Librarium Online Forums banner

The Tweaker's Guard WIP

20K views 105 replies 28 participants last post by  danjones87 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm not going to lie. This is in no small part to motivate me to finish my guard. In one month, Cyric is going to get a Jackal Titan. I've promised that I won't start my Mars Pattern Warhound until he get his so we can do 'em together. As soon as that happens everything else will get pushed to the back burner I'm sure. Either way we'll keep you updated with plenty of pix.

So this is my old Imperial Guard Army, ‘The 104th Boom Town Ratz.’ I started these guys long ago and based them off of a hive world based army. There are some sweet old minis in there and some very cool and fluffy squads that I’m quite proud of. The ‘First to Die’ Penal Legion, Rough Riders mounted on Wolves complete with a converted Commissar to lead them. A full sniper squad. Several tanks. Lots of necromunda figs. I think I even have an old fig eating a grox burger in there somewhere.

So now I’m building my new guard, ‘Air Cadia.’ The Seventh Cadian Airborne. Also geared for urban combat, but much more clean and professional. Everything is geared towards recon and can deep strike. And if I may say so, much better painted. Not too many cool conversions as of yet, aside from the one lead sentinel. It does have one slightly broken Valkyrie High Wing.

My plans are to flesh out the Cadians in such a way that they can play on their own and then join the Ratz for Apocalypse games. So it would be nice if they could compliment each other. After that, I start adding the Inquisition figs.
I have several models for the Cadians waiting in the wings. I have two ten man troop squads, an anti infant squad, an anti tank squad, a mortar squad, the rest of my HQs and three basilisks. Oh, and that Mars Warhound Titan. Next up are my HQ units.

Gimmie your thoughts, questions and answers. Colors schemes, composition and paint jobs as well as any input on taking pix of minis (these were taken in the middle of a snow storm.) C'mon, I can take it.

-Jake

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Huh... this army looks familiar, in a squishy kind of way.

I've given you my thoughts on these guys a few times, but I'll say it again - I think your bases are too plain. Overall you've got a simple but appealing color scheme for your air cav, and what you've done is looking great. But to me, the plainness of the bases is a distraction. Otherwise, I think your army is enough to make any teacher proud.

Lil Tweaker said:
It does have one slightly broken Valkyrie High Wing.
For those of you wondering, that would be my fault. As Tweaker and I were heading to a game, some boxes shifted in the back seat of his SUV. When I opened the door to retrieve these boxes, a couple of them fell out, and we heard the sound dreaded by gamers everywhere - the sound of minis smashing and scraping against pavement.

I seriously almost vomited at that moment. I felt horrible. However, let this be a lesson to all about carrying valuable figures in unsecured open-topped cases.

#7 ·
To answer a couple of questions, the high wing variant of the Valkyrie was developed for urban warfare in order to utilize the door gunners to their fullest extent. They are fairly rare due the necessity of tech stabilizing systems needed to make up for the vertical wing stabilizers. –Ok, I thought it was ridiculous that the door gunner’s field of fire consists entirely of underside of the wings and the external fuel tanks.- It should also be noted that these stabilizing systems can be temperamental and on it’s initial flight test they suffered a catastrophic failure. This is the sad story that Cyric told. Frankly, it’s not really his fault and I can fix it. If the roumors about plastic Valkyries are true, maybe I can get some new landing gear (all I used was the feet.)

Thanks for the comments. As for the bases, I promise they will all be done in grand style as soon as I have every mini I own painted up.

#10 ·
Hq

The HQ units are done. My General and two platoon leaders along with their respective squads. Whaddaya think?

Still not sure how to get the most out of them in a game, as they make a pretty expensive suicide squad. The face shields on the special weapon members are Kroot shoulder pads. Man, the camera is unkind. They look so much better at arms length on the table. That standard bearer looks like somebody took a leak in his family genepool.
Now I gotta figure out what to tackle next. I probably should knock out a ten man infant squad next, but fixing up and finishing that Valkyrie would be much more fun. ‘Course I wanted to put together that anti tank team …and then there are those Basilisks…
As always, input is appreciated.

#33 ·
That standard bearer looks like somebody took a leak in his family genepool.

You definitly deserve a rep for that...

*poke* I've a Warhound too but you still gotta paint some fools to stand around and get shot while the Titan annhilates everything else on the table...

#12 · (Edited)
The camera looks pretty kind to me
Thanks. You don't think it makes me look fat?
Note to self, shooting black armor on a dark background = ungood.
As for that sister, hey, it takes a while for a gal to get painted up right and lookin' good.
Thanks for your comments all.

#13 ·
...Three months later.

Tale O’ Painters has got me all fired up to paint some guard. So, Scooter is being put on the back burner -not too far back though. ;)

Here’s my list for the current Tale o’ Painters.
Doctrines are:
Drop Troops
Iron Discipline
Carapace Armor (Jury’s still out on this one, the only time I’ve ever been impressed by a 4+ save is when someone else is rolling for it.)
Storm Troopers
Special Weapon Teams

HQ
SRO (P Sword, bolt pistol,) Medic, Banner, Grenade Launchers x2

Special Weapons Team: Demo, Melta x2
Mortar Squad
Anti Tank Squad: Lascannons x3
Fire Support Squad: HB x3

TROOPS
JO (P Sword, Plasma Pistol,) Plasma x2
Squad x10 :Grenade Launcher, Rocket Launcher
Squad x10 : Plasma Gun, Auto Cannon

Armored Fist x10 : Melta
Chimera: Extra Armor, Smoke

FAST
Sentinel: Auto Cannon, Armored Crew Compartment
Sentinel: Heavy Bolter Armored Crew Compartment

HEAVY
Leman Russ Demolisher: Lascannon, Plasma Cannons, Track Guards
Basilisk
Basilisk

ALLIES
Witch Hunter: A whole bunch o’ crap –geared towards assault.
Land Raider

So this is the rough list. Points is 2000-ish. I suspect there will be lots of tweaking as we go. I’m experimenting with carapace armor as opposed to hardened fighters, but I’m still not sure about either one. Either way, gimmie your thoughts. I've been assembling like a mad man, and in an attempt to assemble and then adjust my chimera, I ripped off the rear lasguns, tearing a hole in the hull. Oops. Can you say, "Conversion time"?
This month I’m doin’ the rocket launcher squad and the fire support teams. Almost done, pix to follow.
Maybe at some point I’ll be able to squeeze Scooter in too.
-J

#14 · (Edited)
Here is the latest squad to get painted. I have spades and diamonds, these guys are hearts. I like the rocket launcher which I used Catachan legs for. I sculpted the bottom on the Cadian jacket over the legs and it looks good on the tabletop, but wont pass any close inspections.

My focus right now is getting stuff painted. TOP2 has inspire me to get my stuff on the table and do it quickly. Previously I overbrushed a black/shadow grey mix over the black armor and then did highlights with shadow grey (on the left). This time I did a very quick one step layering process (on the right.)

On this one, the new layered trooper has the Heart, the old overbrushed one has the diamond.

Personally I think I was too quick about it. I like the fact that the black armor is BLACK, but the lines are too harsh for me. Input appreciated.

Things to come...

What say you then?

#17 ·
Nice work. I prefer the overbrushed guys as well. Perhaps a slightly heavier drybrush on the edges may give an effect in between the two which should be a nice middle ground. I have experimented lots with various techniques but I find that a thin wash (in this case black) followed by a line along the edge of the highlight colour (in this case shadow grey) whilst teh paint is still wet is a quick wet blend method that gives a nice crisp effect.

Hope that helps

A

#20 ·
Oh look! An update!

Recent stuff. One squad with a grenade launcher and a rock-it launcher, carapice armor and all the trimmings. These guys you've pretty much seen.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh46/crosshairmonkey/BrokenHearts.jp

The fire support squad with bunches of boltery goodness. Just got these guys done. My favorite bit is the ammo belt feed.

#21 ·
Oh look! An update!

Recent stuff. TOP has kicked me back into gear. One squad with a grenade launcher and a rock-it launcher and all the trimmings. These guys you've pretty much seen.

The fire support squad with bunches of boltery goodness. Just got these guys done. Tried to tone down the highlights and put a bit more time into them. It would be soo much more practical to put my heavies on cav bases, but I love the diroma aspect. I always try to put in a bit of story on each one. My favorite bit is the ammo belt feed.

#26 ·
Thanks for the support guys.

I really think you should make some holes in the ends of your guns.

How can you try to make a story of the bases when they "can't even shoot" :D
*reps*
That would explain the BS of 3...

When is the last time someone told you your army is sexy?
Oh baby... if only this kinda sexy worked on my wife!

-J

#27 ·
Dear All Concerned,

Well, these look fantastic! Although not much C&C to give, I just thought I'd drop by and comment on the quality of the figures.

Nice Job!

-ythc

#28 ·
Hey look! Another Squad!

A new squad.

Thanks to Luc at GW Colorado for the Kroot shoulder pads. Now Private Pile here can have an open casket funeral next time his plasma rifle overheats.

I was gonna do more, but then I got season three of Battlestar Galactica... and it looks like I won't be doing much else for about a week I'd say.

-J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.