Looking to start WM and Khodar. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking to start WM and Khador.

First off, Im going to say to know absolutely NOTHING about WM, except that it looks fun, and has a big following at my local club

I decided to finally look into some of the mini's today, and am in LOVE with the Khodar fluff, and range.

But, as stated before, I know nothing about WM, and was wondering what's the basic core of a Khodar army, whats the focus of a list, (i.e. infantry like winterguard, or lots of 'jacks.) and of course, what I should buy first

And how goo are the Uhlans and Kodiaks, as i love the models

Help and tips welcome

Last edited by onawen; November 3rd, 2010 at 04:58.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what you should get first, is probably the battlebox and your armybook, and then uhlans and Kodiak, because the most important thing is playing with the models you like.

Also I just went on http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com to make sure that I wasn't saying some complete nonsense.

But as for the core of the Khador army, and any other warmachine army, its your caster, simpel as that.

Unlike warhammer games you don't need "core" units, the only thing that certain in an army is your caster, and almost always, a jack to use your WJ points.

Hopes this helps a little.
    "We's da best at drive into shooting"
    Wazzog warboss of the piledrivers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recomend buying the card deck first and working out the caster you want to start with, Once you choose a caster find units and warjacks that will work well with them.

Units that are auto include in all my Khador lists are Widow makers and Great Bears there so damn good and reliable!

If you want anymore advice or info shoot me a PM

Matt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heya Onawen. I know this is kinda a late reply to this thread and you have most likely gone out and gotten started by now if you wanted to get into WM, but I may as well add my 2 cents as well.
    In my personal opinion, WM is so much better than 40k as it involves more strategic play and is more reliant on forward planning as you can't just move, shoot and assault your army as 1 like in 40k, but have to move every model/unit individually, as well as needing to allocate focus to jacks to allow them to perform properly and if a jack you are expecting to perform a certain role doesn't perform, it makes it hard since the focus you allocated that jack could have been much better utilised to allow another jack to perform better or get the caster to sling a spell or 2.
    With this in mind, I would say it is important to have a good balance between jacks and infantry as having too many jacks can sap your caster of focus to allow them to perform, while having too much infantry opens you up to getting overrun by a unit or Jack that counters particular infantry models. The other good thing about jacks is being able to boost their attack or damage rolls using focus points, allowing them to either hit like bricks or at least breach the high Def of certain models that your regular infantry wouldn't have the luxury of bypassing unless they either had a special ability or were being aided by a warcaster.
    Piledriver is right in saying that there are no "core" units that you mandatorily SHOULD be taking in every list as the potency of the units or jacks that you are using relies almost completely on the utility of your caster and using the same list with a different caster will completely change its playstyle.
    I haven't fielded or seen a game firsthand using cavalry as a unit, but I hear good things about them and have seen some battle reports on you tube that suggest that they can be pretty brutal, but be aware that because of both their size and the size of their bases, they will have a hard time hiding, gaining concealment or cover and finding charge lanes through other units or terrain without having a trick up their sleeve.
    Anything other than that, I would probably go with Piledriver's advice and say go with what you think looks cool as there is no way any unit can't perform in warmachine as long as you are playing them the way they were intended on being played and also "playing like you got a pair".

+ Reply to Thread