Librarium Online Forums banner

Road to the Grand Tournament - Salamanders WIP

3K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  forumjayz 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I finally took the plunge and bought a ticket to Heat 3 of this years UK Grand Tournament. Well, looking at my current Salamanders army (which was rushed - very rushed) I realized that I could not take them to the tournament, as to be honest I am pretty ashamed of them. So...

...I decided to start a whole 1500pts army again from scratch, and thought I would try my best to at least get an honorable mention in the Best Army section. As such every marine will be converted in some way, a lot of them heavily.

I am going to hold off writing an army list until the new 'dex is out, as such I am ftm working on the staple of the list - 3 tactical squads and a command squad.

So here are the images:

Command Squad
Squad:
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa117/turelhimvampire/Picture007-1.jpg
Captain - he needs a lot of work. Yes the mold lines on the hammer will be removed. The thing behind him is a vox amplifier being carried by two servo skulls - more detail to be added here:

Company Champion and Flamer marine:

The flamer marine will also double as Vulkan He'stan when I want to field him, which I may do if the GT allows it.

All my tactical squads are themed to a certain design, with each member hopefully conveying that design. Squad N'dan is themed around holding a defensive position. Squad 2 is themed around (roughly) half the squad laying down suppressive fire whilst the rest of the squad charge between positions. Finally Squad 3 is themed around a combat patrol, with a cautious, almost stealthy appearance.

Tactical squad N'dan - these guys have done the rounds on the B&C already, so nothing really new... OR IS THERE???

Sgt N'dan:

The Squad:
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa117/turelhimvampire/Picture040.jpg
The latest member of the unit, bringing them up to 6 strong:

Tactical Squad 2 - not named the Sergeant yet. :)
Squad (with Vindicator) - if you look closely on the right hand side you can see the 6th squad member, a marine shoulder-charging forward, but none of the pics of him came out well:
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa117/turelhimvampire/Picture006-1.jpg
Sgt and Heavy Weapon:
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa117/turelhimvampire/Picture030.jpg
Fallen marine:
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa117/turelhimvampire/Picture031.jpg
Marine with eviscerator:

Marine kicking down a wall (this guy needs lots of work, and the wall will have loose bricks coming off in all directions:

Tactical Squad 3 - again no name for the Sergeant yet - can you guess what inspired him? His other arm will have a power fist rested across his knee. The heavy bolter guy, when finished, will have a fully sculpted doorway he is stood in, it'll hopefully look cool.
Sgt and Heavy:
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa117/turelhimvampire/Picture018.jpg
2 Marines - the one on the left will be posed walking backwards - he's supposed to be the rearguard of the squad. The one on the right will be stood near the Sergeant, voxing in to HQ - I need to sculpt fingers pressing into the side of his headset. His gun is supposed to look like it is magnetized to his chest - I wanted the whole "at ease" pose to come across. Does it work?
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa117/turelhimvampire/Picture021.jpg

Well, this is as far as it looks so far... I have the Assault at Black Reach and Space Marine Spearhead box sets pre-ordered ready to expand this force. For the list I am considering Vulkan Hestan, lots of marines in rhinos, and as many drop-podding dreadnoughts as I can fit.

As always, comments and critique will be most appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
most of them time people don't have anything to say and they just like to look at the pics. To me, your marine conversions have inspired me to start my own fully converted army but instead i will fall to the chaos gods and have it slightly dragon themed, in a daemonic sort of way. i want to see how well you can paint if this is how great your modeling is.

#5 ·
I really love the action poses, by the way. Wayyy too much work for a guard army to fully convert for me to do something similar, but I can get away with a squad or two myself, which I will thanks to you...

#7 ·
I think

I think that your conversions are amazing. I am working on my own marines at the moment and I am having a hard enough time painting them for heat one let alone think about conversions.

I love the marine vaulting the wall. I think that a bit of a step by step on how you did it would go down well.

Oh and about the comments. I think you just have to get used to the way that comments ebb and flow. The project forum is really busy at the moment so everyone gets fewer responses really. Keep an eye on how many people have taken a look and I am sure you will be pleased at how many people are taking an interest.

#9 ·
the bases are kick ass dude! and as was already mentioned, these marines have character which is always good, you almost want them to win, until you remember they are marines and should be wiped clean from the universe :)

the khorne helm guy is my favourite, I just love how those look.

#10 ·
Lookin' good so far! I love the conversion work. I love the usage of the chapter master pieces and the conversions you did with them. If I may make on suggestion for the Captain: file his neck down. I had to do the same with all of my chapter masters. They made the necks a bit too long for their bodies and in conjunction with the power armor, they look a little odd. Once you do it you'll see what I mean. I think my favorite one is the marine leaping over the low wall. Good job and keep it up. These will be stunning once they're painted!

Cheers,
Jake

#12 ·
It's coming along nicely, just putting together some elements of the Assault on Black Reach box set to go in the army, and with a couple of weeks until I get my Spearhead all is going well.

At the moment I have at least 5 members of each squad mostly done, a dreadnought assembled, another in the process of being converted, and the rhinos for each squad assembled. One rhino is painted, just needing the storm bolter gluing on.

I'll aim to get some more photos done this weekend.

I have a tight, but easily workable schedule planned out for the next month on getting all the models assembled and green stuffed so that all of october and november can be spent painting them all.

#13 ·
Well... as you can see, still no pictures. I've decided to hold back until I have something to show, like a completed squad. All the models are assembled but a lot need basing. The exception to this is Vulkan Hestan, who I have started again on to make him look like the artwork in the Codex. Hopefully everything will be based by the end of the week.

We shall see...

#17 ·
the action poses of the marines are fantabulous. seriously, you have added mobility to models that (out of the box) look like they will stumble around like zombies or say things like "I've fallen and I cant get up". the dynamic poses are very well done and keep proper proportions... heroic proportions. Good luck at the tourney and rep for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.