Starting Cygnar - What to buy - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    By the Silver Sword! Stormchaser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x3)

Starting Cygnar - What to buy

Hi guys

I'm planning on starting a Cygnar army, but I've never played Warmachine before, so I'm looking for a good place to start.

If you guys could suggest a list of models etc. that would be good starting point for a larger army, that'd be ace.

I want to have plenty of 'jacks and I love the look of the stormlance cavalry, so I'm very keen on getting some of those as well.

Thanks for your help guys!

Codex: Legion Astartes - I am in need of Beta/proof readers and play testers
    The Primarch Project
    A Hero is no braver than the ordinary man. He is just brave five minutes longer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the jewel of the iron kingdoms.

A good place to start is always the battle-box, but otherwise its hard to say if you don't know what warcaster you will be using.

But there are a few models you will need:

Hunter, this can easy deal as much damage on a heavy as the defender.

Defender, with snipe you can literally pick of enemies in the opponents deployment zone, and Morrow have mercy on anyone underestimating its cc

Journeyman warcaster, 3 extra focus, + another arcane shield, I mean, what else is there to say.

Ironclad, this is your beatstick there are many like it, but this one has knockdown.

And in your case Stormlance cavalry because in the end you got yo go with what you think is awsome

Hope this helps
    "We's da best at drive into shooting"
    Wazzog warboss of the piledrivers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x3)

Thanks for the feedback

As I've said I'm a total noob so I have no idea what's good and what's bad. Although I do like the idea of three Cyclone jacks being mean with their twin chain guns!

If I'm wanting an army that is 50/50 combat/shooting, is there a specific warcaster for that?
    The Primarch Project
    A Hero is no braver than the ordinary man. He is just brave five minutes longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For Cygnar and most other warmachine/hordes there are no bad units, most units have a specific purpose they excel at, and if they have a caster that supports them well, they shine.

But if you want some sort of allround caster Stryker is a good choice, but Haley isn't bad either.

A good way to get a idea of how a warcaster works is to get the armybook(forces of Cygnar) and look at the Theme force tiers, they give a general idea of what gamestyle a caster has, they are not necessarily the best lists a caster can have, but give a great idea of their playstyle. btw. the armybook is awesome get it.

If you get Longgunners, trenchers, and stormblades you are fairly well covered, because most casters have good synergies with at least 2 out of 3, and they all work fairly decent alone.

It is very important to know that changing warcaster, is like changing army even if the other units stay the same. this is why I love this game, for the price of one warcaster I get a new game.

Its hard to get any more specific than that, until you know what you want to play.

Remember: Play like you've got a pair.
    "We's da best at drive into shooting"
    Wazzog warboss of the piledrivers

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

I've consulted my resident expert on Cygnar, who has confirmed that the advice you've been given thus far is pretty solid. The battlebox is as good a place to start as any, with Stryker being a good caster to support melee and shooting. You'll also get a condensed version of the rules which I imagine will help no end!

I've also been told to mention that, in terms of the Iron Kingdoms setting, Stryker and Storm Knights (of any variety) go really well together. Might be a little bit of a bonus for you.

So, the battlebox would be the best place to start, and you might want to look into either the faction book or faction deck, so you can see what else Cygnar has to offer. Try things out, see what you like and what works for you by proxying, and then start expanding your force.

As piledriver mentioned, the books contain themed 'Tier Lists' which may confer certain cost reductions or bonuses if you build your army a certain way, so something like that may give you some extra guidance or a framework to work towards.

Good luck with the army building!
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    397 (x6)

Here's a few good starting pieces:

Units - Gun Mages and Stormblades
    Warjacks - Ironclad and Lancer
    Solos - Journeyman Warcaster and Squire

These are all good, basic models that appear in a ton of Cygnar lists. I'll also recommend the battle box as a great place to start - it has the Ironclad and Lancer (as well as a Charger, another good 'jack) and a good starting 'caster in Stryker. He is actually quite good at running mixed arms lists (i.e. combat and shooting) and has a good feat to help you recover from any mistakes you make.
    General Project Log Things I Paint
    Seeing Red A Khador Log
    Stuck Between Stations My Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've only started playing WM and use Cygnar as my faction. Black 13th is a must buy IMHO, it does everything well. They are one unit but really are like 3 solo kickass gun mages laying down the hurt wherever they go. Dropping down a pow 12 4 inch template that doesn't hurt the caster, plus gives the full damage is amazing, plus it stays for a round to block charge lanes or whatever you want it to do. Simply the best cheese unit around. Oh, you can drop a template that ignores cover, camouflage and stealth to boot.

Stormcallers are great value, they come in a blister of 3 and are one of the few 1 pt units you can use to fill in the gaps. Accurate no matter the defense of the target because it is a skill check, plus it disrupt jacks, what isn't there to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x3)

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Really useful

The old purse strings are a bit tight this month, but I have ordered the battle box, and I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival
    The Primarch Project

+ Reply to Thread