350pts Legion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 350pts Legion

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

350pts Legion

I wanted to see what people thought of this before I bought the models.

Faction: Legion of Everblight
    Army Points: 350/350
    Victory Points: 16

Thagrosh, Prophet of Everblight
    Carnivean
    Shredder
    Shredder
    Shredder
    Shredder
    Shepherd
    Shepherd
    Spawning Vessel (4)

Ok the thought for this was that Thagrosh and 2 shredders could sorta head in one direction. And the Carnivean could head in the other direction with a shepard. Then the spawning vessel and second shepard follows behind with 2 shredders, for thagrosh to dump damage onto and then heal. And if they die, I'll stick them in the pot and boil the blood.

Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

OK, I'm going to say that with Hordes, getting the most out of a list is down to a player, and the advice and opinions are purely applicable to me, but that you might get some help out of them.

Firstly, I'm not a huge fan of Thagrosh.
    He can be scary, but he needs either some Warmongers or some Swordsmen to be particularly worrying (draconic blessing ftw).
    Death Shroud is also awesome, but for my money, the rest of his spell list is too pricey for what it does, especially considering how surprisingly squishy he is... (def14 arm15 is not hugely awesome).
    I also don't like his feat very much, as the beast cannot activate that turn.
    It's just me though, everyone has different preferences.

Lylyth is a good, solid warlock to learn Legion with, I think. Combined with the Sheperd, she can manage a solid beast army, but some infantry will work very well too (if you're looking to one day using her epic, you will want some archers...).
    Also, she comes in the starter box. This is good.

The beasts are good and solid. Shredders are stunningly awesome for the points.
    The Carnie works well with Thaggy (there isn't really a better target for his feat), but Lylyth can get some good efficiency going, what with the free charging and such-like.

The pair of Sheperds is good, but I would stick to having one. The second is likely to just end up in the way, or die pointlessly to an AOE or something similar...

The Spawing Vessel is pretty much useless, especially in such a beast based list.
    It will give you a new shredder when you loose either 5 small bases, or 2 small bases and the carnivean. At this point, it probably isn't going to turn the tide. That is also assuming it isn't destroyed by someone, which it probably will be, seeing as it is on a medium base, and arm18 with 10 damage boxes isn't really all that great.

If I were you, I'd swap Thagrosh for Lylyth, and drop the second Sheperd, the Spawning Vessel, and a pair of Shredders.
    Then, add in a Nephilim (the light warbeast with wings and a sword, can be excellent at either assassination or killing light infantry), and a Forsaken (the mutated-looking solo, who is something like a suicide bomber, but without the dying part).

But that's just me...

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

To echo and add to Minus' comments.

It looks like you're going with the Battlebox and some extras. Before telling you "this is good" and "this is bad", realize that WM/Hordes is not like 40k. A list is not the be-all-to-end-all. A list does not determine who wins and who loses before dice are even rolled. Not by a mile. While there are a large number of synergies available within any given faction, for the most part you actually can get away with picking your list at random or based on what models you like and you'll be fine.

Now that we've got that out of the way:

Thagrosh operates much better leading troopers than Beasts. If you want to run Beast-heavy, you're better off with Vayl or Saeryn.
    When writing a list, pay attention to each Beast's Fury value and compare that to your Warlock's. That will give you an idea if you're running way too hot with Fury or whether your Warlock will spend the whole game starved.

Four Shredders will quickly pile on way more Fury than any Warlock could ever hope to handle, so a Forsaken is very useful. Actually, a Forsaken is practically an auto-include in the opinion of some Legion players.

At lower-point-total games, Thag suffers for lack of soldiers. He really doesn't start to shine until you hit about 500, so Lylyth might be a better call.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

Thagrosh operates much better leading troopers than Beasts. If you want to run Beast-heavy, you're better off with Vayl or Saeryn.
    When writing a list, pay attention to each Beast's Fury value and compare that to your Warlock's. That will give you an idea if you're running way too hot with Fury or whether your Warlock will spend the whole game starved.

Four Shredders will quickly pile on way more Fury than any Warlock could ever hope to handle, so a Forsaken is very useful. Actually, a Forsaken is practically an auto-include in the opinion of some Legion players.
    Sadly I don't have any of the cards so I can't look at the fury points and compare them and what not.

And from my understanding you didn't always have to force warbeasts to do anything, meaning they could sit there for a turn if you'd built up too much fury.. maybe, not exactly sure.

What is this pack mentality I keep reading about, I've been reading the stuff on battlecollege to learn more about legion, and what is pack mentality? I didn't see anything about it in the quickstart rules.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

Without giving away too much of the rules and copyrighted material, Pack Mentality is a neat trick the Shredders pull wherein each hit scored by a Shredder on a target makes it that much more likely the next Shredder to attack the same target will do more damage.

It's part of what has made the tiny, weedy-looking Shredder one of the more feared Beasts in the Legion's arsenal.

If you can bum a copy of the rulebook from your friends or friendly local store, you can read everything about every unit in the game.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

You certainly can leave your warbeasts sitting around doing nothing for a turn, but it won't be a good idea.
    Generally speaking, games of Hordes are going to be over by turn 3-5. Anything longer than that really is a slug-fest.
    If you want your beast sitting, doing very little for 1/4th of the game, feel free, I much appreciate it!

Check the rules for threshold and frenzying...:
    Any time you leave a beast with fury after you have leached it for the turn, you have to see if it frenzies. Now, it's not always a bad thing to frenzy, but it often is.
    Especially with Shredders. When they frenzy, they always attack other Shredders, if they can.

The best thing to do, if you're thinking of getting into the game is to get a friend who is interested in starting it too, then get a warpack box each, and a Hordes: Primal (preferably one each).
    Play a few games, and get the hang of the rules.

Then start thinking about picking up other bits and pieces, once you know how it works...
    That is the best advice I can give you, to be honest.

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

The best thing to do, if you're thinking of getting into the game is to get a friend who is interested in starting it too, then get a warpack box each, and a Hordes: Primal (preferably one each).
    Play a few games, and get the hang of the rules.

Then start thinking about picking up other bits and pieces, once you know how it works...
    That is the best advice I can give you, to be honest.
    I'm fully aware of that, me and my friend each picked up boxes for warmachine, my friend[aetherguy881] picked up Protectorate, I picked up Cryx, he didn't get as into the game as I did. I am probably 100$ away from 1kpts of Cryx that and my gaspy has no proper base... In any event, as soon as I started using gaspy instead of deneghra my friend "lost interest" Or the interest wasn't there despite the fact that he looked into it before I did.

This time, I'm picking up the box and hoping someone else will start, or that I'll be able to find people who like the game system and are willing to play with me. Granted I could spend this money on 40k and paint those models, I'm just not in the mood to paint, GW's models.

And I'd like to be able to run a beast based army. So here it is: Maybe it improved a little:

Faction: Legion of Everblight
    Army Points: 350/350
    Victory Points: 15

Vayl, Disciple of Everblight
    Carnivean
    Shredder
    Shredder
    Shredder
    Shredder
    Shredder
    Shepherd
    The Forsaken