing power of a desktop will cost on average 3 to 4 times more than the desktop version. This means that for the same price as a current power desktop, you will be buying a year old machine in terms of speed. Buying a machine that is already a year behind current market standards is not very good. So be prepared to dump lots of money if you want your laptop to be useable two years from now.

Second, laptops are a pain in the royal ass to upgrade. You have to know a good bit about hardware to not F it up and even then they are only upgradeable to a very small extent. Desktops on the other hand are quite easy to upgrade, even for a hardware noob.

Laptops in my opinion, should be issued to you by whatever company you work for, if it's a necessary component of your job. As a grad student, there really is no need to have a laptop other than to look cool at the local coffee shop studying on an overly expensive machine that could be put into your next semesters tuition.

When you have that grad degree in hand and go to your next corporate job, then they will probably issue you a laptop, like they do for my dad every 6 months. He gets a new laptop every six months to take wherever he travels so that he can show his clients the latest designs for whatever he's working on... blah blah.

My last bit of advice: Apple is crap. Apple is crap. Apple is crap. Keep repeating this mantra to yourself so that you don't make the mistake of buying an Apple computer. Now this doesn't mean that Apple computers aren't good running computers, but they have nowhere near the range of applications that Windows machines have. Apple computers are quite literally crap because you can't do half the stuff with them that you can do with a Windows machine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by chemicalcaveman
    Hi Guys
    Are microsoft and apple operating systems compatable, will I be able to transfer files and the like to my work mates.
    Yes. And if you get Virtual PC 7 and Office:Mac, there isn't a thing you can't do on your Apple that you can do on a Windows machine.
    Even without Virtual PC and Office:Mac, you can export files as Windows applications like Word from programs like Appleworks.

Second, laptops are a pain in the royal ass to upgrade. You have to know a good bit about hardware to not F it up and even then they are only upgradeable to a very small extent. Desktops on the other hand are quite easy to upgrade, even for a hardware noob.
    Another benefit of Apple computers. You don't even need to upgrade them (the only thing that I ever upgrade is RAM, which is very accessible even on Apple systems).

Laptops in my opinion, should be issued to you by whatever company you work for, if it's a necessary component of your job. As a grad student, there really is no need to have a laptop other than to look cool at the local coffee shop studying on an overly expensive machine that could be put into your next semesters tuition.
    Yeah, colleges and the like should supply you with all your supplies. The only colleges / grad schools that do give you your stuff cost about 35k euros a year.

If you need a cheaper computer than a Powerbook and are willing to shed about .25 GHz, go for an iBook. A lot of college students and teachers use them, and sometimes Apple will throw in a free iPod or iPod mini (now iPod Nano).

My last bit of advice: Apple is crap. Apple is crap. Apple is crap. Keep repeating this mantra to yourself so that you don't make the mistake of buying an Apple computer. Now this doesn't mean that Apple computers aren't good running computers, but they have nowhere near the range of applications that Windows machines have. Apple computers are quite literally crap because you can't do half the stuff with them that you can do with a Windows machine.
    Yeah, well, you know what they say, agree to disagree. On this matter, you should ask someone who uses both Windows and Apple computers for their opinions, because Apple users and Windows users will always oppose each other.

I would suggest NOT getting a used powerbook. Before 2003, Powerbooks would get screen errors like lines and dots after a few years of use, and my best friend, whose dad gave him his old Powerbook, has 3 vertical lines on his laptop screen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast