Nechriah's "Fun and Exciting!" Cygnar Blog - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nechriah's "Fun and Exciting!" Cygnar Blog

Howdy y'all! Nechriah's the name, and Warmachine's the game...that I like to play every Wednesday with my gaming club. I've been playing it for a little under half a year now, and I'm fast approaching the point where I will have collected, assembled, and (almost) painted a complete army. This is the first time I've managed to do such a thing in all my years of wargaming! To celebrate this momentus occaision, I thought I'd start this blog so that I can watch my budding army grow over time. And this way, other people can watch it grow too, and maybe even derive some small measure of enjoyment out of doing so (?). We'll see.

I'm an avid fan of the Cygnarans, and there was very little doubt in my mind when I started playing this game that they would end up being my faction of choice. Here's my regular 350 point list that I actually own the models for:

- Captain Victoria Haley
    - Ironclad Heavy Warjack
    - Lancer Light Warjack
    - Long Gunners: Sergeant and 7 Gunners
    - Journeyman Warcaster
    TOTAL: 346 points

I'm currently building up my collection so that I can field a 500 point army...or maybe even 750 points, sometime in the far distant furture when evil robot koalas rule the Earth. Anyway, these are my two planned lists:

- Captain Victoria Haley
    - Ironclad Heavy Warjack
    - Lancer Light Warjack
    - Long Gunner Unit Attachment: Officer and Standard Bearer
    - Sword Knights: Captain and 7 Knights
    - Journeyman Warcaster
    - Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist
    - Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord
    TOTAL: 499 points

- Commander-Adept Sebastian Nemo
    - Centurion Heavy Warjack
    - Lancer Light Warjack
    - Journeyman Warcaster
    TOTAL: 497 points

I'm terribly excited at the moment because my latest order of stuff just came in at my local game store - which means that I'll finally own my favourite character in the game (Sebastian Nemo) in tiny, pewter form. I'm heading over there to pick him up once I've finished this post. Wazoo!

Oh, and I promise I'll put some pictures of my painted models up here soon. I've got to make this thing more interesting somehow...

Nechriah

*twidles thumbs while he waits for someone to read this*

King Kong is my hero - causing property damage and scaring the middle class are two of my favourite things

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x3)

Sounds good Nechriah, can't wait to see the pics.

It's always good to get more activity around the Warmachine side of things 8Y
    Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox View Post
    Ze KHADORANS vill Krush other puny factions into ze Dust! Then vill spread on Sandvich and eat! MMMMMmmmm...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Nice to see a new guy here. Welcome! awesome to hear that you are having a great time with WM! I can't wait to see some pics of your models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ack! I've looked over my models, and none of them are quite ready to have pics posted yet. They're all in an unfortunate state of "almost, but not quite" finished. I was intending to tidy up my 'jacks and casters during the weekend, but ended up helping my sister move house instead. While fun, that sort of thing doesn't really leave a lot of time for painting.

To compound my annoyance, my friendly local game store mixed up their orders so that all the new stock people had requested arrived...except for Nemo Oh well, hopefully he'll show up sometime soon. In the meantime, the Pirates book was one of the many new things that arrived, further testing my resolve to finish my Cygnar army BEFORE I start my Four Star Syndicate army. The solos in that book have really impressed me, especially Dirty Meg and Doc Killingsworth.

Anyway, my Thursday lectures were cancelled this week, so I might be able to finish painting something - around my homework of course *coughcough* - and put up the pictures later this week. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the interest in my thread guys, hopefully I'll put something up soon that'll make it worth coming back to!
    King Kong is my hero - causing property damage and scaring the middle class are two of my favourite things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Nechriah View Post
    - Captain Victoria Haley
    - Ironclad Heavy Warjack
    - Lancer Light Warjack
    - Journeyman Warcaster
    TOTAL: 346 points
    fantastic! Welcome to the blogspot of PP in our little nitch of the interwebz.

Like the list, sums up cygnar pretty well-some smashy, some shooty, some spell slinging and a bunch of arcane shield.

- Captain Victoria Haley
    - Ironclad Heavy Warjack
    - Lancer Light Warjack
    - Long Gunner Unit Attachment: Officer and Standard Bearer
    - Journeyman Warcaster
    I like it. Personally I would run trenchers instead of LGs, but that's me. Like it. The swords knights work well with haley since she relies on lancers. A suggestion in the grand scheme of things would be to swap the alchemist and piper and LG UA for a hunter for JR, as then you can use the hunter to engage stuff that needs it without tying up your lancer to your knights too much (by moving your hunter close, shooting something in the face, then popping reserve tank to engage. Hopefully your SKs will kill whatever they hit with "flanked", leaving your hunter ready to kill more next turn).

- Lancer Light Warjack
    - Journeyman Warcaster
    TOTAL: 497 points
    I understand why you use the same models in each list. Very practicle, but you when time permits you may wish to expand to the koala empire with other units=) In this case, having lady ayanaa and holt or even the baddest mofo cygnar or any non cryx/menoth faction can take might be in order, the one, the lovely, the undead- Alexia.

Anyways, I've had great fun with nemo, and while I love the old man, he has a hard time getting it done as a solo caster. Teamed up in 1,000 pt games or in mangled metal, he shines, but 1 on 1 he will struggle against many casters and has a hard time in infantry spam.
    I'm terribly excited at the moment because my latest order of stuff just came in at my local game store - which means that I'll finally own my favourite character in the game (Sebastian Nemo) in tiny, pewter form. I'm heading over there to pick him up once I've finished this post. Wazoo!

Oh, and I promise I'll put some pictures of my painted models up here soon. I've got to make this thing more interesting somehow...

Nechriah

*twidles thumbs while he waits for someone to read this*
    Ah, just post the pics=) And thanks for sharing with us!
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Tarzen, thanks for the comments!

RE your suggestions about my list composition: You know, I've never thought of taking the Hunter...that might be something to look into. I'm generally loathe to run too 'jack heavy (I consider anything more than two jacks to a caster to be 'jack heavy, unless said caster is Darius) as I find that it stretches a warcaster's focus too thin. Likewise, I have horrible memories of the last time I let a Journeyman play with 'jacks, but I might try marshalling the Hunter, or perhaps the Lancer, with the Sword Knight Captain. You've definately given me something to think about.

As for Lady Aiyana and Master Holt, I am SERIOUSLY tempted to add them to my Nemo list, purely for the focus he'll gain from Aiyana's magic. Coupled with that provided by the Journeyman, he'll be sitting on a grand total of nine focus each turn, which is just far too good to pass up on. The models are very nice as well (especially Aiyana!), and after reading his profile Holt looks vicious. I particularly like his 'Virtuoso' rule.

Speaking of Nemo: everyone's always said that Nemo's a difficult caster to use on his lonesome, but I've personally never found that...in all the games I've played with him, I've only lost twice (hacked apart by Vlad in close combat the first time, and brutally gang shanked by Bane Knights the second). Admittedly, a lot of my success with Nemo stems purely from the fact that dice seem to roll my way when I'm using him. He's like my good luck charm or something, hence my enthusiasm for the old man.

So, new list ideas as per Tarzen's suggestions:
    - Lancer Light Warjack
    - Long Gunners: Sergeant and 8 Gunners
    - Journeyman Warcaster
    - Lady Aiyana and Master Holt
    TOTAL: 500 points

- Captain Victoria Haley
    - Lancer Light Warjack
    - Hunter Light Warjack
    - Ironclad Heavy Warjack
    - Sword Knights: Captain and 6 Knights
    - Journeyman Warcaster

I'll definately try out that Nemo list this week. Thanks a bunch! 8Y

Oh, and pictures of my Commander Stryker, Captain Haley, Ironclad, Lancer and Gorman di Wulfe models will definately be up on Thursday this week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x8)

I will say the hunter with JR makes for a very effective team since he can run 12" away from JR and still receive focus. Plus, the hunter only needs 2, letting JR upkeep AS on stuff, or if you're shooting medium based troops, you shouldn't have to boost much on the hunter, meaning JR can pop a double boosted pow 12. Just a thought.

And if you are gonna have a lancer in your list, never ever, never, never never marshal it. It either goes on your caster or sits on the sidelines. If you want to marshal a light, marshal a sentinel or grenadier. Both will do you well. The hunter won't make a very effective marshal point either, as his extended leash doesn't work with marshalling IIRC.

Holt is a great addition, almost replacing Able (gmca), while gaining a few tricks at the cost of others (flash shots are just cool). Alexia also provides nemo with the extra focus, and the 3 (jr, alexia, and lady aiyanna bring him to 10, but usually it's cost prohibitive under 750).

I like the nemo list-very solid.

With the haley list, give hunter over to JR and it should work well for you.
    My armies:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, the Hunter's reserve tank makes it an excellent choice for the Journeyman, since he's otherwise got a rather paltry control radius of 6. It's a little too points expensive for my tastes (88 points for a light warjack!), but if it gets the job done it's probably worth it. All of its special rules do make it rather focus efficient, I must say.

Now, as promised, some pictures of my models! Photos were taken by Brett, with his "Mad Camera Skills", since all the shots I took were very, very blurry. Anyway, without further ado:
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Nechriah; April 10th, 2008 at 02:48.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Nechriah View Post
    Yeah, the Hunter's reserve tank makes it an excellent choice for the Journeyman, since he's otherwise got a rather paltry control radius of 6. It's a little too points expensive for my tastes (88 points for a light warjack!), but if it gets the job done it's probably worth it. All of its special rules do make it rather focus efficient, I must say.
    Umm, you may wish to reread the card for the hunter=) With JR, you have a 12" control area, with haley you have a 28" one as far as donating focus. Hint, it's not a reserve tank thing=) But the tank is great for oooh so many things. Stand and aim, shoot something in the forhead, then pop tank to get out of there. Walk up and shoot something from point blank, then pop tank to engage so your sword knights get flank bonus on the charge=)
    Anyways, like the paint, nice job!
    My armies:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*HEADDESK* That's right, the reserve tank gives it extra movement or somesuch, and the extended control radius comes from...something else entirely. I've never used the Hunter myself, so I'm a little fuzzy on what it can do. It's a cool looking model, and I like it's armour-piercing long cannon thingy - maybe I'll have to look out for one next time I'm in my LGS?

And thanks, glad to know someone likes my painting!
    Last edited by Nechriah; April 10th, 2008 at 03:49.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast