Project - Tau 1500pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Project - Tau 1500pts

I'm sick and tired of playing with gray, plastic models. I want to play with fully painted warriors of the Greater Good that actually have some character and a theme. So I've finally gotten off of my procrastinating arse and have decided to paint my Tau army.

Ok, I've got about 1500 points of unpainted tau guys just dying to be painted in my 40k room. I've already chosen my paint scheme (Light brown armor with tanish-white cloth like the D'yanoi sept). I loathe painting because it requires patience and time, both of which I dont have. I want to get my guys painted quickly but I dont want them looking like sloppy pieces of crap that barely resemble 40k models.

I humbly request that fellow gamers and painting gods answer these novice questions which I put before you.

1) Basecoats. What are the importance of these? Ive read some GW stuff and they're like "Uh, yeah, first we put on a basecoat of graveyard earth followed by bubonic brown and then we add highlights of codex grey, etc, etc." Why do they add the graveyard earth and then put a whole new color on top of it so it doesnt even show?!

2) Water. How watered down should the paints be? Ive heard people like to keep a 1:1 ratio of water and paint but how do you measure the paint and water?

3) Paints. I have the basic GW boxed set of paints and I have been experimenting with them a bit. I do want to know if foundation paints are better. Since painting is a pain to me, Im wondering if I could just buy the foundation paints in the colors I want and just apply them to the model instead of mixing and applying multiple coats of paint. Would the models still look good?

4) Techniques. Ive read the GW painting tips but I want to confirm what techniques look good and what techniques work for you? Also, are there any speed painting techniques that allow models to still look good?

5) Paint remover. In case I mess up, I want to buy some paint remover. Ive heard that Castrol super clean or something like that works well with plastic and metal but costs alot. Are there any cheap paint removers?

The time when playing with unpainted models was okay is over! I shall battle not with plastic, but with my very own tau warriors!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

SK

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

heretical thoughts? ShadowZora13's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    231 (x4)

Hey, I'll try to answer the questions I can for you.

1. Basecoasts like that are important if you prime black and want a light color on top, like red. If you base coat it a mid tone brown you wont need as many coats of red it make it show up smoothly, and it will look brighter. Also base coats apply shading. In your example the darker brown would still show up in the folds of cloth and under armor plates, giving it a look of shadow.

2. I use probably 2:1 paint : water, but as long is it goes on smooth, what ever works for you. But definitely, the way gw sells em, they need some water.

3. Foundation is good for a base coat, as it has more pigment. Using what I mentioned in 1, you can use fondation red over black, and then shade/ highlight that as you want, and it takes much less time, and for you that sounds like a good thing.

4. Ink washes and Dry brushing gets good looks fairly fast. The best advice tho, personally, is keep the model clean. If one color spills over to another, go back and clean it up. I've seen armies with no shading and highlights that still looked decent because they were clean.

5. Castrol Super Clean is what I use, so I don't know about anything cheaper.

Well, thats my 2 cents. I'm not a great painter, but I'd like to think I know a thing or two about painting, so there ya go.

"...lest we perish without ever recognizing our peril"
    -Inquisitor Hoth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

basecoats are also important for getting the paint to stick properly, i think youd be good to go with just plain old white as a base. also, dont worry about messing up too bad, youll have to mess up pretty bad in order to not being able to paint over it and having to strip the paint totally.

oh, and dont forget basing your figures before coating them :>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Simple Green. It is a tad on the expensive side ($5 USD for a bottle) but it works wonders.

-J

I'm back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, thank you all. You guys have been great. Right now, Im in the process of assembling a hammerhead/devilfish and Ive been putting the last touches on the rest of my models. I think Ill basecoat them all with black primer and then purchase some foundation paints later.

I'll try to get some pics up (although the technology is beyond me ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tadaa! Pictures. Please excuse the bad pics. Im still an amateur :party:.

This is about half of my army. There are 2 vehicles, 4 crisis suits, 4 gun drones, 9 Stealth suits, and 6 vespid. All the stealths need the paint removed and 2 of the crisis suits have the arm niches filled with super glue. Some of the weapons are glued on too.

This is where the magic is performed. My Warhammer station. Little messy but I like it. This is the other half of my army. 7 pathfinders, 12 kroot, 2 kroot hounds, and 12 firewarriors. Firewarriors are primed black. Everything else is bare.

The stealth suits slowly creep through the dense forest. Only to realise the forest is made out of legos! Yes ladies and gentlemen, I use legos for scenery.

Just a little overview of the situations and problem to come in the near future. Coming up with a plan although I dont wanted to catch the "Analysis Paralysis" disease (kudos to Recklessfable for this term. It happens to me often).

Daily Questions (Questions mainly to myself).
    1) How do I remove paint

2) How do I prime the crisis suits without messing up the floating thing? (Timid solution: wrap tape around floating thing)

Checklist (Merely a reminder for myself)

Progress
    Pathfinders, Kroot, and firewarriors based.

Goals
    Remove paint from stealths
    Base the rest of my models
    Touch up 2 crisis suits
    Prime models (have to wait for weather)
    Buy materials

Ultimate goal
    PAINT MODELS
    This might be a little redundant and Im heavily copying recklessfables format but this thread is mainly for me to keep my motivation up and not to fall into Analysis paralysis. Anyways hope you enjoy!

SK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posting pics of my progress has definitely helped me when it comes to motivation, hope you keep it up as well. It looks like you're off to a good start so far.

Does the floaty thing for the crisis suits mean the clear rod? If so, you might try building up a base around the rod, like a ruined wall or something. Or if you want to stick with the clear rod, just use masking tape to cover it while you prime.

P.S. You board? Those goggles kinda caught my eye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Omnius View Post
    Posting pics of my progress has definitely helped me when it comes to motivation, hope you keep it up as well. It looks like you're off to a good start so far.
    Thanks. Lot of work ahead but I think I will manage.

Does the floaty thing for the crisis suits mean the clear rod? If so, you might try building up a base around the rod, like a ruined wall or something. Or if you want to stick with the clear rod, just use masking tape to cover it while you prime.
    Yeah its the clear rod. I was thinking of wrapping the rod in masking tape too although I wasnt sure how it would work.

P.S. You board? Those goggles kinda caught my eye.
    Snowboarding is my life man! I go whenever I can. Do you board as well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The masking tape should work, but then again, I've never really tried it with miniatures. Thats just what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by esSKay View Post
    Snowboarding is my life man! I go whenever I can. Do you board as well?
    Heck ya I board! This winter I'm moving to a place about 20 minutes from the mountain so I can work there, go to classes occasionaly, and ride everyday. I'm freakin out man!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Regarding basecoats, I personally do NOT recommend spraypaint because I hate to spray things, but many other players swear by it, and if you're looking for QUICK results start with a spray. GW has a number (though not as many anymore) of its paints available in cans, but there are other products out there just as good. Ask around.

The GW guys do not paint over the basecoast completely. Usually, the technique is to leave a little in the cracks/crevasses, to simulate shading. You could try picking the darkest color you will wind up using, spraying the whole model, then painting lighter colors on other surfaces (this is where GW's foundation paints would come in handy.)

Another option is to spray a lighter color, then use dark ink/paint washes to fill in the cracks. Essentially the reverse of the above technique. Either way, you'll need to do a highlight afterward, but spraycoating a primary color on the model is a good way to speed up the process.

Course, I find the faster I go, the more disappointed I am with the results in the end.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast