What you need to start Hordes - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x3)

What you need to start Hordes

Hello all. I'm currently working across the floor (in the Warmachine section). I'm looking into the far future (like 4 months), a time when I'll be interested in starting Hordes. Now, from my GW background, I would assume that I would have to buy all the books, and then get the models/ faction deck. However, when I started Warmachine, I was informed by the friendly shopkeeper (friendly because he saved me some money) that all I needed to start Warmachine was Prime Remix and a faction deck. That was it!

So I was wondering if there was a similar set up with Hordes. Can I buy one book and a deck, and just get away with that? (in which case which book?) Or will I have to buy all the books (I think you're only at 2 right now) to get the full rules?

Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox View Post
    Ze KHADORANS vill Krush other puny factions into ze Dust! Then vill spread on Sandvich and eat! MMMMMmmmm...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Hi, so, I think I can give you a hand here. I'm right now in the middle of starting up hordes and am going through the streching pains of doing so. Also, coming from a heavily GW background I think we will share the same growing pains associated with it.

You don't even need a faction deck. Each unit you buy comes with its own card so it should only be "optional" to get the deck so you can look over units you don't have and figure out what you want.

I don't even have a main rule book right now. The quick start rules at PP is a good starting point.

I think the Prime book for hordes is the way to go, evolution is as I understand it a supplament introducing units and such.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

For the minimum spending, if you buy a starter Warpack for one of the factions, it not only contains a 275ish point army, but also has the cards for the models and a printed poster with the quickstart rules on (which work fine as long as you don't add in infantry/solos etc etc).

The rulebook is, however, a good buy.
    Lots of fluff, lots of info about beasts and units etc etc.
    Evolution is also a very good book, packed to the gills with fluff and including some very good painting tips (check out the tutorial on troll tarten for eg).

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

Well, unlike Warmachine, hordes only has two books out. So that will get you a listing of ALL models available to the game for the next year or two.

Just so -t and theyak know, WM has 4 books, plus the models in NQ, making the faction decks a great way to get all the stats on your faction options, without breaking the bank.

So, if you are getting into WM, getting Prime:REMIX and a faction deck is the best way to do it.

For hordes, getting hordes:primal and Hordes:evolution isn't too cost heavy, and as stated, contains ALL models for the next while. But if you already have prime remix, you know how everything works except the main HORDES rules, so primal is till necessary.

The only rules added in evolution is for cav and light cav. Cav rules are the same as WM (check prime remix), and the light cav is pretty simple-no impact attacks, but they can move up to their speed after a combat action. They also always ignore freestrikes.

So bare minimum would be hordes primal, and any models you want. Some of the battle boxes are better than others as far as deals go, but all are around the 310pt level, and a great way to learn the core rules.
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Hmm, I guess its time to invest in a rule book. Sounds like if you want to start cheap, just getting Primal, is the way to go?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x8)

Indeed, primal is the way to go cheap.

Has the rules for leaching, transfers, forcing, animi spells, to hit mods, feats, and all that good stuff.

And it has MOST of the current models rules listed.

As noted before, the only real things it's lacking is 1-new warbeasts/casters/units/mercs from evolution and 2-rules for cav and light cav (which are in remix if you polay WM (except for light cav, but I already posted those rules=)).
    My armies:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by tarzen View Post
    Indeed, primal is the way to go cheap.

Has the rules for leaching, transfers, forcing, animi spells, to hit mods, feats, and all that good stuff.

And it has MOST of the current models rules listed.

As noted before, the only real things it's lacking is 1-new warbeasts/casters/units/mercs from evolution and 2-rules for cav and light cav (which are in remix if you polay WM (except for light cav, but I already posted those rules=)).
    Wel, I do intend to use Long riders. I guess I'm gonna have to eat the 70 bucks or so to get the rules then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by theyak View Post
    Wel, I do intend to use Long riders. I guess I'm gonna have to eat the 70 bucks or so to get the rules then.
    Meh, cav is pretty much the exact same bar 3 things. They may make impact attacks, they get +2 on the initial charge attack, and they get tall in the saddle. Unless otherwise stated, you can't make mount attacks (except for impact attacks). If you head to pp's boards, you can find most all the rules I just mentioned on the rules pages since soo many people have questions about how cav work, even with the rules.
    My armies:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x3)

Ok, so if I want the basics and a bit of the army list, I need the Warpack (because buying in bulk is cheeper) and Prime. Once I get my feel for Hordes, I should look into evolution. Does that sound about right?

Oh and as a side note, PP has the Quick Start rules (the ones that come in the warpack and the equivelent for warmachine) up on their site along with some demo cards. I think I'll look into that and mabe proxy a few battles before I start investing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox View Post
    Ze KHADORANS vill Krush other puny factions into ze Dust! Then vill spread on Sandvich and eat! MMMMMmmmm...

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Blade View Post
    Ok, so if I want the basics and a bit of the army list, I need the Warpack (because buying in bulk is cheeper) and Prime. Once I get my feel for Hordes, I should look into evolution. Does that sound about right?

Oh and as a side note, PP has the Quick Start rules (the ones that come in the warpack and the equivelent for warmachine) up on their site along with some demo cards. I think I'll look into that and mabe proxy a few battles before I start investing.
    Yep, I'd suggest you just grab a Warpack and use the Quickstart rules to learn the basics, then buy the Primal rulebook and learn from there only after you've got the Quickstart basics down. That's the approach I'm taking - should have the Warpack in a week or so (bidding on one on eBay, the guy's shipping policy is horrible).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast