online gaming - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: online gaming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

online gaming

does anyone play online games like dawn of war or lord of rings.
    Everytime i seem to play its simply a contest of who can build the army fastest and rush across the screen and beat your opponent senseless, they are called stratedgy for a reason. It just annoys me at times that i go on for a decent game and its over in ten minutes, either ive lost (9 times out of 19) or ive won. Nearly every time its the same thing.
    just seems a giant waste of time going on there in the first place when its just like watching the same thing over and over

Quote Originally Posted by artificer
    The quote is "in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war",
    NOT "in the grim darkness of the far future, there are these little, fat, drunken goits with beards!"
    WELL SAID, NO MORE SQUATS THEY ARE DEAD GET OVER IT

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

I just to online game quite a lot, and I did do so again for a period of time a few months back, but now I've jsut lost interest in it, and would rather do other things.

One of the things that get me is the cheating that can happen, with the like of Hax and trainers. :/

So I don't tend to play Online games that often these days, though I might start playing again a lot more someday.
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

Although they call them Real Time Strategy games, there isn't really any strategy about them because in the end, macromanagement is a superior strategy to all others and no amount of tactics will help you beat an army that outnumbers you 10:1. That's why the only thing you can really do is beat someone at their own game, but if you want something really strategic/tactical, then it's likely you'll have more luck in turn-based strategy games like the Heroes of Might and Magic series. Otherwise, there's not much I can help you with regarding playing these kinds of games online - it doesn't matter what you play, twitch reflexes are always going to be a part of it if it is realtime. Ultimately it's not down to any kind of skill at all but who has the fastest hands and the fastest brain to match.

My advice? Try and find alternatives to normal skirmish games, like a popular mod that everyone plays online. It's very difficult to find for some games but things like Defense of the Ancients in Warcraft III require a lot of thought and skill (in addition to a fair amount of twitch reflexes).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by cadre_of_storms
    does anyone play online games like dawn of war or lord of rings.
    Here's your problem right here.
    Don't get me wrong, DoW is a great game for GW fans, but as a RTS game, it sucks.
    Pickup Starcraft, or even better, Warcraft III for some real strategy gaming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

264 (x6)

Well, what other tactics did Starcraft have that are different from other RTS games today? I'm not trying to lambast Starcraft here, but really, it was still all about how many units you could build in a certain amount of time and once everyone had massive armies, THEN it was how you handled them that was important. The same is true with the majority of RTS games when played online.

Photon Creep was fun...but it was a gimmick as far as I'm concerned. Zergling rushes? We still have those. Seige tank surprise? Well, we don't have anything that destructive anymore, sadly.

Not to mention that Warcraft 3 and Starcraft have the same basic weakness in terms of the fact that victory is also determined by who grabs the most gold mines and, failing at that, who kills the other guy's peasants the most. I feel DoW has a great leveller in that respect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NiteRabbit
    Well, what other tactics did Starcraft have that are different from other RTS games today? I'm not trying to lambast Starcraft here, but really, it was still all about how many units you could build in a certain amount of time and once everyone had massive armies, THEN it was how you handled them that was important. The same is true with the majority of RTS games when played online.

Photon Creep was fun...but it was a gimmick as far as I'm concerned. Zergling rushes? We still have those. Seige tank surprise? Well, we don't have anything that destructive anymore, sadly.

Not to mention that Warcraft 3 and Starcraft have the same basic weakness in terms of the fact that victory is also determined by who grabs the most gold mines and, failing at that, who kills the other guy's peasants the most. I feel DoW has a great leveller in that respect.
    Actually you are wrong totally.

What game is has been on World Cyber Gaming for years, up to this date? Starcraft.

Difference between starcraft and other RTS.

What stratedgy difference? Micro-management, unit balance and tactics.

You play with casual gamers, if you want to experience more, trying hooking up with some Korean run games They show you some real stratedgy. In fact they have pro starcraft players, tournaments and television channels dedicated to it.

When you start actually playing like the non-american or standard bnet way (which is horde horde horde) you find that winning is not determined only by mass gold mines, or larger armies, its actually the use of the units.

Watching many VODs (Video recordings) of starcraft gaming, you can easily see the one who micros more correctly can turn the tables around and win even against a money monster.

Just my 2 cents.

Koreans are gosu.

Taking Gaming to the Next Level. Check us out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

I play online games quite a bit, although sense the school year has started I can pretty much only play on weekeneds.

I mostly play Final Fantasy XI Online, which is a MMORPG (massivly multiplayer online role playing game).

I do however occasionlly play Americas Army, a online FPS (first person shooteR), and Warcraft III, a online RTS (real time strategy).

Ben

+ Reply to Thread