Librarium Online Forums banner

[Tale of Painters] Angels of Fire SM Bikes

14K views 132 replies 31 participants last post by  GLD1 
#1 · (Edited)
I'll use this thread to post all WIP stuff I do on my army, and to posts my list/painting schedule. I don't know how often I will update with pics, cause I never think to take them while painting, but we shall see.

OK, onto the army.

The Angels of Fire are a semi-DIY chapter, inspired by one of the marines from the GW list of chapters, under the same name. I just took that and built my army around it. Here is the GW chapter I took inspiration from.

As the title says, this is a bike army themed around the "Be Swift as the Wind" trait. It is meant to be a fun army, tho I would like to make it as competitive as possible in the confines of my unit choices. Here is my current list with the last 150 pts listed as possible options at the end.

TRAITS
-Significant Divergence
--Be Swift as the Wind
--Honor Your Wargear
---Aspire to Glory
----Die Standing

HQ
-Reculsiarch - 167
--Bolt Pistol, Bike, Terminator honors, Frag grenades

Codicier Librarian - 152
--Bolt Pistol, Bike, Terminator honors, Frag grenades, Might of Heroes/Fear of Darkness

TROOPS
-Bike Squad 1 - 221
--5 Bikers
---Sergent w/ Power Fist and Bolt Pistol
---2 Meltaguns
-----Skilled Riders

-Bike Squad 2 - 221
--5 Bikers
---2 Meltaguns
-----Skilled Riders

-Bike Squad 3 - 221
--5 Bikers
---2 Meltaguns
-----Skilled Riders

ELITES
-Veteran Bike Squad - 236
--5 Bikers
---2 Meltaguns (sometimes Flamers)
-----Skilled Riders, Furious Charge

-Veteran Devastators 1 - 266
--7 Marines
---4 Lascannons
-----Infiltrate

-Veteran Devastators 1 - 266
--7 Marines
---4 Plasmacannons
-----Infiltrate

FAST ATTACK
-Attack Bike Squad 1 - 134
--2 Attack Bikes
---2 MultiMeltas
----Skilled Riders

-Attack Bike Squad 1 - 134
--2 Attack Bikes
---2 MultiMeltas
----Skilled Riders

HEAVY SUPPORT
WhirlWind - 85

WhirlWind - 85

WhirlWind - 85

Total pts-2238 With most expensive weapons for squads (Multimelta attack bikes, meltas instead of flamers on veteran bikers).

Please give criticism on the list, but know that I am not likely to change much on it, and that I also have the option to switch out Attack Bike Weapons and the flamers on the elite bikers for meltas if I wanted some variety. I just don't like how expensive my squads are atm and more pts is scary.

OK as for painting, I have 2 test models done, a devastator marine and a Biker. Both will likely be stripped as I mess with my scheme, but here are some old, sorta crappy pics I took a while back on my old camera.

Very dirty looking, because I used ink, and I want to retry with blending instead, as that looks so much nicer.

Here is my planned schedule [edited 12-10-07],

Oct
Serg, 2 meltas, 1 reg biker, 187 pts

Nov
Want to build rest of army, so nothing planned here, but might shift things around

Dec
bike squad 2 -Serg, 1 Melta, 1 reg, Attack bike, 208 pts

Jan
squad 2- 2 bikers, 1 melta biker, Attack bike, 179pts

March
Chaplain and 2 Reg bikers, 200pts

April
Bike squad 3-Serg, 2 Melta, attack bike, 220pts

May
3 WW, 255 pts

June
Squad 4, vets- Sergent, 2 meltaguners, 1 reg biker, 199pts

July
Librarian, attack bike, 1 vet reg biker, 254pts

August
7 devastators, 266pts

September
7 devastators, 266pts

Good Luck to all involved and I hope I can get this done...:)

See less See more
#2 ·
Well sorry for being so quiet and just lurking around the past 2 months, but I have been working, and looking at everyone else's stuff, and great work to all of you.

Heres my First entry, since I forgot to put it up back on Nov 1.

During November I spent my time building my squads, and now I have my entire list built save for the 5 regular bikers of the final squad (I am waiting for some new bikes to come, as the ones I have are in a somewhat nasty condition, dang ebay...)

It took longer than expected to build these darn marines, about 10 days longer, so now I only have 21 days to get my 2nd entry done. I know I could just slack off and use the free December Joker, but I want to make up for the joker I used last month, so if I can, I'm gonna do this squad all the way.

Heres hopping...

Anyways, this month is as follows.

1 Veteran Sergent, 1 Melta Gunner, 1 Regular Biker and 1 Attack Bike with Multimelta: 208 pts

Here is a progress shot of them primed. I promise to keep some more progress shots and actually participate in the fun part of this project, sharing your work as you paint.

And on a last little note, the schedule I have is gonna be updated in the first post now that I know how things are working for me with all this.

#3 ·
Heres a quick WIP shot of the riders. They are almost done, just need some touch up and then their rivets and flames go on last when the bikes are ready. Bikes need the metals and wheels painted before they are ready, I'll get a WIP shot of them in a bit.

comments and/or criticism?

#7 ·
Ok heres an update. Bikes are all done up to the flames step, so that means I can start on them.

I'm thinking of keeping a step by step log of the flames, and makign a quick litle tutorial, so look for that maybe.

Detail of the screens which I am pretty happy with.

Thanks for looking.

Expect the flames to be done by friday, seeing as how I just got off school today.

#8 ·
I like some of the screens of the bikes.. not all! Some of the screens are like they are a little 'broken' during fight and they are showing 'things'... but that's just me!

On the other hand you have done a wonderfully firm and nice red... can't wait to see the flames on and the tutorial! ;)

#9 ·
What do you mean by "broken?" Anyways, I know they aren't the best freehand, but I like em.

As for the flames, my relatives showed up a bit early than they were going to, so I am going to be lucky to get all the flames done today. And even if I do, I'll probably get the little flame tutorial up tomorrow anyways.

#10 ·
What do you mean by "broken?" Anyways, I know they aren't the best freehand, but I like em.
I meant as if the screens had some damage and they are showing weird things on them... and I have never said they are not good... just a little weird for my personal taste.

Apart from that... when it is possible and not time consuming... for the tutorial. I want to see the differences between your technique and mine... 0:

#11 ·
Ok. Heres my entry for the January Deadline.

and a shot of the army as a whole:

Kinda depressing looking considering its only 2 months worth.... But I'm happy with how they look for the most part. I'm thinking they look a little messy so for next month I am going to try to replicate the same look without all the dirty-looking ink washing and sloppy highlights.

And here is a little retrospective on how my painting has changed. One of the bikers from this month was the same model I used as a test model for the paint scheme. Here is a side by side to see how I have improved upon my scheme.

I'll try to get that tutorial up soon, but I have other things to do too, so we'll see. Not top priority. I got the pics, and I know what I'll write, so when I get time, I'll get it done.

#16 ·
Update!

Holy crap! I've got an update!

Ok seriously, sorry for forgetting about this project log... Just kept forgetting to take pics, and besides, no one really wants to see the same thing every month...which is what this all comes down to. That and my models don't look good at all until they are in the final steps, mainly the flames.

So for the bikes at least I'm just going to post updates on progress if I remember, and for the more unique stuff I'll have WIP shots (devastators, chaplain, Whirlwinds).

Speaking of which now that I got caught up on my deadlines, I'm gonna start March's deadline of 2 bikers and the Chaplain, and I have a very early WIP shot, but more on that in a sec.

Oh and towards that tutorial on how I do my flames...we'll see.

What would have been the Feb 1st Deadline, but will be used as my March entry:

Pic of army in will be in the ToP entry topic.

OK onto Chaplain goodness:

Where else should I have red? I was thinking knee pad, but the better one, the right one, has a skull on it, and would drown out the red, and the left knee would look odd, with the left shoulder also red.

Also, the fuel tank, what are peoples thoughts of that being red?

Keep in mind that the whole model will have ample amounts of flames on it.

Thanks for looking. Expect lots of WIP on him, as I am going to enjoy this model.

#17 ·
I like the update... I had started to get sad because of no updates for some time! But you have made a progress... and I like it!

For the Chaplain though I think only the shoulder pad is good for red... the basic color for their armor is black, from every Chapter's fluff, so I wouldn't change that!

#18 ·
Quick update.

Right knee pad is red. I like it. Check this out for the idea. Still thinking about the fuel tank...if it should be red w/ flames, or just have flames. Either way it will look sufficiently fire-y I think.

Also, blacks are highlighted now. Looks good, but I wonder if my camera would even be able to pick it up, so I'll wait for pics till I have some more details done.

Also, what are peoples thoughts on purity seals? Because of the red models, the purity seals on my sergeants and other models are green wax, but should I do that for my chaplain and his ridiculous amounts of seals, or do the traditional red wax seal?

#19 ·
If you're looking to add some more red, you could paint his gloves or elbow pads red. However, I think it is going to look striking with just the red shoulder pad and if I were you I would make that the only red highlight.

I think painting a bit of red on the bike, like on the chaplain, is going to make the model really pop and tie it into your army. In a similar vein, I think you should paint the purity seals the same color as the rest of your army for the sake of continuity.

#20 ·
OK finished the metal work on most of the bike and chaplain, along with some details-gloves, skull and book on back of bike.

As you can see, the picture quality is no good, and that was with no flash. So before you see any more updates I am going to find a better way to get a good flashless picture. Because the flash makes all my black highlighting stand out waaaaaaaayyy too much... As you can see here...

The highlighting is not that prominent in normal lighting, so I don't plan on taking any pics of it like that, so I can't use flash, but flashless gave me the first pics, which are very dark and blurry, so i need a better lighting solution. Check back in a few days for another pic cause I don't think I'll be able to get better lights very soon.

#21 ·
Please excuse the double post...

More progress! Behold:

Lighting solution and picture quality has become acceptable to me.

Now... the crozius head, I am at a dilemma on how to paint it. Would gold look good, or a marble white, with codex-fortress gray shading? I'm leaning towards the marble look, but I don't know how that would fit with the rest of the model... hmmm

Thanks for looking.

#22 ·
It seems as though I'm the only one posting on my own blog, but thats fine...

So I finished up my Chaplain today, and I am very happy how he turned out. Also have 2 bikers that I painted up last month with that months deadline, and just didn't take pics of since it was part of a different deadline.

Hope you like him. This was my first attempt at highlighting black, and I like how it turned out, though I might not do as much layering on my Iron Hands marines that I will be painting who knows when... On that note, I'll let you guys know whats next for me after this project is done.

Firstly I have a smallish 13th co SW force that I got for next to free after selling off some necron stuff. Its all new unbuilt, but its small enough and likely to obsolete soon, so thats my next project, and I plan to do a more vibrant speed paint style of layering when painting those and the next project, which is my Kroot Mercs. I have had the beginnings of them for a while, but they never got off the grounds before I kept buying more stuff, so I want to get them out of the way as soon as my SW are done. Lastly is my IH which I bought years ago and have yet to see any lovin' except for a half built Dreadnought and a few test painted models. After all that I'm looking forwards to maybe some IG with tanks if they get a new dex, but thats probably 2-3 years down the road. problem is I'm going off to college after summer, so I am not sure how much time I will have for painting. Should be interesting though.

Well thats what I will be doing AFTER I finish these bikers. Expect some WIP shots of my next squad, which is the last of my regular bikers-2 melta gunners, a serg, and an attack bike. After that is my veteran biker squad, the devs and the 3 whirlwinds. I can see the end of this project now, as right now is probably the middle, and its all down hill from here on out, right? Someone remind me to take a comparison picture of my painted stuff vs my unpainted when I do my next army shot for April. should be very motivational.

#23 ·
ive been lurking in this thread for some time and i have to say i am astounded at the quality of your red and flame theme. And the small fact your painting those god awful bikes (hates the models)

however, you've managed to hook me in and this is the thirst thread i check evrytime i log on to LO.
i just thought i'd show this thread some love since no-one else has - Your highlighting of the black on the chappy is brilliant, i've done BT's and never been able to master it so for that i salute you.

- Tib

#25 ·
I was lurking and responding from time to time...

To tell you the truth... he is awesome! A very nice highlighting and flaming effects... ;? It is not how I had him in mind... he is better!

#27 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback. Thats the kind of stuff that akes me like painting, even when it gets tiresome and boring painting the same models over and over (started work on the 16th-19th bikes out of 25 in total). Hopefully support like that and the alure of more interesting models like my whirl winds, will keep me going and finish this project.

In other news, I've been working on finishing building my librarian biker. Hes got some green stuff work on him, which I am satisfied with for the purposes of this project. just need to glue on some rivets/studs, and a few purity seals then I'll prime him and get pics up.

Also, I've been playing around with the idea of adding a 4 man suicide scout/reg biker squad so tank busting using extra bitz and a few of the remaining bikes that are in really bad condition that I have. When I bought my Biker army, I got a lot of used bikes, some of which were in really bad shape, so I got a raven wing battle force to replace those bikes that were too beat up (warped, too much glue, primer wrinkles). I did end up having to use a few that were pretty bad, and those were my last entry of just bikers(Post #11). It's not noticeable too much, but those ones had some cosmetic defects that are visible under close up scrutiny. Then this librarian and a techmarine I plan on building are also using the best of the worst bikes I had left over, which left me with 4 more that were in one piece, so I think I am going to sprue them up with lots of random bitz to hide the damage, maybe some cammo netting, put some converted power armor marines on and call em scouts with meltaguns/bombs and run a cheap 4 man tank buster squad.

But enough of my ramblings, I should really get back to my librarian, since he's so close to being ready for primer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.