Precursors vs Sword Knights - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Precursors vs Sword Knights

Just asking because I'm considering swapping out Sword Knights for Precursor Knights due to later on their UA benefiting each other a lot. Kneel and Ranked Fire XD

So basically I wanna hear your thoughts on it? If you wanna share of course

Miss Spam Master 2009
    The Briny Series: Urban War Beginnings | Cygnar
    Thrallstudios

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

I would swap for the Precursor's, but quite a lot of people wouldn't. They reckon that PK's are a bit too situational to use all the time, but I always have lots of luck with them, they hit a bit harder than Sword Knights (SK's) and they have a higher MAT than SK's as well. The UA is a nice addition, and if you line up a good charge, they will destroy whatever they touch.

The other thing I really like about the PK's, is the fact that I don't have to worry about supporting them with spells, so it makes it a bit simpler for you when making focus allocation decisions. Avoids a bit of indecision...

That said, you have to weigh up whether you want a unit that hits harder, to take on heavy stuff, or hits more often (SK's - Sword Master) to take on masses of infantry.

The new SK Unit Attachment helps immensely when dealing with Jacks and Warbeasts (grants them Dismantle and Dismember), but still can't help you with cavalry.

Hope that helps a bit.
    But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.
    Psalm 55:16

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Thanks for your thoughts, I'm mainly thinking for larger games running full units with their UAs of Longgunners and Precursors, having the Precusors kneel and then Longgunners Ranked fire over them, Thus shielding the Longgunners with the knights in return.
    Miss Spam Master 2009
    The Briny Series: Urban War Beginnings | Cygnar
    Thrallstudios

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the things that I really love about this game is that when you compare units that are sort of similar you can almost always find people who will swear by one unit over the other. Quite amazing.

Anyway, answering your question. I would have to say that most people field sword knights with a faster force, while precursor are really built for a slower one. This is seen in their abilities of shield wall, which really makes them a tough nut to crack. It should also be mentioned that precursors are also very good against any undead opponents...Cryx. So if you see them a lot precursor will definitely help. Sword knights the more preferred unit, because of their hard hitting ability with the assistance of light jacks, and their cheaper point cost. This is fairly valuable in a Cygnar force, because of the high point cost of a lot of other models in the army. I have yet to see the additions that the UA for the sword knights will bring, but dismember and dismantle sound quite nice.

To be honest this really all comes down to what you think looks cooler, and will fit your needs. Sword Knights for a faster force (possibly melee) and Precursors for a slower (possibly more shooty force) One of the great things about hordes/warmachine that you can make any unit work with the right army and warcaaster. So it comes down to your choice.

....in my opinion I would go with precursor, because I think they look awesome and they tank up quite well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by ry1788 View Post
    One of the things that I really love about this game is that when you compare units that are sort of similar you can almost always find people who will swear by one unit over the other. Quite amazing.
    Got to agree with you there! I also agree with you on why you field them - they look awesome. I reckon they are some of the best sculpts that PP have. And they look awesome ranked up on the field.

I am interested in knowing why you think that PK's would be fielded with a slower force and SK's with a faster one? Not saying your wrong at all! I'm just interested to know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

82 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    I am interested in knowing why you think that PK's would be fielded with a slower force and SK's with a faster one? Not saying your wrong at all! I'm just interested to know
    For the PK's to be getting all the benefits from kneel they'll be in LOS of enemy troops. If you want their life expectancy higher than usual (don't know many guys/ girls that don't) then shieldwall is a great solution. However that effectively makes the SK twice as fast because they aren't encumbered with shieldwall.

I think that's what they're getting at... if not that's another idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox View Post
    Ze KHADORANS vill Krush other puny factions into ze Dust! Then vill spread on Sandvich and eat! MMMMMmmmm...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x2)

Hmmm, I see now what he might be meaning.

Its interesting because they both have a defensive ability (shield wall and defensive line) where the PK's have a stronger bonus, but its an order rather than a unit ability.

Same movement, SK's have a lower MAT and strength.

It really is a toss up between them, though I know the slightly higher points cost of the Precursor's would mean some people would automatically take SK's...
    I think it might take a bit more thinking and care when using PK's in a fast moving assault force.

I'm still going to take PK's any day though, mainly due to the above stated reasons I just love 'em. The last tournament I played with them, on the charge and calling menoths' name, three of them wrecked a Spriggan gotta love that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

979 (x8)

I think it massively depends on the rest of your army.

If you have several 'jacks (preferably Lancers or Centurions) then SKs will probably work out better for you.
    They are cheaper, and with 'jack support they work out as 2 attack weapon masters (the 'flank' ability gives them +2 to attack rolls, and an extra dice of damage against models in melee range of friendly 'jacks).

They massively benefit from Arcane Shield (ending up at ARM 19 assuming they are in tight formation, which isn't hard, as they only have to be in tight formation with one other knight, not the entire unit), so if you've got a journeyman (and who doesn't?) who isn't using it on anything else then bob's your uncle.

If you don't have melee 'jacks, and have long gunners, then I would definitely look to the PKs, but only with the UA.
    Without the UA I think they are pretty worthless (there are other units that are better at what they do without the UA), Kneel is the deal-breaker.

If you're basing the army around a core of Long Gunners and Trenchers, then I would say that PKs are probably the better choice, forming yet another layer of stuff to deal with before you can get to the LGs.

My personal preference is to use SKs, but that's 'cos I normally play pretty aggressively with my Nemo army, and my 'jacks really support the SKs (a Centurion and a Lancer, possibly a pair of 'em).

In the end, it's down to personal preference. Like most of WM/H, most things are pretty nasty, it's just a matter of how they fit in your army and your play style.

-t.

PS. Solo, your PKs probably didn't call upon Menoth. That would be the wrong god...
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x2)

PS. Solo, your PKs probably didn't call upon Menoth. That would be the wrong god...
    Haha! Thought there was something niggling at my brain when I was writing it.

Morrow's Name...

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

What it really comes down to, is whacking people upside the head with huge stinkin' maces is just awesome, and those Nerf Bats the Sword Knights run around with are an eyesore.

Plus PKs have way more cloth on them and (imo) wavy/foldy cloth is way less time consuming to paint to a decent standard than slabs of smooth gently curving metal.

I am nothing if not practical!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast