Librarium Online Forums banner

Knape's Project Thread - Waaaagh

8K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Knape97 
#1 · (Edited)

Waaaaaaagh

Welcome one and all to my project thread. Now, having been out of the scene for a while I have decided to return to the hobby. Unfortunately however only after having sold, gifted, or scrapped my entire collection of models, books, paints... the works. Anywho, I am now aiming to start an army that I always wanted to do, but never quite managed to do. Night Goblins.

My problem has always been buying a mass of figures and never painting them all, so I am hoping this thread will focus me nicely. I am by no means a "great" painter, but I think I do OK. Just don't go expecting works of art.

Anywho, Here we go!

In Progress
- Night Goblin Archer Unit (20 Night Goblins, 2 Complete) (Pic1)
- Night Goblin Squig Hoppers (6 Squig Hoppers, 0 Complete)

Finished
Heros
- Night Goblin Shaman (Pic1)
Core
- Night Goblin Spear Unit (30 Night Goblins with Full Command) (Pic1) (Pic2)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
So my first update, well not really an update more just not wanting to clutter up my opening post :)

I know my aim was not to buy a billion figures and end up with loads of unpainted figures, but I got 65 models from eBay for £15! They all need to be stripped of paint, and are the 6th edition starter box Orcs mostly but for that price i couldn't pass them up.

Since getting Skull Pass a week or so ago I have been painting up my Night Goblin Unit. Rather than 2 small 20 man units I am going for a single 36 man (gobbo?) unit with full command. Am hoping to get the last 7 finished up tonight so that I can move onto the Orcs :D
((Edit: I got tired of painting Gobbos, so this unit is going to stay at 30 for the time being.))

As my OP said I am no great painter, but here are my first load of pics

Night Goblin Command

Night Goblin Unit

I also decided I didn't want a Goblin Big Boss in my force, so did a very basic conversion which I think turned out OK. Chopped off the top of his great weapon and put on one of the small Bad Moon icons from the Skull Pass markers to make a staff. Looks alright IMHO and gave me a free Shaman.

Night Goblin Shaman

#4 ·
The skin is flat :) Only one coat of Knarloc Green and nothing else. The whole paint scheme is very basic with no real highlights, partly because they are small and fiddley, but mostly because for rank and file I go for overall unit apperance rather than each model being a work of art.

Next time I am in GW I will probably pick up some ink for them to give them some more definition. That should make them look a bit better and I will need that for the Orcs anyway.

#6 ·
Knape97,

First of all, nice work on your army. I have painted my Vampire Counts Crypt Ghouls Knarloc Green, and highlighted them (as I get the time) with Gretchin Green followed by a 1:1 mix of Gretchin Green to Kommando Khaki. I personally like the look, and I'm a big fan of Foundation Paints.

Good job on the free-hand banner, too.
Can't wait to see that Troll painted. ;)

Drey

#7 ·
Good job on the free-hand banner, too.
Would love to be able to do freehand like that, but it is alas moulded so all it took was a little drybrushing.

Thinking about it I have some Snot Green and Scorpion Green which I may experiment with on one unlucky gobbo. Maybe a simple 50/50 mix of those two just lightly drybrushed across the face and hands?

#8 ·
Knape97,
Heh, didn't know it was molded on. :)
Anyhow, I wanted to upload some of my Vampire Counts when I get some good shots. I use a Dark Angels Green/Snot Green/Scorpion Green colour scheme on them, which might look great on Orcs and Goblins as well.
I hope to get them up some time next week, if you want an idea of the outcome.

Drey

#10 · (Edited)
Just a little update today.

Decided I was bored of Night Goblin Spears and so downsized the unit from 36 to 30 and so that is all finished up now. Started working through cleaning the eBay Choppa Orcs (pics later in the post) and while they were sitting in the Brake Fluid I gave one of the NG Shamans a go. Like the spears this could do with some shading using the new ink washes so next time I go to GW that will be on the shopping list, but for now he is classed as finished. Good enough for gaming at least.

Night Goblin Shaman

Now for those Choppa Orcs...

Choppa Orcs as recieved...

...Choppa Orcs after a nice little bath

Now I just need to speand some time painting these up and stripping the rest down. Am aiming for a unit of 30 overall, but the plan is to paint up the first 10 and then move to something different (probably some wolf riders) to break up the task.

#12 ·
Please give the recipe for cleaning those orcs! =)
Pretty easy, Brake Fluid :)

Leave the models in the fluid for about an hour, then go over them with an old toothbrush. This starts to get rid of some of the paint, and loosens up the rest. Put the models back in the fluid for another couple of hours and the use the toothbrush again. Wash in warm soapy water et voila!

Best thing is, brake fluid dosn't damage the plastic at all. I have left some models in the fluid for well over 48 hours before and there were no ill effects on details etc.

#16 ·
OK, after a couple of weeks thought it weas time for an update.

Slight change of plan with this army hehe. After two weeks of looking at the orcs, thinking about colours, painting up test models that "didn't look right" I had a little think about what exactly I wanted the army to "be"

Anywho, after a bit of thought I have have decided to do a Night Goblin "themed" army. Gobbos, Squigs, a few Trolls, and then Warmachines with NG Crew. OK, it wont win a lot of battles, but it would be fun to play (I think :S)

All the orcs have been put into the bitz box for use later but I am now going to start work on a unit of 20 Night Goblin Archers with a musician. Am hoping to get some painting done this afternoon so will get some pics up pretty soon :)

#18 · (Edited)
Nahh. I avoid anything with "pro-painted" as most times they are not all that great IMHO, and the times they are great they are far too much money :)

Anywho, finally got a single archer done. It looks alright in person, however the close up photo shows off lots of little bad points. As I keep telling myself though, seeing as I am now aiming for 2000 Pts of Night Goblins not every model needs be perfect and the overall look of units will be far more important:)

Night Goblin Archer

Once I have all 20 of them together I will grab a shot of that and they won't look too bad.

#19 ·
And another little update. The Night Goblin archers are coming on nicely, have 2 Goblins finished and another 3 that just need some final touches and basing.

Happened to be in town at the weekend and popped into GW. BIG mistake, short staffed and they seemed to be doing a 40K funday :S Anywho, picked up a NG Hero blister, and 3 Squig Hopper blisters so that gives me some more to paint.

Started on one of the Hoppers, and so far am pretty pleased.

Squig Hopper WIP

Ignore the Gobbo as he is nowhere near done, but the Squig is pretty much finished. Mechrite Red, followed by Mechrite Red / Blood Red mix, and then finally Baal Red wash. Turned out pretty good I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.