Librarium Online Forums banner

Throne of Skulls - 2008 40 GT - My Story

4K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  GDMNW 
#1 ·
I guess this is the best place to put this thread. If it isn't then please move it if you have the power!

I have read the batte reports, fiddled with the lists and even painted some of the models but I have never entered a tournament before. I have wanted to ever since I started the hobby way back in 1754. I knew then that I was destined to take part in one of these renowned competitions. Well this year I have finally purchased my ticket. Its time to put on my power armour and kick some miniature behind!

Today I booked my ticket to the first heat in October. That means that my first question is this. Are any other members of this forum going to be at the first heat of the 40K TOSGT this year?

The next thing I need to do is explain why I have started this thread. You see, after I put the phone down and scribbled my confirmation number onto a piece of paper I realised that I have a whole lot of work to do before October. Which frankly just isn't that far away. I thought that a thread chronicling the mad rush to design, build, paint, playtest, adjust and then complete the winning army on time would be amusing at the least and absolutely amazing at the best.

I think that 5th is going to be a bit of a leveller. There are some new mechanics that might mean that I will stand more of a chance against those cronies who have been playing for years. Right now all I know is that I am going and that I am hugely excited at the prospect of what is ahead. I think my first job is to come up with a list.

Help and advice would be appreciated. May power armoured men rule the galaxy forever!

See less See more
#3 ·
Musings

Thanks for noticing the date. I thought by putting something amusing in the first post I would at least get some guffaws from people. As it is I am 73 for 1 at the moment. Still, it is a start.

Since I made the first post I have been agonising over the army list. I have set myself tomorrow as a deadline as I am going to be hard pushed to get the army ready anyway. I have been thinking CSMs but I have some loyalist hankering going on too. I have a few nifty ideas up my sleeve which I may well post, then again I may not.

I have also been strategising. I have been running through the possible mission and deployment combinations, trying to work out what the best route to victory is going to be. I feel some relief that no-one else at the tournament will have played a 5th edition UK GT before but at the same time I know that this is my first time playing with the Big Boys.

I thought someone else would have been going to the UK 40K GT but no-one has said anything. Maybe they don't visit this part of the forum.

Anyways. I will be posting the list tomorrow. I wanted to post a scan of my tickets but they haven't, annoyingly, arrived yet. Still that's the way it goes eh?

My thanks to those of you who have taken a look. I know your interest has been kindled. I hope this thread develops the way I want it too. Especially when the modelling and painting is underway in earnest. I want to get the army on the table fast so that I can start getting some practice games in. I don't play 40k all that much so I am going to need all the exposure I can get.

IITWI!

#4 ·
No tickets!

Every day for the last week I have been coming home from work with a feeling of anticipation, wondering if today will be the day when I come home to find my tickets on the floor waiting for me.

Nothing. Nothing has turned up, they should have been here in a day or two.

I call GW.

"Ah yes, sorry about that, we are actually sending them out on the 22nd, there was a little hitch with the printing."

Right.

I only have two models left on the "stick together" list. It's time to start the painting, which should be a bit easier after I nipped out to pick up some badab and devlan. I am looking forward to trying those out.

#5 · (Edited)
To be perfectly honest this isnt the best forum for GT discussion.

I'm going to heat 1 with marines so i'll see you there - i'll be wearing the black shirt with Jezlad on the back heading up with the rest of the Team Heresy guys.

I've done the last 3 UK GT's, not really looking forward to this one - 5th edition isn't an improvement imo. Thats for another thread though.

I'll do my best to offer advice where I can, i've see it all at the GT, laughed my way through the fisticuffs on table one at a heat last year "i'll see you outside!" haha class! Played mostly at the top end (W/L/D record of 17-6-7) I usually mess up on the last game of the day. Bored by then.

Looking forward to seeing your list mate :).

Level this Daemon

[br]Feed Me!

#6 · (Edited)
Ok,

Ok, I played my first test game last night. Won. Barely.

It came down to a cover save in the end. I think I also realised that we hadn't been doing to wound allocation properly. I also learned that managing your opponent is as tough as managing his models. The guy I was playing seemed really keen on moving stuff pretty huge distances, his blast templates his huge numbers of people etc etc.

I am used to playing with a running dialogue for my opponent. Something like this.

"Okay, movement phase. I am going to move this Rhino. Ok, Now this Rhino, he's on a road so I can move an extra 6" since I am remaining on the road the whole distance so that's 18". Neither can shoot as they both moved 12".

and so on.

Then crucially when dice rolling the spiel continues.

OK, my lesser daemons are attacking your dire avengers, you go first as you have the initiative. ... Ok, I can attack back with five, they have x attacks each plus y for charging. so that's z attacks needing 4's to hit. rolls dice. Okay five hit, 3's to wound, nice! okay that's five armour saves."

I thought this was typical but my opponent did two things that made me uncomfortable. First of all he would just quickly roll some dice, no spiel, no explanation, nothing, just some frantic dice rolling. A couple of times I pointed out that he simply had too many dice but that was only when I knew myself how many he was meant to be rolling. The first time he would say anything would be when he would say. "Right, that's three dead and four more armour saves."

I didn't like that at all. Is this common?

The second thing was that he had about 35 of his own bright green dice. He used them all and would gather up the number needed and roll them casually across the table. Nine times out of ten he was rolling in the midst of dice already on the table. I couldn't tell which ones he had just rolled! This was really frustrating and he just wouldn't stop doing it.

Is this common too? What do people do? I kept picking his dice up and point to clear spaces where he could roll but he liked to roll just in front of himself, quickly and with no explanation of what he was doing.

Other than that the game was a lot of fun. I got to test my units and see what worked and what didn't. I am aware that this is only one game so I can't base too much off of it but I think it was a good start. Oooh. A Battle Report. I have never written one of those, I will give it a go.

Battle Number One:

The Opponent: Eldar

I didn't see his army list so I will simply recount what units he had.

Dire Avengers 8 with Exarch with power which removed one attack from all attacking enemies.
Howling Banshees 6 with Exarch
Pathfinders 6 with rifles
Harlequins 6 or 7 no characters (I think)
Eldrad
Falcon with Prism Cannon
6 Dark Reapers with Exarch with quick shot and no cover save powers.
Falcon with 6 Firedragons with Exarch.

Forgive me if my knowledge of the Eldar is pretty patchy. I have never collected Eldar so I don't know my way around them very well. Some of the unit sizes may be within one or two of the actual amount.

My Army

10 CSM Rhino, IoCG, 2x MG
10 CSM Rhino, IoCG PG and ML
9 Chosen 3 x Flamer, PG and AC with fist, IoCG
11 Raptors, AC with fist and 2 Flamers, IoS
Lash Sorceror with Jump Pack
Greater Daemon
12 Lesser demons
6 lesser demons

OK. We rolled capture and control and deployed in a spear head. I managed to steal the initiative but this was largely wasted as he then re-deployed four units via Eldrad. I had deployed the chosen about 12 inches away from his rather packed behind cover so things weren't that bad. He left his tanks at the back and piled everything else together on the small forest that held his objective. I placed my objective the required 24" away on a hill with the dismounted ML squad on top of it. The rest I put as close to the corner as possible with the chosen infiltrating in front of his army behind some ruins. The empty Rhino went in front while the loaded Rhino went on my left, (the outside of the table) to rush forwards and then flank attack him.

CSM Turn One:

As I had seized the initiative I went first. The chosen advanced towards the woods which were about 12" infront of them. The empty Rhino rolled up next to the ruins giving cover saves to about half of my army. My packed Rhino flanked by heading up my side of the table and popping smoke. The raptors jumped up behind the Rhino ready to dive into combat in the next turn.

In the shooting phase I Lashed his pathfinders and formed them into a neat flamer template shape. I then hit all of them three times with the three flamers in the chosen squad. They all bit the dust. This was a bit of a highlight for me as I felt like it was going to be a cakewalk. I was wrong. The real warning was the whole rolling three dice and adding them together for the psycic test. That was painful and I only cast lash once in the whole game. If I could do it again I would have tried harder for line of sight to the harlies or or banshees.

The chosen couldn't then charge anyone as the unit they had shot were all dead. So they just stood there. raptors were out of sight so they were ok and the Rhinos had moved too far to shoot.

The ML failed to hit the Flacon I fired at so my first turn ended with some glamour as the pathfinders were gone, but that was small consolation after this first turn.

Elder Turn One:

Briefer this time

His Banshees and Harlies charged my chosen. six died. I was expecting more but I made a hell of a lot of power saves and his rolling was less than spectacular. I knocked out a couple in reply and then needed the re roll to pass my morale check.

The reapers took out three Raptors despite their cover saves. The falcon with the Fire Dragons moved about 15" and dropped off the squad who promptly immobilised my loaded Rhino. The smoke stopping all but one penetrating hit.

CSM Turn Two:

This turn started well with all three demon units arriving. I dropped the Greater by the stricken Rhino, and both units of lesser by the woods ready to charge the assault units and dire avengers.

The greater took out the Falcon despite needing sixes to hit and the lesser demons were hammered by the avengers and banshees. The Eldar initiative meant that charging was small consolation. I lost all combats. The chosen fled and were cut down, the demons lost about a third of each unit and hung in there thanks to their invulnerable saves.

The empty Rhino tank shocked Eldrad, who jumped out of the way and broke the dark reapers, managing to avoid being immobilised at the same time. Those reapers are pesky varmints!

Turn Three:

At this point the game all fades into a blur. So I am going to do two things. 1 keep notes next time and 2 summarise what happened to each unit.

The melta CSMs shoot all but three fire dragons who shoot back at the rhino, blowing it up and killing themselves in the 6" explosion. What a way to die. They then dash back to my objective as the reapers first slaughter the ML team and then all but the last melta marine who wins me the game by making his final cover save against the reaper fire on Eldar turn six! Hurrah. This squad just never really got engaged enough and I think I need to commit them more intensely in future.

The GD charged the other falcon but fails to even hit it. The rest of the game is spent trying to get into charge range of an eldar unit. It never happens. At one point I missed charging Eldrad by 3 mm. Almost. But then again almost is so far away.

The two units of lesser demons got whittle down but did take out a lot of harlies, avengers and banshees in the process. In the end I had a lone lesser on the enemy objective but there were a bunch of reapers to so it was one to me and none to him.

The raptors took out Eldrad despite him taking out three of them with his singing spear 2s to wound thing. My sorceror on a single wound after failing two psychic tests charged the dire avengers, took them all out but got killed by the exarch who was also I6. I forgot to fire his pistol at the unit. Must remember to do that in future.

The empty Rhino tried to tank shock again but got immobilised and wasn't able to shoot any more Reapers due to some appalling dice rolling.

Conclusion:

In the end I had a greater demon, four raptors, a lesser demon and a single csm with an Icon of Chaos Glory. It was far too close for my liking against an opponent who wasn't so great really...

As always I would appreciate your thoughts...

#7 ·
Ok

Today I came home from a week of camping in windy Norfolk. Yes I took the painting table with me and yes I was pleased to come back and find that my tournament pack had appeared on my doorstep.

It feels more official now.

I have been looking at some of the other threads concerning tournaments and I would love to get stuck into some conversions. At the moment though I think I am going to keep it simple and try to get the stuff I have built ready. If I finish faster than I expect to then I will go back and re-work some of the squads.

Of course if I get through then I will be able to look at making a different list just for the grand final in March 2009, which I might add is when my first child is due.

On another note, I think this may be better off in the projects folder, could someone shift it for me?

#8 ·
Army Update

Ok, I haven't included the transports but I have been able to get the base coat onto about 90% of the GT army. There a long way to go of course but it feels good to play practice games without that "legion of the sprayed" feeling...

Here goes,

I have taken pictures of groups of models rather than showing complete units.

That's the basic marines out of the way, here are the eleven Raptors, I'm still very unsure about this unit. Its a lot of points but it has been great in the practice games so far. Its a big relief in KP games as you have so much tied up in one unit and your opponent only gets one KP for taking it out...

Last but not least is my sorceror model. I am quite please with the way the base is working out. There is a servo skull tucked under the outcropping and I am going to add some other bits and pieces to the army bases if I have the time and the energy when the rest of the work is done.

The images are a little low in contrast as the light wasn't so great. I wanted to show my progress though so if anyone wants to chip in with their thoughts or if anyone else has ever painted an army in stages like this then please share your thoughts.

I'm always open to C & C.

#9 ·
Terracotta

I couldn't help myself. I have spent so long basecoating that I forgot how good it feels to see a model with the highlighting done!

I worked on one of the Raptors last night and caved in. I whipped out the terracotta, put on a general highlight and then a fine detail highlight in orange. It was quick, easy and probably the first bit of work I have done in a month that made me feel that I would be going to Heat One with a painted army after all.

I am going to post the image at the start of this thread as well as here as a sort of sample of things to come image.

Watch this space¬

#10 ·
Ah, the old pre GT rush to finish armies :) Never gets old. xD

I used to go to them, but haven't been able to the past couple of years, including this seasons. :(
Still, maybe next year for me...

Anywho mate, some nice work so far. Hope you get it all finished and ready in time. :D And good luck with the GT itself.

#11 ·
Thanks

Thanks Toastee,

I have been working on bolters today, not much fun painting so many all at once. I am trying to get units done fo#r TOP2 while at the same time getting the army finished for the GT. I am in heat one as I said above which means I have about four weeks to get the painting done and play as many practice games as I can.

I am doing well in practice so far but the painting is taking much longer than I had hoped. I guess I should spend more time painting and less time posting huh?

I will try and get an update up soon!

#12 ·
Some updated images

OK,

So I have been working mainly on the Raptors and trying to get the rest of the army basecoated. The dual pressure of the GT and the TOP II is considerable and so the quality of individual models has been suffering while I try to make sure that my army is legal for entry into the competition as well as getting 200 points ready each month.

Here are the Raptors as they are at the moment.

and the rest of the unit.

Here are some individual images of the Sorceror. I have finished his chest plate and feet and I am now working my way up his legs highlighting his armour. I can't decide how I am going to paint his Force Weapon at present so if anyone has any thoughts I would be grateful.

As always C&C are welcome.

#13 ·
I don't know how far along into the sorcerer's helmet you are, but there is something really haunting and creepy about those bright green eyes peering out that dark face.

Overall I like the models but the guns look unfinished and the shoulder pads are a bit too orange for my tastes. You did say these were WIPs though, so if you're planning on fixing it you should get to it and show us some more photos!

#14 ·
Hey I just finished reading everything up to date. I think your models are coming along really well from what I can tell. My favorite things are the thing on top of the sorcerer (I play fantasy so I don't what it is D:) and I really like the red you are using. How did you get it? is it a red on top of a black, or did you use black wash, or both or something completely different!

#15 ·
Scheme

Paint Scheme,

The biggest problem I have really is the pace at which I am able to paint. Since there are plenty of people here who know what they are doing I thought I would open this up to see what you all think about my method and where I can make some improvements.

Step 1: Black Spray Undercoat, nice and thin
Step 2: Touch up with 50:50 mix of Chaos Black and Black Ink
Step 3: Base coat with Dark Flesh, again nice and thin, repeated until consistent colour achieved.
Step 4: Wash with 70:30 mix of Chestnut Wash and Black Ink
Step 5: Carefully basecoat with Dark Flesh leaving lines and plates etc.
Step 6: General Highlight, liberally highlight with 9:1 Dark Flesh and Flaming Orange.
Step 7: Edge Highlight with Orange
Step 8: Add a few extreme highlights with off white.

That's essentially it for the armour. It looks good but I think it takes too long. My current aim is to bring the whole army to step 5 and then work on completing individual units. None of the models photographed are further than step 5 apart from the sorceror who is part way through step 7. You can see this on his feet in the pictures above.

Thoughts would be really welcome as it is really slow going at the moment.

#16 ·
Steps 1 and 2 are pretty much required and I don't typically think of them as painting stages per say; I usually start counting at the basecoat.

If you're looking for tabletop quality I think you can cut out stage 5. The wash should be collecting in the recesses anyway, and while reapplying the basecoat will really make the shading obvious, highlighting will help do that too.

Again, basing this on the assumption that you're looking for tabletop quality I think you can eliminate one of your three highlighting stages. The shade, basecoat, and two highlights gives you four layers to define the model which should be plenty for tabletop (my elves have a maximum of 4 layers and usually only 3).

Another time saving technique is to actually take models from stage 1 to the end. Getting to do each color layer will help you get better at doing each one. Right now you're learning each stage as you go so it seems like it's taking longer; eventually you'll have no trouble working through the whole thing.

#17 ·
That's the problem

That's the problem. I am looking for something I would term high-tabletop. Cyric is a good example of this standard of painting. You would never put it in for Golden Demon but at the same time every model is good enough to stand up to individual attention.

I want to paint the whole army through each stage so that I get good at each stage, so that it stay efficient and also to make sure that if Heat one rolls around faster than I hope the I will have a legal army to play with, even if all of the work that I would like to do hasn't been completed.

I have spent most of this morning painting and so I will be trying to get some more progress shots up a little later today. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I could speed things up then I am open. For instance I am using washes on all of the weapons so I got most of the base coating on the bolters etc done in about a hour for all of the marines in the army.

I am also going to try and get one of the characters finished, that should act as a sort of poster boy for the army.

In the mean time, comments about the army are welcome.

#19 ·
Pictures

Ok, Here is the army as I took it to the event.

HQ:

Sorceror, 165
Familiar, Jump Pack
Lash of Submission, Mark of Slaanesh, Personal Icon and Doombolt

Summoned Greater Daemon, 100

Elite:

10 Chosen, 275

1x Meltabomb
2x Plasma
2x Flamer
Icon of Chaos Glory, AC with Powerfist

Troops:

10 Chaos Space Marines, 230
Heavy Bolter, Meltagun
Rhino, Icon of Chaos Glory
Aspiring Champion

10 Chaos Space Marines, 230
Heavy Bolter, Meltagun
Rhino, Icon of Chaos Glory
Aspiring Champion

Fast Attack:

11 Raptors, 290
2x Flamers
Mark of Slaanesh
AC with Powerfist

Summoned:

10 Lesser Daemons, 130

6 Lesser Daemons, 78

1498 Points

Let me know what you think...

#20 ·
Argggghhh how did you scoop the idea of having a big mutant on tracks out of my head?
I love your stuff dude, it all looks good. Sorry you didn't get past heat 1. I was really considering doing the G.T this year but I wanted to do a marine army for it so i'm wating till next year's.

Please I ask you a few questions,

1) Whats the points limit for the games?
2) How high is the standard of painting?
3) Do you know if LatD was legal for the G.T?
4) What was the most populer army?
5) I take it the G.T is held at warhammer world?

Like i said i'm planning to do next years so i hope you feel like trying again!

- Boomer

#21 ·
Answers

Thanks,

I had a fantastic time. I am working on a bit of a report so that I can share the experience. As for your questions...

1) Throne of Skulls GTs are 1500 points for 40k. This may well become the international standard so that Tournaments can become international events. At the moment they can't be compared to each other, nor could players switch from one to another because they use different rules etc.

You may take as many points as you wish but may not take so much as a single point over the allocation.

2) The standard of painting is reasonable. You can tell that some armies were painted in a rush for the event but most of the people there are adults so the standard is good. It is low enough hoever that a decent painter willing to put the work in could hope to be nominated for Best Army.

3) LaTD don't have a codex and so are not GT legal. LoTD will legal from the next Heat Onwards.

4) Chaos Space Marines were pretty popular but were probably beaten to the most popular by regular Marines. Loads of marine players. Which is great in the mid to low tables as Marines are easy to fight. You know exaclty where you are. You blow the living daylights out of his troops and they all make their power armour saves, over and over again.

5) You are correct the GT is held at Warhammer World. The only gripe I have about this is that it was so warm. I thought I was going to die...

As for going next year. I have just finished the first draft of my GT list for next year. I am pretty determined to bring a list capable of getting a painting nomination and that means preparation...

#26 ·
I should be clear

I should be clear and say that this is a work in progress. I didn't keep notes at all, something to remember for next year. I didn't even get a photo of eveyrone's armies. But what I do remember I have been trying to write out as fast as possible before it is all lost to the Warp.

With all that said, here goes... O and thanks for the praise of the painting. I have so much work to do on this army but at least a lot of it is up to first highlight level...

Ahem

Day One:

G1 - Steve Capture and Control
Space Wolves Dawn of War
Win 1 - 0

As this was my first game I was quite nervous. My opponent put down three dreadnoughts and a couple of Razorbacks; intimidating if your only long ranged anti-tank weapons are a pair of melta guns. Fortunately the Dreads were armed with twin linked Lascannons, although there was a veteran with a Plasma Cannon. The five inch correction on the blast was absolutely amazing, fortunately as I only had two Rhinos for him to pop before he would have run out of armoured foes. Losing a few marines to some nasty dreadnoughts wasn't too bad in the end.

I contested his objective with my chosen while retaining my own. The Greater Demon turned up just in time to eat the Rune Priest for lunch. I'm not sure he minded losing though as he qualified through to the final by winning the best painted army award later on Sunday. (I think he was pretty confident this would be the case and so the army was not the most effective fighting force in the galaxy...

I was still nervous, his mates told me that he hoped to draw two games and lose four. Not what you want to hear when you are trying to do well in your first GT now is it?

"Sorry mate but the army you just beat was rubbish... you wouldn't have a hope against a real one."

G2 - Seize Ground
Dark Eldar Spearhead
Loss 1 - 0

Not the best way to continue really. I made a horrible error, throwing the Sorceror and Raptors forward out of cover with the intention of lashing his troops into charge range. The move was fine, but I rolled an eleven. His warriors decimated my Raptors on the next turn and that was my primary assault unit gone. I then did my best to hang on to the objectives but was beaten in the end. I'm not sure that his army was better intrinsically. I think it was more the case that he was a better player than me.

Wyches are a real horror to deal with, mind you the squad they charged lasted three rounds of combat, so I can't complain too much. Clearly it was a downer to lose but hey he, four more games to go right?

G3 - (Really cool Italian guy) Seize Ground
Necrons Dawn of War
Win 1 - 0

I did not think I had a chance. Period.

The guy had a monolith, thirteen Destroyers, two units of eleven Warriors and a Lord with a Resurrection Orb and the Veil of Darkness. Phase out was rulesd out pretty early on when he left a unit of warriors WAY over in the corner of the battlefield. Rhinos are quick but not that quick.

Despite the Dawn of War deployment he moved his destroyers on in his first turn and let rip with 39 shots and some terrific range rolling. Let's just say that it really hurt. Cover saves or no cover saves. When he told me they could move and shoot those bad boys I was gutted.

Fortunately for me I lashed a unit of four Destroyers on turn two, locking them in combat and blocking LOS to a fair chunk of my forces. I then got another unit on turn three and another on turn four. So the fire power didn't mean very much then. When I managed to knock them all down in the same round of combat, immobilise his Monolith with one of my two powerfists and his Lord rolled a three of the DS mishap table I knew I was going to win. Although it was horrid when he dropped the Monolith within 12" of all the units in my army...

Nonetheless 2 - 1 to me.

This left me at the end of day one with two wins and a loss. I had a chance of making it through. I hadn't realised how much intirigue there would be around the order in which you win or lose battles. Some players talked about deliberately losing or drawing their first games so that they would find easier opponents in the next round. I didn't know what to think about all this but I could see what they meant as I yo-yoed up and down the tables trying to find my position. I had decided that I would only play the Sunday if I had a chance of getting thorugh and with two wins under my belt I felt that I should stick with it and see how the next day would turn out.

Day Two:

G4 - Tom Ingis Annihilation
Space Marines Spearhead
Draw 7 KPs each

This was the first opponent I faced that I had met before. He worked briefly in one of the stores that I visit from time to time. He had two to three transports a vindicator and five or six 5-6 strong units of marines. including some Devs with 4x HBs and 4xMLs. As well as the famed Dread with TL Lascannon and Missile Launcher.

This was one of the bloodiestgames I played. He ran away while I ran towards him as fast as possible. In then end we drew seven seven, with the game boiling down to whether or not his Heavy Bolters could take out an immobilised Rhino. He managed to score two weapon destoryed result

G5 - Seize Ground
Witch Hunters
Win

G6 - ? Annihilation
Imperial Guard Pitched Battle
Loss 5 - 1 to him.

#27 ·
I was still nervous, his mates told me that he hoped to draw two games and lose four. Not what you want to hear when you are trying to do well in your first GT now is it?

"Sorry mate but the army you just beat was rubbish... you wouldn't have a hope against a real one."
Wait, they said that to you? Well, agreed, not what you want to hear... from anyone.

Still, you seemed to do okay. And at least now you have that experiance.... maybe next year I will return to the GT scene.. and we might even meet on the field of battle! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.