Nite's Legion of Everblight Blog - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

Nite's Legion of Everblight Blog

Hiya all,

So I finally decided on an army that I like - one that matches my aesthetic tastes and has great fluff while still being a respectable force on the tabletop. Simply put, the Legion of Everblight is the perfect army for me. This thread is where I will post all of my Hordes-related shenanigans for the amusement of onlookers, from painting to upgrading to tactical musings on the games that I play. Without further ado, I present the first entry!

*breaks inaugural wine bottle*

23/10/2007

Today I finally got to play my first game of Hordes against one of Librarium Online's very own, a consummate Space Marine general and painter extraordinaire. My opponent was the Circle of Oroboros and we were both using our respective Factions' warpacks, meaning Kaya, two Argus' and a Warpwolf to match my four Shredders, Lylyth, and a Carnivean. I'm pretty terrible with the specifics on how the battle went, though much of it was trying to figure out a good way to mark my warbeasts' damage (something my opponent seemed to have figured out quicker than I did).

Turn 1 Highlights: Forced my warbeasts to run forward, except for my Carnivean who moved into a forest. One Shredder promptly frenzied and, due to his Adelphophagy special rule, attacked his buddy. Fortunately he did no damage, but I was not pleased. The Circle was significantly more cautious about forcing its warbeasts forward.

Turn 2 Highlights: Another Shredder frenzied and attacked his buddy. Fortunately, no damage was dealt this turn due to the fact that the charge didn't really come from that far away. The Circle advanced patiently.

Turn 3 Highlights: I finally pass all my frenzy checks! Yay! At this point, I decide to stop upkeeping Taint, which I have been casting on Lylyth in order to leech the Fury off my Shredders from running. One Argus walks up and attempts to bark at Lylyth, who has moved to the edge of the forest by this point. It hits but fails to do anything, really...

Turn 4 Highlights: A Shredder charges another one in the side and causes catastrophic damage. His buddy his still alive, though... My Carnivean charged at the Argus and ate it while Lylyth attempted to shoot the other one. I forgot that she has two shots. Silly me. The Carnivean receives minor wounds for his trouble.

Turn 5 Highlights: Another Shredder frenzies and attacks an uninjured one, dealing minor wounds to him. He is otherwise fine and the turn continues, with my Shredders moving into position to take advantage of their Pack Mentality rule. The Argus gets Spirit Door-ed away while the Warpwolf charges my Carnivean, dealing plenty of damage to him. I start to get worried.

Turn 6 Highlights: I have to move the Shredders into position so the poor Carnivean is on his own, with his Mind branch knocked out, and frenzies, charging at the newly returned Argus, whom he cannot hit. Lylyth takes a pot shot at the Warpwolf while healing the Carnivean's Mind branch. The Shredders may have charged around this time but I forgot to take advantage of their Pack Mentality and boosted their rolls in conjunction with Fields of Slaughter to kill that blasted beast.

Turn 7 Highlights: By this time, the Warpwolf has a fair bit of fury on it. It gets Spirit Door-ed away and Kaya uses her feat to get back 8 Fury (I kept calling it Focus), healing the Warpwolf. I am now scared.

Turn 8 Highlights: The Warpwolf's attack on my Carnivean is less than stellar, knocking out the Mind and Spirit branches but failing to kill it outright. Kaya attempts to whack a Shredder, for a laugh, but does nothing. I attempt to assassinate Kaya but her Defense is higher than even Lylyth's RAT can handle and I end up having to boost attacks. I finally remember that she gets two shots with her bow and end up doing 10 damage. My one Shredder fails to assassinate Kaya. As for the Carnivean, I healed its two dead branches and pummelled the Warpwolf. In the ensuing turns, I killed off the last Argus and my opponent conceded.

Tactical Analysis:

I suck at Hordes.

Just kidding.

But seriously, I found that a lot of what my models did was beyond my control but that's probably because I kept failing frenzy tests. Lylyth met all of my expectations of an archer-type Warlock and her low Fury stat doesn't really bother me that much. When it was revealed that the Warpwolf has a few brutal Animi it could have used, I was shocked and they really could've turned the tide of the game. Or not, I would probably have just kept the beatdown going. I can't help but wonder how much better I could've done if I'd known all of the rules from the outset - we wasted a lot of time looking them up. I'm also not sure about the usefulness of Shredders as they just seemed to keep charging each other all the time, but I suppose they're cheap as chips and fit the Legion's theme quite well, I'll be using them a fair bit in the foreseeable future. Just bought some PVA glue and based them, now I have to get to painting.

24/10/2007

Yesterday was my first battle and today was the first upgrade to my army. I went down to the shop and purchased a box of Blighted Swordsmen. The models look decent and they have Weapon Master, which is always nice. I'd like to test them out in a game eventually and see how good they are on paper. They're like cheaper, less resilient Shredders!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Hahahah, 'consumate'...

Ahem.
    Anyway, been doing some rules-reading, and should be much better equipped for next time.

For example, you only need to take Frenzy/Threshold checks if you have any Fury on the model after you're done Leaching...

I'll get you next time *shakes fist*

-t.

PS. I'll bring along a bunch of slip-cases for the cards on tuesday, that way you won't have to resort to your dubious 'dice' method... ^_-
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Lol. The Frenzy rules can be good to remember, especialy WHEN you are supposed to test for it!
    But it sounds like you had a good game otherwise. Keep the reports coming!

Oh and paint! Paint!! (I'm looking at both of you!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

Turn phase:
    effects end
    leach
    frenzy
    upkeep

then you do your actions/activations

So if you forced your shredders to run, they wouldn't test until next turn, and then, only if they had fury left on them after you chose to leach.

So with 4 shredders and lylith and a carni, you can run all 5 warbeasts, (5 fury total), have lylith cast spells/animi, discard any unused fury,and advance (in any order there unless you want to attack with the bow in melee or ranged, then that must be done before movement normally, but bushwhack allows you to do this before if you choose).
    next turn, pull (leach) all 5 fury from the beasts, since theirs no fury on them, they don't take threshold checks, upkeep anything you want, and start it all over again=)

Remember too, that frenzy isn't so bad on somethings. 2 shredders, placed back to back after running, with thier forward arc including your targets will allow you to get a free boosted attack and damage roll when they do freek out next turn, and since they can't see each other, they can't attack each other either=)

Allowing your beasts to frenzy isn't bad, but remember you can't force for extra attacks, and you can't transfer damage to them that turn. Just beware of their facing and what they may end up going after. putting your caster in between to block charge lanes and attacks works, since only one of our beasts can attack our caster.

edit, and as for marking, yeah, card slip covers are AWESOME-I prefer if my opponents mark the way I do, with a number above each branch too, so that if the card slides a little... Or you can use the excel spreadsheets ot the print up form from armies of Immodean (sp?), both work very well too.

Oh, and a couple of other things-taking more than one shot with ranged attacks (up to the amount allowed by RoF)-each attack costs another fury point, so lyltih could shoot once for free, but her second shot would cost 1 fury. Meaning she can shoot 2 times a turn, with double boosts if she hits 9boost to hit, and boost damage).
    Activation-you can activate in any order you wish, so you can activate your caster to heal your beasts, then activate your "whole" beast, that now has all branches restored, and go wallop something.

A great tip for shredders is if you go rabid, they auto boost to hits and damage. plus, they get the 2" extra movement that then ignores terrain. So advance them, chomp mat5 boosted to hit, pow+S 10 + boosted (3d6) on damage, and you still have a fury that you can save (if you need to transfer to it), can cast it's animus, or buy another double boosted attack.
    4 shredders going to work on something, all with rabid, means 5 fury base, and +4 on rolls for the last attacks (if your target still isn't dead). 10 boosted mat 5 pow 10+ is nothing to scoff at=)

And if you can advance and get the attacks in, you are better off doing that, then charging in (for warbeasts), since the charge costs one fury that gives you a free boosted damage, but only if you hit. Now, if you need the extra movement, it's useful. that said, remember that you can't use an animus if you run (so you can't run if you used an animus), but you can animus, and declare a charge against a model you can't reach (say first turn with your carnivean, spiney gowth, then charge for a move of 9" and 3 fury on it, with an awesome arm).

All tricks that take a few games to learn.

As for the swrodsmen, good luck to you. Since they are fearless, they have some great advantages, and since they are weaponmasters, they get 4d6 on the charge (boosted plus additional die, since you can never boost a boosted attack(can't boost damage for a beast on a charge for 4d6)).

Archers are great too. And raptors are just down right obscene. mat 8/9 on the 12"charge, which is pow 10+4d6, mat 6/7 on 10+3d6, then a pow 12+2d6, then a 9" move. Or double tap at rat 7/8 9aiming bonus), then move 9", or run 18" (with no attacks), or move 9"-shoot-move back. Oh, and all their moves ignore free strikes! Just mean=)
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

979 (x8)

Nite-y learned a *very* important lesson today.
    Don't expose your 'lock to a head on charge by an angry Warpwolf in turn 2.

Fortunately we decided to play on, imagining I hadn't boosted for the extra attack that killed her...

After that I got rather spanked about, due to being hugely over-exposed and (again) trying out a bunch of random stuff.
    I am not hugely sold on my Arguses.
    One seems like it's potentially nice (especially barking at downed models), but I think 2 isn't such a good deal.

I will let NR do a proper write up, but I learned a lot of stuff that didn't come up in the first game, and will be re-reading the rules again after posting...

-t.
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

264 (x6)

30/10/2007

I played my second game of Hordes today against minus_t (this is going to become a regular fixture on this blog, I have a feeling...) and I was rather anxious to test out the Blighted Swordsmen that I had gotten. Unfortunately, all did not go to plan. The battle was between the Circle's warpack of a Warpwolf, two Argus' and Kaya vs. Lylyth, a Carnivean, two Shredders, and six Blighted Swordsmen.

The table was fairly flat with a group of hedges arranged in a diamond in the center and forests in the corners. Not the most interesting table in the world, but if you think about it, we're playing the two factions in Hordes to which most terrain has no real meaning.

Turn 1: I march forward, deploying the Shredders and Carnivean to the right while my Blighted Swordsmen make up the left flank. The Swordsmen run. The Circle follows suite.

Turn 2: The Shredders run and vault across the hedges to the north, as does the Carnivean while the Blighted Swordsmen advance closer. Lylyth moves forward and shoots an Argus, before Witch Marking an Eruption of Spines and hitting everyone for some damage. This turns out to be a mistake as the Warpwolf and an Argus charge and beat down Lylyth (I misinterpreted the big bas****'s charge range). She would have died if the Warpwolf had not then been Spirit Door-ed away.

From this point on, the scenario is a "what-if" played as if I hadn't been killed on the 2nd turn.

Turn 3: The Blighted Swordsmen move into position to charge the Warpwolf and the Carnivean moves up with the intention to support them. The one Argus that would have charged Lylyth, had he actually been in range, falls to a rabid Shredder. I shunt all of the damage from Lylyth onto another Shredder, killing it (we were a bit hazy on the rules for that but for the record, it was an illegal move). The other Argus walks up and nails my Carnivean, pinning it in place. I breathe on it, boosting the shot, but do nothing. Kaya casts that rampage-y type spell on the Warpwolf and it tears apart my Vassal, though it only manages to kill one of the other Swordsmen with its extra attacks.

Turn 4: My charge having been foiled by a surprise attack from the Warpwolf and my Carnivean being pinned in place, I have no choice but to encircle the Warpwolf and beat it down with a rabid Shredder and four Blighted Swordsmen, which they do quite well. Lylyth essentially does nothing for the whole turn. The Carnivean breathes on the Argus again with much better results (he was pinned again by that bloody barking dog) and causes it to flee. He fails his command check and runs off the board. The Warpwolf is at maximum fury, which Kaya then leaches and pops her feat. The Warpwolf turns and charges Lylyth again (I didn't think he could make it!) but fortunately does not do enough damage to kill her.

Turn 5: My Carnivean charges the Warpwolf in the rear and...well...let's just say that he died and leave it at that. My Shredder goes rabid and charges Kaya, with my Blighted Swordsmen following up for the killing blow.

Tactical Analysis:

I really suck at Hordes.

But seriously, that game was over before it really began, but I still claim a moral victory for playing by the Page 5 philosophy. If I had been using the muscles that really mattered, I would have had Lylyth arc arrows over the Carnivean and then witch mark Eruption of Spines to do damage, not necessarily to all of the enemies but at least some of them. The fact that my Carnivean was pinned in place and my Blighted Swordsmen didn't really get the charge didn't help either, so they weren't really being used to their full potential. I will need to practice some more. I've come to the conclusion at this point that despite all of their special powers, the Circle's heavy warbeast in Primal are simply not built as well as a Carnivean. They definitely have hidden strengths but the Legion's premiere heavy warbeast is a simple and effective beatstick. I did feel I managed to make effective use of Lylyth's Blood Lure at some points during this game, which makes me happy.

I manage to take a peek at both Hordes Primal and Evolution and am absolutely in love with some of the units, so my next purchase options will be:

- Nephilim Soldiers (If I can somehow enlarge those greatswords)
    - Nyss Striders
    - Nyss Raptors
    - Blighted Archers and Unit Attachment
    - Angelius (Very unlikely, I'd need to find a way to use them first)
    - Harriers (Although nothing quite beats a charging, rabid Shredder, supported by Lylyth arcing two boosted shots or even Witch Marking Bad Blood or Eruption of Spines)
    - Forsaken
    - Incubi

There are so many tempting choices and so few points. After I get a Grand Melee force up and running, I intend to build an apocalypse level army and challenge a few of the other Warmachine/Hordes players using Rhyas and Saeryn. They're a pretty brutal team.

Special thanks to minus_t for not making a complete fool out of me in this game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Well, at least you can only go up and onwards from this, yeah? You'll get him next time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by NiteRabbit View Post
    I manage to take a peek at both Hordes Primal and Evolution and am absolutely in love with some of the units, so my next purchase options will be:

- Nephilim Soldiers (If I can somehow enlarge those greatswords)
    - Nyss Striders
    - Nyss Raptors
    - Blighted Archers and Unit Attachment
    - Angelius (Very unlikely, I'd need to find a way to use them first)
    - Harriers (Although nothing quite beats a charging, rabid Shredder, supported by Lylyth arcing two boosted shots or even Witch Marking Bad Blood or Eruption of Spines)
    - Forsaken
    - Incubi

There are so many tempting choices and so few points. After I get a Grand Melee force up and running, I intend to build an apocalypse level army and challenge a few of the other Warmachine/Hordes players using Rhyas and Saeryn. They're a pretty brutal team.

Special thanks to minus_t for not making a complete fool out of me in this game
    The archers are great, and the raptors are obscene! Forsaken are necessary, particularly if you run lylyth, as they'll help you deal with early game fury.

Incubi, when they are released, will fit your swordsmen really well=)

My suggestion, fight a few 350pt games, or try swapping in another caster. Thag is wonderful for what he can bring, and the twins are great in their own ways. Vayl I haven't seen yet, nor have I tried her, so can't comment there.

And as far as transfers, you can't transfer to something that frenzied last turn, nor can you transfer if it is out of control area or full of fury. And it costs you 1 fury from the caster per transfer. If your warlock would take 15 points of damage, and you shunt this to a shredder that has 1 fury on it, it would kill the shredder, and you would take the extra damage (2 points IIRC) that would be beyond what he could absorb. Then you could reave him of his fury point (thus popcorn), so you still have your fury points and are ideally alive=)
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

264 (x6)

06/11/2007

Yesterday was Bonfire Night, hope all of you who commemorate that sort of thing had fun. I don't have an update for today, mainly because -t decided to take a break from Hordes and play a little 40k. Can't say I blame him, and it definitely gave me the time to catch up a bit on my painting. I also did a bit of thinking about the direction in which I will take my army, now that I have a few games under my belt. I don't envision myself playing HORDES as a "play to win" game in the same vein as 40k (and let's face it, I am a fluff nut but I still play to win). I figure I'll just grab models based on whether or not they fit a theme or just generally look good.

The army I've been running for the moment works as a theme because it's based around a hunting party - Lylyth (the Huntmistress) with a pack of Shredders as trackers and a Carnivean as a protector and fighter in case the prey proves to be more than the little guys can handle. If I wanted to go forward with this theme, I'd be getting Blighted Archers and Nyss Striders, things like that, though probably more the Nyss Striders because Blighted Archers strike me as a more rank-and-file unit. They'll fit into another type of list theme, which I will discuss later. Another Carnivean would be a nice addition, though a more characterful one would be a pair of Raeks and a Forsaken in order to help cope with all of the extra fury. A unit of Nyss Raptors would be really great for this theme as well. Overall the theme is solid and I quite like it, but it's sadly lacking in actual Warbeasts, the main reason I got into HORDES. I'm teetering dangerously close to that precipice of Infantrymachine and that's not something I want to do.

Alternatively, I could create a proper warband of the Legion of Everblight. Legion implies that it is Everblight's personal army and should be treated as such - Heavy Warbeasts as a core supported by units of Blighted Swordsmen and Blighted Archers (or even both!) with other zany support units (the Nephilim springs to mind - it does seem to fill the Sergeant role in the Legion) and a Warlock whose talents are appropriate to that of a military commander. The two most obvious choices here, according to the fluff, are Thragosh and Rhyas. Both are equally valid, and it's a tough choice. Rhyas can really dish it out and her "swap your MAT for mine" spell is conceivably very useful, but Thragosh gives me an excuse to field Warmongers, which are both very neat models and will net me bonus social points (hereinafter referred to as Bonus Waffles) with my opponents at our club.

The third theme I think of immediately when I see the Legion of Everblight is the "Children of the Dragon", the wholesale corruption of nature that the Dragonblight brings. The Legion is literally filled with all sorts of abominations and monstrosities - literally all of the Warbeasts and even some of the infantry seem to be incredibly twisted; they can no longer be called Nyss or Ogrun anymore. These would be the Forsaken and Incubi, as well as stuff built around them. Such an army would basically involve me sacrificing Blighted Swordsmen and other things to the various Spawning Vessels and Incubi, along with a Warlock who could best support the various troops. I imagine Saeryn, Vayl, and Thragosh would work best, though I'm not sure about who does what at this point as I still don't have a rulebook in my possession. I wouldn't know most of these, to be honest...

I will certainly tinker around with stuff in my list, adding and removing different units at will in order to find out what works well together, but these are what I see as the overarching and predominant fluff themes in the Legion. They are obviously subject to change as time goes on and more blighted creations swell our ranks. One model I would love to learn how to use properly is the Angelius - on a stat-for-stat basis, the Carnivean seems to be a better model but there must be some kind of secret technique that allows the Angelius to come up trumps. After all, they call it an Alpha Warbeast for a reason, surely? Plus, I need a gimmick once the Dire Trolls and Warpwolf Purebloods start hitting the table!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

979 (x8)

Check out the 'Thrust' Special Attack on the Angelius and tell me that model isn't frightening...
    Frikking vicious.

The Teraph and Raek are still the coolest Legion models though, along with Thagrosh.

Also, we were doing so many rules wrong.
    Next tues I'll give you a smashing up and run through what we did right and wrong and stuff.

-t.
    Last updated 09/01/11

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast