Librarium Online Forums banner

The Tweakers Black Arc WIP

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Cyric the Mad 
#1 ·
Ok, so in my copious free time I'll be playing around with Dark Elves. After a crisis of faith, I’m actually being very good and doing my required IG for the Tale of Painters project. Working on DE is my reward.
I’m glad I did the hydra first because A) It’s a shuper shweet model and B) Had I not been uber excited to do it I would have become very frustrated with all the pinning and green stuff this thing required (and I still have to green stuff the open mouths!) Here it is, it’s cool… in a tedious, painful kind of way. Not for your beginning gamer!

-J
Dark Monkey

See less See more
#5 ·
So I’m just starting to set up my color schemes. I really would like to go with some sort of olive/Camo green and black. When I was looking through the DE book I really liked the color scheme for the cold ones themselves. It seemed to me that the under belly of the beast was close to the color I wanted throughout my army, but after following the painting guide given on the website, its really just Dheneb Stone. Not what I’m looking for. This is the WIP on my test cold one.

It’s not really what I want, but I don’t really know where to go with my beast from here. A wash of Camo green? Leave it be? Start over? Take up crochet? Any what should I do with my army colors?
Honest input appreciated.

-Jake
Cold Monkey

#7 ·
Hey look, it only took two months to finish this one mini! And I gotta say, I don't think its workin' for me. I like both units separately, together, not so much. Like clowns and chainsaws, I think they're great on they're own, put ‘em together and lets face it, clowns with chainsaws only cause problems.

I've added a wash of camp green on the beasts belly. I don't like it. I'll have to get some pix in better light.
I think my army scheme is gonna be black 'lacquered' armor with blue highlights. I've heard that you shouldn't try the glossy look. Really I'm going for more of that samurai look. Cyric pointed out that the rider is a bit 'electric.' I'll probably mellow that out with a black wash. The cold one will get a purple wash, maybe blue to make him match up with the rider.
Thoughts?

-J
Monkey w/ a chainsaw

#12 ·
Thanks for the input all. My game plan was to paint the chest piece and saddle black n blue like the knights and give the green scales a blue wash. BUT Cyric has delivered an offer I can not refuse. He said he was so confident that I would like the purple wash that if I did it and I DIDN'T like it, he would buy me a whole new set of CoKs. So now I will be doing the armor and putting on a purple wash... very, very badly! ;)

Pix to come.

-J
Bad Monkey

#16 ·
Thank you sir, and thank you D.
Here's the new and improved Cok. I really like the black wash over the armor. The purple didn't react the way I anticipated -nor did it lay as evenly as I had hoped. I'm pretty good with color theory. The purple with the yellow-green came out to an overall muddy effect. Now i'm looking at a drybrush of knarloc green, a few touch ups and calling it a day. I think a blue wash at this point will make it too dark. What do y'all think of it at this point. I really like it a LOT more now. The look much better together. Sorry the light inside sux. I'll get some good ones outside tomorrow if I can.

I just hope when this is all said and done I have some idea of how I did it so that I may have a clue of how to do the other four!

-J
CoK Monkey

#17 ·
No, man. You did it all wrong. I see a model, and I want it painted black.

Okay, I'm kidding. It looks really sharp, don't you think?

What do you plan to do to the base? You're going to add some color, right?

Pick out the eyes with yellow, red, or white. A little dot will make the eyes look malevolent, beady, and intent.

So I take it you got your basement fixed?

#18 ·
"-No colors anymore I want them painted black”
The flooding is stopped if that’s what you mean. I'm doing all my painting in the game room which is buried in my GW projects while my art room sits barren. Sooo sad.
Cyric and I debated the eye. I should find some references.
The bases for all of my Dark Elves will have a winter theme. So as soon as I get a unit together, and after I read some of those tutorials, I'll be putting snow down on the base.

-J
Rolling Monkey

#19 ·
I like it much better with the washes, personally - it looks more menacing this way. Purple wash may have been a bit thicker than I would have done, but the end result is pretty striking. Nice job. No free COK's for you. This way is vastly cooler, and much more you - subtle colors and all that.

Regarding the eye, you can show me all the pictures you want of lizards with black eyes. In this case realism buys you nothing. As David said, picking it out will make it look angry and intent. As it stand now the model itself looks (to me anyway) agile and animated until I get to the face - the lack of a distinctive eye makes it seem lifeless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.