Cryx Rundown: Prime Mk II - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

Cryx Rundown: Prime Mk II

What about the more experienced players desribe a couple of units, 'jacks and casters here, what their strengths and weaknesses are and how they use them?
    I, threadstarter, can then just copy what has been written and attatch it here up on top. That way this thread can become a complete catalog of the Cryxian warmachine and how it's used. The more that is written the better the fruits of our efforts on the battlefelds.

And if anyone want to add something in a 'jacks, units or 'casters descripion, tactics-wise or rules-wise, just write it in a post and this original post will be edited with the new info. In this way more and different tactics will evolve and find it's way into the plans of generals over the globe.

Other factions can also do threads like this. In that way we can learn of their weaknesses and become better at destroying them. *evil snickering*
    It would be nice to call them the same, just switch the name of the faction, like Khador Rundown: Prime Mk II.
    I could easily do it, but I think and hope that I will keep my hands full with updating this thread and won't find enough time and motivation to deal with the other factions. So it would be good if some hardcore, or just plain interrested, players could adopt this idea and open up threads for Khador, Cygnar and the Protectorate.

Our first poster, mellr0, created a very good opening post.
    He started with a quick review of the new model compared to the old. Then he followed it up with a description of how the model itself work and finishes off the post with how the model plays in an army. Very comprehensive.

So, lets begin! What do you use, and how do you use them?

-------

PROGRES:
    Warcasters: 1 / 8 (written by mellr0 and no other)
    Warjacks: 1 / 15 (written by Deadstar_MRC and no other)
    Units: 1 / 15 (written by mellr0 and no other)
    Solos: 1 / 9 (written by mellr0 and no other)

Warcasters:

Goreshade and Deathwalker: (written by mellr0 and no other)

Mark II goreshade is an entirely different kettle of fish to mark I. Mark I goreshade let large amounts of infantry do the talking for him, but mark II has the advantage that he can take a little bit of damage himself.

For those who dont know, Goreshade is an Anti magic, metagame caster who is hard to plan against. He has a high power, single clsoe combat weapon, and comes with Mage blight and hex blast, the two best anti magic spells of the game. He comes with another model called the Deathwalker, which is a general buff/debuff unit, allowing goreshade to be a bit more forgiving with mistakes, as goreshade can absorb the deathwalker to keep himself alive once he has had all his damage boxes removed.

Unlike most other cryx Caster, goreshade doesn't suffer from a lack of bonejacks, and still benefits from them. Soul Gate allows you to drag injured jacks back to be repaired or out of damage, and allows you to bring a heavy jack for possible defenc against an assault.
    His feat is one of the most powerful in the game, allowing you to create a unit of bane thralls for free. With Bane lord Tartarus, this can be a deadly combination.

Other posters: Feel free to contribute and add your own thoughts.

Deneghra:
    Empty, please write.

Siren:
    Empty, please write.

Asphyxious:
    Empty, please write.

Terminus:
    Empty, please write.

Skarre:
    Empty, please write.

Witch Coven of Garlghast & the Egrogore:
    Empty, please write.

Mortenebra and Deryliss:
    Empty, please write.

Warjacks:

Ripjaw:
    Empty, please write.

Defiler:
    Empty, please write.

Deathripper:
    Empty, please write.

Nightwretch:
    Empty, please write.

Slayer:
    Empty, please write.

Reaper:
    Empty, please write.

Corruptor:
    Empty, please write.

Seether: (written by Deadstar_MRC and no other).

Disclaimer: I have very little experience with Warmachine and thus should not be relied upon for advice. Seek professional opinion if problems persist.

The main drawback of this warjack in Mark I was it's occasional desire to eat it's own controlling warcaster; although there were ways to mitigate this, many argued it wasn't worth the bother.

Now... well, it seems the Seether's been to rehab, as is the fashion these days, and is solely focused on taking its anger out on your enemy! It does seem a little pricey, but you do get a free point of focus in each one of your control phases, and you can run or charge without using that. Essentially, you've got a guaranteed free boosted roll, or an additional attack if you need it.

I forgot to use the chain attack when I fielded this jack, but I can see its potential; soften a target up, then knock it down for others to finish or just toss it somewhere out of the way. Of course, it does require you to hit the same model with both claws, but this jack does have a very good MAT and you can always use that free focus point!

I'm not sure if I can recommend casters to use with the Seether, but given the free focus point I imagine it would fit with both low- and high-focus casters, as it can be fairly self sufficient if you need, or thrive on the extra focus if you have some to spare.

Leviathan:
    Empty, please write.

Stalker:
    Empty, please write.

Helljack:
    Empty, please write.

Harrower:
    Empty, please write.

Helldiver:
    Empty, please write.

Nightmare:
    Empty, please write.

Cankerworm:
    Empty, please write.

Units:

Bane Thralls:
    Empty, please write.

Bane Knights
    Empty, please write.

Bilethralls:
    Empty, please write.

Mechanithralls:
    Empty, please write.

Necrosurgeon and Stitch Thralls:
    Empty, please write.

Revenant Pirate Crew: (written by mellr0 and no other)

While generally disliked by cryx players in mark I for not being terribly brilliant and only getting a benefit from having rengrave around, its now safe to say that the revenant crew is a wise and fun choice. Zombie Pirates!

They are a slightly expensive infantry unit whose special abilities make up for it. A maxed out unit is much more effective but very expensive, so in small games, you might want to consider taking rengrave to get the most out of them.
    Essentially, each pirate destroyed while in formation may be brought back in your maintenance phase, except if the leader is killed that turn. with careful placement and casting of spells, you can essentially make this unit unkillable by making it very difficult to target the leader.
    They have a ranged weapon that can be used in cc to get 2 attacks of power 9 and 10, one of which ignores any strength lowering effects but cant be used as a charge attack. Finally, pairing up against infantry models nearly guarantees kills, with +2 to attack and damage rolls while in meelee range of other models in this unit. As a swarm army, these units are an excellent choice

Satyxis Raiders:
    Empty, please write.

Satyxis Blood Witches:
    Empty, please write.

Satyxis Raider Sea Witch:
    Empty, please write.

Soulhunters:
    Empty, please write.

Black Ogrun Boarding Party:
    Empty, please write.

Brute Thrall:
    Empty, please write.

The Withershadow Combine:
    Empty, please write.

Bloodgorgers:
    Empty, please write.

Blackbanes Ghost Raiders:
    Empty, please write.

Solos:

Necrotech and Scrap Thrall:
    Empty, please write.

Skarlock:
    Empty, please write.

Pistol Wraith:
    Empty, please write.

Machine Wraith:
    Empty, please write.

Bloat Thrall:
    Empty, please write.

Bane Lord Tartarus:
    Empty, please write.

Captain Rengrave: (written by mellr0 and no other)

Rengrave has changed a little, but is still as effective as ever. No longer with the ability to curse models, but no longer needing enemies to fail command checks to become revenants, He is still is a strong choice in an army of pirates. His high power CC weapon, and the ability to use his ranged weapon as a CC weapon is excellent, as well as being upgraded to have magical close combat weapons. Being a commander and having a very high command stat helps greatly as well.
    He lost some survivability, so he wont exactly be standing on the front lines of close combat, though his sacrificial pawn helps vs snipers. I would, however, state categorically, if you dont have pirate crew in your army.. dont take him

Darragh Wrathe:
    Empty, please write.

General Gerlak Slaughterborn:
    Empty, please write.

Last edited by Mr_Wayne; January 25th, 2010 at 22:07.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Mark II Bam!

Mark II goreshade is an entirely different kettle of fish to mark I. Mark I goreshade let large amounts of infantry do the talking for him, but mark II has the advantage that he can take a little bit of damage himself.
    For those who dont know, Goreshade is an Anti magic, metagame caster who is hard to plan against. He has a high power, single clsoe combat weapon, and comes with Mage blight and hex blast, the two best anti magic spells of the game. He comes with another model called the Deathwalker, which is a general buff/debuff unit, allowing goreshade to be a bit more forgiving with mistakes, as goreshade can absorb the deathwalker to keep himself alive once he has had all his damage boxes removed.
    Unlike most other cryx Caster, goreshade doesn't suffer from a lack of bonejacks, and still benefits from them. Soul Gate allows you to drag injured jacks back to be repaired or out of damage, and allows you to bring a heavy jack for possible defenc against an assault.
    His feat is one of the most powerful in the game, allowing you to create a unit of bane thralls for free. With Bane lord Tartarus, this can be a deadly combination.
    If anyone believes on telekinesis, raise my hand!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

225 (x7)

Great start mellr0! You lead the way. That's exactly what I aimed at. Hope you're happy with the edit.
    Let's see if any other Rundowns pop up. Would be nice to create a complete overlook.
    Last edited by Mr_Wayne; January 21st, 2010 at 19:51.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

Actually, I might be able to help out with this a little bit more than I thought... I can have a go, at least!

Seether:

Disclaimer: I have very little experience with Warmachine and thus should not be relied upon for advice. Seek professional opinion if problems persist.

The main drawback of this warjack in Mark I was it's occasional desire to eat it's own controlling warcaster; although there were ways to mitigate this, many argued it wasn't worth the bother.

Now... well, it seems the Seether's been to rehab, as is the fashion these days, and is solely focused on taking its anger out on your enemy! It does seem a little pricey, but you do get a free point of focus in each one of your control phases, and you can run or charge without using that. Essentially, you've got a guaranteed free boosted roll, or an additional attack if you need it.

I forgot to use the chain attack when I fielded this jack, but I can see its potential; soften a target up, then knock it down for others to finish or just toss it somewhere out of the way. Of course, it does require you to hit the same model with both claws, but this jack does have a very good MAT and you can always use that free focus point!

I'm not sure if I can recommend casters to use with the Seether, but given the free focus point I imagine it would fit with both low- and high-focus casters, as it can be fairly self sufficient if you need, or thrive on the extra focus if you have some to spare.
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

225 (x7)

And we're off to a great start! This looks promising. Keep it coming all of you Cryxians! Unite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Just had a 50 point game today.... Its like being punched in the face by a train.

Revenant Pirate Crew: While generally disliked by cryx players in mark I for not being terribly brilliant and only getting a benefit from having rengrave around, its now safe to say that the revenant crew is a wise and fun choice. Zombie Pirates!

They are a slightly expensive infantry unit whose special abilities make up for it. A maxed out unit is much more effective but very expensive, so in small games, you might want to consider taking rengrave to get the most out of them.
    Essentially, each pirate destroyed while in formation may be brought back in your maintenance phase, except if the leader is killed that turn. with careful placement and casting of spells, you can essentially make this unit unkillable by making it very difficult to target the leader.
    They have a ranged weapon that can be used in cc to get 2 attacks of power 9 and 10, one of which ignores any strength lowering effects but cant be used as a charge attack. Finally, pairing up against infantry models nearly guarantees kills, with +2 to attack and damage rolls while in meelee range of other models in this unit. As a swarm army, these units are an excellent choice

Rengrave: Rengrave has changed a little, but is still as effective as ever. No longer with the ability to curse models, but no longer needing enemies to fail command checks to become revenants, He is still is a strong choice in an army of pirates. His high power CC weapon, and the ability to use his ranged weapon as a CC weapon is excellent, as well as being upgraded to have magical close combat weapons. Being a commander and having a very high command stat helps greatly as well.
    He lost some survivability, so he wont exactly be standing on the front lines of close combat, though his sacrificial pawn helps vs snipers. I would, however, state categorically, if you dont have pirate crew in your army.. dont take him
    If anyone believes on telekinesis, raise my hand!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

225 (x7)

Okay!!!
    4 out of a total of 47 done. Just 43 left. Let's get this over with.

mellr0, you've done 75% of all the work here. Great job!
    Deadstar_MRC, you're good too. Keep it up.
    Last edited by Mr_Wayne; January 25th, 2010 at 21:49.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

I think I'll have to play another game or two before I have anything else to contribute!
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

+ Reply to Thread