Looking into Hordes - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x3)

Looking into Hordes

I've been talking about it since early October, and I have finally gotten the Hordes: Primal, soon to be followed by Evolution which I will probably get early-mid January. What I've realized after reading through some of Hordes: Primal is that I like more of the Factions than I'd originally thought.

Right now I'm leaning towards Circle, however Legion is very close behind... and I've now developed thoughts of a Trollblood force. I was wondering if any hordes players could give me a breif layout of how each force plays (i.e. Khador is all about tough troops, and as such has less models on the board. What will see you through is tough amour, and strong combat abilities, however your speed is the slowest in the game).

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox View Post
    Ze KHADORANS vill Krush other puny factions into ze Dust! Then vill spread on Sandvich and eat! MMMMMmmmm...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

I'm in the same boat as you, BB. The more I read, the more I want to play every faction. They're all cool.

My advantage was that I got a pile of Trollbloods as my intro to the game. I never like to have more than one army per game system, so I'm stuck (but in a good way) with Trollbloods.

From my experience, I can speak to two of the factions generally playing out thusly (though, of course, there are exceptions):

Trollbloods are dependent on unit synergies for their speed and a lot of their beatdown power, but are well armored. Even their light beasts are really tough, but they need help to take down big nasties. They also have a list composition called the 'Brick' which is their 'I-win' button.

The Legion of Everblight is the 'glass cannon'. Their troopers and beasts are really fast and hit like trucks, but don't really take a punch well. They have a lot of flying beasts and the Seraphim Light Beasts are used an awful lot. Also: cover doesn't work against them, because they don't have eyes. I hate playing against them, because I always seem to be fighting on their terms.

I can't speak to the other two factions because I have neither played them nor played against them often enough.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

The Skorne is more about in-army unit and warbeast synergies and balance than any else. They have no one-trick pony like the Seraph spam, Krielstone turtle or Woldwarden spam with Kruegar and instead they have to work togheter to bring the beatdown.

Generally they have the toughest and most elite troops around with good values across the board. But their troops are also most expensive.

Warlocks depends more on the rest of the army than any other fatction. Like the other factions they have their aspects that they excel at (Morgul is more or less an assassin, Xerxis is for unit synergies but he works with 'beasts as well etc.).

Their heavy warbeasts are tough mo fos. As close to Khadoran 'jacks as you can get. The Gladiator is all about slamming because that's what it is best at (P+S 15 free slam without hitting penalties). Simply putting it, their heavy warbeasts hit people.
    Their light 'beasts are more finesse, but the Cyclops is a solid assault and defense 'beast thanks to its future sight. Basilisks demands more care when used since they are not very powerfull or tough but their animuses (animae?) are great for synergies.

I don't ahve to much experience with them but this is the impression I get from reading the forums and talking to other players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

An oversimplification of the factions is as follows:

Circle-hippies, dirty, stinky hippies. Ok, not truly. Decent speed, great support of troops, decent at ranged, and yoyo tactics. Good synergy between beasts and units and casters. Ignores most terrain.

Skorne-militant, baby beaters. punish elephants for having big feet. In short, similar to khador in most aspects. Red, high arm, mean in CC.

Legion-the cygnar/cryxx hybrid. Excel at ranged and assasination runs. Almost completely ignores terrain and LOS. Some refer to them as glass cannons, despite having the carni as a beat stick.

Trollbloods-the brick. Both mentally, and playstyle. Great buffs, awesome melee, and tough on almost all models. It's an army that just doesn't die.

Of course, each army can do somethings better than others, but has the cross over stuff (legion raptors can shoot 19" then move 9", or charge 12" and hit rat 9/8 for 10+4d6, rat 7/6 10+3d6, and pow 12 for 2d6, and then move 9" the whole time ignoring freetstrikes), or the carni beatstick. Troll scattergunners are nice short ranged troops that do well in CC too. and on and on. In short, check out some of the models and go from there=)
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

I absolutely love Hordes, and would thoroughly reccomend it as a game.
    As far as factions go, I probably wouldn't add much to what has already been said, other than there is almost always more depth to a faction than there appears on the outside.

At the end of the day, choose the models you like most of all, IMO. You will be able to find a playstyle that suits you in every faction (more or less), and it's relatively cheap and simple to completely change how your force works (get a new 'lock!).

Personally, I love my Circle force, but found the Kreuger and Woldwarden Spam force dull and boring. I'm currently playing about with Kromac, 'cos lets face it, who doesn't like changing into an angry melee beatstick every now and then?

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

I had the same initial dilemma of trying to decide between Legion and Circle back when the game first came out. We knew nothing much about the game itself and were primarily going by the looks of the miniatures in the previews.

I finally settled on Legion and I must say that I have yet to be disappointed by this army.

"The sword that takes life gives life."

-Japanese proverb.

+ Reply to Thread