Starting Cryx - 1st 15 point list - new to WM - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting Cryx - 1st 15 point list - new to WM

1st list, will play vs mix of horde/WM players

Venethrax -6*
    Bane Knights 6
    Bane Lord 4
    Wither Council 5
    Defiler 5*

No big jack, but plenty of dmg in other sources.

Hoping to pull off quite a fun feat, following, potential 10-16 focus (via souls) spent on Bloodrain, followed by feat, followed by charge in subseq turn and some caster/lock killing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

I quite like the idea of Venethrax, from what I've read of his rules. I've been meaning to try him out myself, though I haven't got the chance as yet. The fact you'll be facing some Horde armies though should enable you to make good use of Venethrax's ability to cause some sever damage to warbeasts.

The list seems a bit on the small side to me. Not a lot of bodies there, but that might not be an issue for you. I tend to take a fair bit of infantry in my lists so maybe it's just my habits that are odd, not yours!
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah ordinarily id take more units, but for a small 15 pt game with venny, after considering my options of either a large jack, unit spam or withercouncil, id went for the council for more versitility and umph!.

Free upkeep with removal of opponent Upkeeps too valuable to replace IMO,

Would love some points for a bane thrall + ua, or a seether or djack, alas not enough pts.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

Yeah, I'm not all that familiar with the Withershadow combine, but have heard they're awesome. I'm not familiar with a lot of units, to be honest! I do love my seether, though, mainly because I can throw stuff with it. And the extra focus point is handy, but if the Withershadow are removing upkeep costs you sort of have the same thing...
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You do know that other than your Defiler there is nothing that can block los to your caster, I seem to remember venethrax being able to make some clouds, but still.
    Also I know he can be very hard if he hug his focus, but still it seems to me its a bit risky if your opponent know what they are doing(Eryiss), I would at least fit a Slayer or something in there.

Also if you are up against jack heavy you could be in trouble.

Just my input, hope you can use it.
    "We's da best at drive into shooting"
    Wazzog warboss of the piledrivers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah the above list will mainly be playing against HORDES.

Thinking of camping my focus till i can blow it all for a nice finale. (with accumulated souls)

Yeah thought of W/Council or Jack, even thought about the Ogruns but have too much love for the banes.

Banes can hurt jacks, add curse, charge and weapon master they hit like a truck, the wither also eats jacks, venny eats beasts and BL tart eats infantry.

Like always the opponent can come up with a super game plan but i hope the above list is well rounded for 15 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vangeleon View Post
    Yeah the above list will mainly be playing against HORDES.

Thinking of camping my focus till i can blow it all for a nice finale. (with accumulated souls)
    Accumulated? you get souls the round after you reap them, if you don't use them that round they disappear.

Also in 15pt his focus potential is much smaller, especially if they have some fury controlling units(whelps, pain-givers...),

Your tactics is also going to be very straight forward, literally, its still a very dangerous list that can and will win you a battle, BUT when you meet someone who played against that kind of list they can pick it apart.

If you put a Slayer in that list you could gain so much, 2 open fists, combo strike, slam and trample attacks.

So in summery my advice is: remove the tard, switch defiler with wretch, add slayer.
    - you will lose some corrosion, but in 15pt how much do you need?
    - the tard's curse, bane knights are fast as is, also you can't get souls for what he kills
    + a powerful Aoe3, only useful sometimes I grant.
    + full range of power attacks, combo strike to soften up heavies for either Thrax or Wintershadow, great synergy for the WSC.

I know two Cryx players, and none of them knows how to wield the wonderful device known as a basic Heavy, and that makes me a sad panda, so I might be a tad passionate on that point.

That's my advice, sorry if I started ranting.
    "We's da best at drive into shooting"
    Wazzog warboss of the piledrivers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about

Venny -6
    Seether 9
    Stalker 4
    Blood Gorgers 5

3 spare. on which,

Pistol W
    Gen Slaughter
    Necro tech/surgeon
    Cannon?

Any suggestions, far more conservative list

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

470 (x8)

Pistol wraiths were apparently quite handy back in mark I, not sure if anything's changed for mark II. I've never really looked at General Slaughterborn, but I figure if you're taking the Blood Gorgers he should be a useful addition to them and complement them in some way. Seems a bit silly if he doesn't...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

That second list is a much better, and more interesting one.
    I'd suggest Slaughterborn as the last 3 points.

In 15 points, I really wouldn't ever suggest more than one unit and/or solo, because that isn't really what the game is about.
    Plus, depending on the list, it won't make you too many friends, especially if your group is relatively inexperienced, and especially against hordes (as they need to be taking pretty much just beasts to make the warlock work).
    Having played against a winterguard deathstar w/ iron flesh up at 15pts, I know how brutal it can be... Ouch.

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast