Blood Angels Terminator Captain, Advice wanted (Pic Heavy) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, whenever i'm painting models I always try to get them to a good standard with high lights, shading etc even on a bog standard troop. When ever I get to a hero model I always spend that extra time to make it stand out from the army, seeing as they are the most important. I've recently started up a Blood Angels army and i've come to painting the commander, but I want to make it even better than I ever have before and i'm interested in spending a lot of time on it. By no way am i saying i'm a pro painter! I just like to put a lot of effort and time into my models What i was hoping was that you guys could give me some advice on how to make it even better.
    Currently the things i'm worried about with this model are:
    The power armour: At the moment it just looks flat and boring, I have added shading with some brown ink washes, but it just looks plain.
    The robe: I have no idea how to paint this! I'm stuck on what colours to use and how to do it, as with my previous experience of a robe it turned out awful.
    The Sword and Storm Bolter: Sorry to have to use this word again, but they just look plain. The gold on the eagle hasn't turned out as good as it could be as i'm having trouble with the high lights on it. I painted it with shining gold, then i gave it a brown inkwash but when i tried to highlight the gold after it just turned out to be a mess covering up all of the ink. The sword needs some flare adding to it but I can't pinpoint it.
    The Gold Eagle on the leg: Same problem as the eagle on the gun

The model at the moment is about half way done, and is pretty rough in places (but that will all be tidied up at the end), but there's no point going on at the moment until I get some feedback
    Pictures:

I'm quite happy with the skin as it seems to look better in the flesh than in the pictures Also I was thinking about having a nice base for it but I couldn't decide what I wanted. Any comments and criticism are welcome, especially advice on how to improve things! I'll be sure to update this when it's finished. I want this to be the best thing ive painted so far!
    Thanks a lot 8Y

Please keep all images under 800 pixels wide. - KU

Last edited by Morin; April 12th, 2008 at 01:03. Reason: Pictures made smaller

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you prime the mini? It looks like you're painting on base pewter which can mess up even the best paint jobs.

For super easy highlights try drybrushing slightly lighter color. IR if you have a base armor of pure Blood Red, try mixing a little orange into some red, and then dry brush it very lightly. Obviously there are much better ways to get highlights with blending and such, but drybrushing is super easy.

Have you watered down your inks? If you didn't you are really just painting with them, they need to have a decent chunk of water in there to thin them out so the only really settle in the cracks.

For the weapons, I usually do a quick drybrush/wash and done on guns, swords get a basecoat with slightly drybushed edges and then some blood splatter on one edge to give it some flair.

I'm not the best painter, and I wish the LO que would hurry up so I could show you what I mean with my mini's, but when you just start out, drybrushing is a HUGE help for gettign decent looking mini's, that and washes... Go Go Wonderwash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep it's primed white, most of the silver that is on the power armour has got their due to me accidently getting some chainmail silver I think it was on there by accident , or areas where i've tried to see if making the power armour look weared and teared would look good but that method didn't work it, but thats all cleaned up now I did add some water to the ink but maybe not enough...
    Last edited by Morin; April 12th, 2008 at 01:00.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    273 (x3)

When I was in art school, I asked one of my teachers, "How do I do ( X ) well?" He said, "Go to you desk and start doing a bunch of them, when you have finished 100 of them, I'll tell you." Needless to say, after I had 100 of them done, there was no need to ask any more questions. In other words, practice, practice, practice! Don't get discouraged. Read WD and practice some more. You will develop your own style of highlighting and you'll get much faster. -Now that I've beaten that horse into the ground, see if you can get your hands on GWs 'how to pain miniatures' book. It is worth its weight in gold to newbies and old vets alike. It goes into all your questions and more in great detail. Anyone who is serious about painting should beg, barrow or steal this book!
    -J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking about picking that up, but at the moment I've only got how to paint space marines which is really only helpful for painting the troops and tank...but i'll go and pick it up today if you reccommend it. Thanks for the advice! There is one thing I was thinking about doing though and here's the guide. http://ca.games-workshop.com/Communi...ainters-VH.pdf I'm not too sure how it would work without trying it but i'll give it a go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You seem to have some skill there at least! With some practise you could get to a pretty respectable standard 8Y Heres a guide to painting blood angels which is a great introduction to dry brushing and ink washing aswell!

EDIT: lol i forgot to post the link Warhammer Painting and Modeling Section
    Last edited by Kazuo_Kiriyama; April 12th, 2008 at 14:20.
    ----------------------------------------------
    IRON CHEF SCENEY II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

Just thought i'd point out that you're going to have to mount him on one of the larger bases, as the newer terminators have been mounted on them and as he's the old termie captain he comes supplied with the old termie bases - gives you a lot of space to make a nice base, though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was wondering why it came with 2 bases I'll leave it on this base while I'm painting and start doing something on the other one to snazz it up. I've redone most of the back, which is basically the power armour. The ink washes I had done before were too heavy so i redid them and now they're more subtle and i've done some extreme highlights on the ummm...bits that stick out on each power armour plate You can't see them that well in the photo though

+ Reply to Thread