Pinning the models in Battle Box? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pinning the models in Battle Box?

Hello everyone, first off I would like to say I'm new the the forum and just recently have I become very interested in Warmachine. I just ordered two box sets, Cygnar and Khador. I have been searching thru countless forums and sites to learn as much about this game and hobby as possible. I came across a page talking about Pinning the models parts. So I guess my main question would be: Do you "need" to pin the parts together or is thsi just something people do for more durability and would gluing alone be enough? I'm just asking because this will be the first time doing something like this and feel a bit out of my element having to drill holes and put pins and such in. The painting aspect of it is really attractive to me and the models them selves look amazing. Well it seems I'm babbling now so I will say good bye and hope to hear your thoughts on this soon.

Thanks - Watty

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Pinning isn't 100% required, but glue alone won't (at least it never has for me) cut it. I recommend using Greenstuff + glue for best results. It's keeping my models together without a need for pins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x4)

The majority of models I haven't pinned, the notable exceptions being one of my Storm Lances and Kraye; The storm lance because of how the rider sat and Kraye because it was mis-packaged and was missing the rock-part of the base, so I had to fashion something out of pink foam and putty. I didn't feel like waiting for a replacement part.
    "Speed is life! You go slow, you die!"
    -Sgt. Unther, Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

I just purchased the Protectorate box and I chose to use the green stuff + glue method for assembling the body and using pins to hold the arms in place. It's all a matter of what is easiest or more preferable to you. I for one generally like to pin everything so an accidental mishandling won't break my model apart.

Good luck and welcome!
    "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    397 (x6)

I've done a number of Khador 'jacks, including the battle box ones, and I haven't pinned any of them. If I had to do it again I think I might use pins but as it is, I haven't had any trouble.
    General Project Log Things I Paint
    Seeing Red A Khador Log
    Stuck Between Stations My Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just finished my Cygnar box

I used super glue on most of it and some Oatey All Purpose Putty I bought in the plumbing section of Lowes. I've painted up Stryker and the Lancer so far. For my first minis I think they turned out pretty well. The glue seems to be holding up but only time will tell. I must say they are a bit smaller than I was expecting but still fun to put together and paint. Once I finish painting the other 2 jacks I will start on my Khador box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x4)

Pretty smart way of doing it, honestly! And I'm sorry, I forgot to drop a reply; Zap-A-Gap CA+ is the glue. It comes in a green bottle. The putty is a great idea though..I just normally use filler or Green Stuff or something on cracks, but the putty sounds like an excellent holder/filler.
    Last edited by Zeewulf; June 12th, 2010 at 22:39.
    "Speed is life! You go slow, you die!"
    -Sgt. Unther, Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always glue, pin and GS it, to be on the safe side. And I always have like 4 pins in each, just in case.
    Current Armies: Tau, Dark Angels, Wood Elves, Bretonnians
    Side Projects: Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar, High Elves, The Empire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

I bought a Cygnar battlebox and my wife a Khador one and I assembled both. I don't recall having to pin any of the box set warjacks (although I have done others). I do recall the Cygnar Jack arms had a very nice 'plug-and-socket' setup which braced them so well no pinning was required.

For some miniatures I also (or alternatively) use scoring to help keep them together, especially as an additional insurance when pinning the wings and limbs on my Legion beasts.

Scoring is using a hobby knife to cut lines on the surfaces you are going to glue together (scoring them) which gives the glue good places to grip and helps hold the pieces togather. This does not replace pinning completely, but it reinforces pinning and can allow some models to stay together which you otherwise might have needed to pin. Namely I scored my Cygnar Stormguard halberiers upper bodies to theri lower bodies and they have held up beautifully, even to rough handling.

"The sword that takes life gives life."

-Japanese proverb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x3)

I haven't had a problem with my 'jacks aside from the Spriggan. All of the other ones are not pinned and have held up for 2+ years of abuse. With the Spriggan, I saw the way the arms and spear go together and pinned it so I've never had any problems.

As an aside I would suggest pinning the extra bits for the plastic character 'jacks as plastic + metal parts are a recipe for disaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox View Post
    Ze KHADORANS vill Krush other puny factions into ze Dust! Then vill spread on Sandvich and eat! MMMMMmmmm...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast